The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How long do Turbos last?

rider

I've been thinking what to do with replacing my Japanese spec Turbos when they finally fail but they aren't showing any signs of deteriorating. The car and turbos have covered 112k miles now and I'm used to turbo diesels always giving up after 80k miles. How long do these Supra turbos generally go on for with regular oil changes which used to mean every 9,000 miles but for the last 10 years its more like every 2,000 miles.

I've been thinking what to do with replacing my Japanese spec Turbos when they finally fail but they aren't showing any signs of deteriorating. The car and turbos have covered 112k miles now and I'm used to turbo diesels always giving up after 80k miles. How long do these Supra turbos generally go on for with regular oil changes which used to mean every 9,000 miles but for the last 10 years its more like every 2,000 miles.

had mine last to about 160k km

What boost are you running, 1 bar or less and they should last another 100k

No idea, there are no gauges or even adjustable or variable valves that I've seen or found in 18 years of ownership. I'd suspect it is boosted beyond standard as it rolling road tested about 10 years ago with 340bhp at the drive wheels.

How long is a piece of string?:D

that's hard to know beyond it has a start and a finish. A bit like Turbos in a car will usually last at least and go as far as. All I know is my pair are still fine at 110k miles, hence the question on other reference points. You have to at least find the string before you can size it up.

I was thinking single but decided 3 years ago long term the cars value will be enhanced by its originality so I'd likely go hybrid twins. Seems I can expect them to fail any day!

You are in the same boat as I am, I bought a new HKS T51R Kai single kit back in 2007 but I never installed it and sold the kit away (I should have kept it..). But today I´m happy I did not ended up to single my car (There is nothing wrong with the single Supras when everything has been carried out right (quality built in every way)).

that's hard to know beyond it has a start and a finish. A bit like Turbos in a car will usually last at least and go as far as. All I know is my pair are still fine at 110k miles, hence the question on other reference points. You have to at least find the string before you can size it up.

A piece of string is twice the length from the middle to then end !