The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance - for guys in the 700bhp+ bracket

np89

Hi guys,

I know this is a fairly commonly asked question on here but specifically for guys in the 700bhp+ club, who are you using and what are your specific circumstances and premiums?

Finding my renewal has increased from last year, not by much mind but dont really want to pay £1k if I can help it given Ive 9 years no claims, never had any accidents claims or convictions and a fairly tame occupation so not really in a high risk bracket. (28yrs of age, Chartered Accountant, NI postcode low risk area)

Just finding it hard to get any other insurer to give a half sensible quote from what i already have.

Not sure if its the value being £25k based on itemised cost but the increase from £16k 2 years ago to £25k last year was the reason for a £150 increase last year. I'm going on the basis of what it would cost me to essentially build another one, not what the market value is as I'm sure most of you remember my opinions on that.

All input appreciated

Thanks

Niall

Car old enough to qualify as a classic yet? Mine turned 20 this year so managed to get a policy with Footman James.

Yea its a '93 UK Spec. Footman James can't insure it because of the horsepower increase from standard apparently. Which is a shame!

I spoke to LV but they are wanting me to be over 30 for a classic policy!

Adrian flux here mate. £600 a year, £25k agreed value, all mods declared. I'm 33 with 5 years no claims. Sky were good too at around £680.

/QUOTE]

Flux are my current insurer, have managed to get them down to £864.33 so far, had to drop my value a bit and add my dad on. Just hoping to see if I can get a better quote to make them match or beat it in the next few weeks. Got 3 weeks until renewal so here's hoping!

- - - Updated - - -

Lancaster were a joy to talk to, really understand the modifications and gave me a great quote

Gave them a shout, they are to come back to me with a quote but as you say, great to deal with, hopefully they can do something for me!

Just as an FYI update, with the Lancaster, SKY and other common insurers, been finding great difficulty getting insured because of living in Northern Ireland, seems it still carries a bit of a stigma, which is unfortunate.

Best quote so far has actually been with Greenlight, through Markerstudy allowing me:

- Ceiling of unlimited modifications up to 850bhp, which would be plenty for me

- Protected no claims

- Driving other cars extension (which I know is fairly standard for 25+)

- Glass cover

- Legal cover up to £100,000

- Like for like replacement on Mods in the event of an accident or theft resulting in loss or damage

I also received a 15% discount for being an owners club member, not MKIVsupra unfortunately but another NI based one, but perhaps this is something a club rep could look to set up?

As a bonus, that was just with me insured and didn't have to add on any older family members, so all straight and upfront.