The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Die$eL here

Guest Die$eL

Hi all,

My first post on the forum. I've seen some posts of member's rides and i'm drooling!

I'm in the process of buying my first Supra. These are fairly rare in South Africa, especially ones that are locally registered.

Its been my dream all along to get a Supra but I never really though it would actually happen.

The history of the one i'm buying is that it was completely stripped for respray.

It was sprayed and had a kit moulded on.

The car was never reassembled after being sprayed. The current owner says he has all the parts minus the sump, pistons, rods and crank.

i've realised that I didnt notice a radiator and intercooler in the pile of spares that he showed me. Also I have not seen the exhaust lying around.

It has a custom interior (all in pieces). The cylinder head was redone and comes with a set of HKS cams (i'm not sure the duration)

Its auto and has the stock twin turbos.

The paint is cracking as its been standing outside for about 4 years in the sun.

I realise that its going to require ALOT of work and it will be a long while before it's on the road again.

The plan is to assemble as much of it as possible for now. Then i'll relook at my budget and see if I can afford to go forged internals. If not, i'll wait and do that later when I'm converting it from Auto to Manual.

My other rides are a 2001 MR2 1ZZ-FE with a turbo fitted and lots of other extras

An 86 which is the wife's daily drive. Just has coilovers and some TRD bits

A Fortuner 4x4

I'm not sure why but people automatically just assume i'm a Toyota fan (oh and they are correct)

20161025_111744aaa.jpg

20161025_111833aaa.jpg

20161025_111739aaa.jpg

Thanks all.

The owner has lost the logbook/papers (not sure what its referred to across the pond). So I'm waiting for him to get a new copy before we conclude the deal and I fetch the car.

I'm considering buying a donor vehicle which is not registered in the country just for spares. I will hopefully pick up one for around $7400 or so

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

So please excuse if I post some silly questions. I'm new to the Supra scene.

Currently the car has an auto box. There is a guy selling a 2JZ-GTE motor (non-vvt) and manual V160 box.

Whats the difference between the V161 & V160 other than ratios? Is one more reliable? Can they both handle the same power output?

Should I look for a VVT motor instead?

I should know whether I'm getting the car within the next 7 to 10 days (hopefully)

• 2 months later...

So I ended up cancelling the deal.

Really bummed.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another one though. Will hopefully be joining the Supra family soon enough

Hi all,

These are fairly rare in South Africa, especially ones that are locally registered.

I was looking last week at the prices of Supras in Australia and they seem quite keen relative to Japanese current prices. Would the fresh imports into SA normally come via Japan or Australia? Anyway, you should check out the Aussie prices as that could be a good way to get hold of a Supra.

I was looking last week at the prices of Supras in Australia and they seem quite keen relative to Japanese current prices. Would the fresh imports into SA normally come via Japan or Australia? Anyway, you should check out the Aussie prices as that could be a good way to get hold of a Supra.

they generally come from japan or botswana, lesotho or other neighbouring african countries. since those countries do not manufacture cars they import. We not allowed to as we manufacture and govt does not want to effect the local market. The issue is not getting it here, the issue is getting it registered in SA. It's only allowed in certain cases. Like for collectors (you need to own a certain number of cars to be considered a collector) Since I cant afford to be a collector I need to find one that is already registered