The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getrag Dilema

SPG

Hi Guys,

I am currently piecing together the last few parts for my most recent Supra project. Now I have the opinion of either a V160 or V161 to use, which will be coupled with either a B03b or Large Case U.K. Diff (Auto). I have a A02b as back up also should the option be presented.

This project won't be pushing for power, and will most likely see BPU at a push. I'll be using this car for the odd spirited drive around the countryside not really fussed about the motorway.

I'm just trying to see which combo you guys have and a little help with selecting the right combo for my project.

Base car is an Aerotop with TT.

I have a V160 coupled with a B04D (UK Auto), I find it provides great acceleration and it holds a nice balance on a back road for swinging on and off boost but on the cruise say at 70 odd mph it revs about 3000rpm in 5th which to me is a little high but dropping into 6th will drop to about 2500rpm

For my build I went with a V161 and coupled that with the Large casing LSD from a 6speed manual (B03B) as I wanted good low down acceleration and not run out at top end or when in higher gears.

I think this is a perfect setup for every day use or just the odd spirited drive around the country side.

I have a V160 coupled with a B04D (UK Auto), I find it provides great acceleration and it holds a nice balance on a back road for swinging on and off boost but on the cruise say at 70 odd mph it revs about 3000rpm in 5th which to me is a little high but dropping into 6th will drop to about 2500rpm

/QUOTE]

Not too bad then using the B04D with the V160, I'm led to believe that this V161 has shorter ratio's to the RPM in 6th would be higher than 2500 if coupled with the B04D in 6th.

For my build I went with a V161 and coupled that with the Large casing LSD from a 6speed manual (B03B) as I wanted good low down acceleration and not run out at top end or when in higher gears.

I think this is a perfect setup for every day use or just the odd spirited drive around the country side.

In my RSP I have this set-up from the factory, unusual I realise, but I'm really pleased with the way my car drives with this set-up also.

Andrew how do you find motorway speeds with your V161/B03B? I'm sure my car sits around the 2400rpm mark in 6th, from memory.

Not too bad then using the B04D with the V160, I'm led to believe that this V161 has shorter ratio's to the RPM in 6th would be higher than 2500 if coupled with the B04D in 6th.

In my RSP I have this set-up from the factory, unusual I realise, but I'm really pleased with the way my car drives with this set-up also.

Andrew how do you find motorway speeds with your V161/B03B? I'm sure my car sits around the 2400rpm mark in 6th, from memory.

Punching the values into that gear ratio calculator thats on the forum it looks like the values I see on my car are accurate and then using the V161, at 72mph you would see 3000rpm in 6th

My car has a V160 with large case TRD diff with an unusual diff ratio of 3:538. This was done deliberately by the previous owner by changing the crown and pinion in the diff.

Apparently it sits between the auto and manual diff ratio and gives quicker lower gear response, but does sacrifice some higher end power.

This is on a single turbo though.

Punching the values into that gear ratio calculator thats on the forum it looks like the values I see on my car are accurate and then using the V161, at 72mph you would see 3000rpm in 6th

/QUOTE]

Top man :)

My car has a V160 with large case TRD diff with an unusual diff ratio of 3:538. This was done deliberately by the previous owner by changing the crown and pinion in the diff.

Apparently it sits between the auto and manual diff ratio and gives quicker lower gear response, but does sacrifice some higher end power.

This is on a single turbo though.

good to know, I have a TRD diff awaiting to be installed in my RSP, but that is a V161.

Thanks Nic, I was using this but wondered how the real life driving experience differed.

It's pretty good to be honest, I drove it all the way to the Nurburgring last weekend and the majority of the journey was on the (E40) motorway, cruising along at around 80mph off boost I remember looking down at my rev counter and being surprised at how low the rev's were but I can't remember exactly though now (brains like a sieve) but think it was about 2500 / 3000rpm.