The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Preventative maintainance

Brian888

So with winter coming I'm considering doing a few things on the car. Was looking for suggestions/ bad experiences on what I can do above the usual service type stuff to future proof it. Not looking to spend a huge amount as a new crank pulley is on the list and it's had new fuel and water pump and timing belt recently.

It's also had new alternator, starter motor and rad in last few years I believe. .

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Get some Poorboys natural look vinyl dressing and treat the dash and door cards with it, you can use it on the

door seals and boot seal as well, if your car has leather do the same with Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner.

Mechanically if you've done all the fluids i'd be having a close look at the brakes and brake lines/fuel lines. Take the pads

out to check the outer piston seals as these perish with age.

Check the front cross member rad support from underneath as they're prone to corrosion

Replace turbo/VSV hoses? Seems a nice cheap little job if you don't break any of the VSV's.

Mechanically if you've done all the fluids i'd be having a close look at the brakes and brake lines/fuel lines. Take the pads

out to check the outer piston seals as these perish with age.

Check the front cross member rad support from underneath as they're prone to corrosion

Exactly what's on my winter list, along with sills and complete smarten up of the whole underneath of the car and underseal. Also on the list is to replace all rubber hoses, vac and coolant, and turbo link pipes.

Definitely check the hard brake lines, especially by the fuel tank under the little plastic cover held on by one 10mm bolt.

Coil pack/pack connectors?

If you are looking at long term/forever ownership could perhaps accumulate some parts that will only get rarer, a spare ECU, dash clocks etc?

Exactly what's on my winter list, along with sills and complete smarten up of the whole underneath of the car and underseal. Also on the list is to replace all rubber hoses, vac and coolant, and turbo link pipes.

Check your diff cooler as well, offside rear arch under a plastic cover

Get underneath and tackle any surface rust on the sub frame and floor areas. If you can take the skirts off and check over the sills for rust and treat as necessary. These cars are rusting nicely under all the plastic bits so its shouldn't be a case of out of sight. it'll be rust that'll see the Supra of 10 to 20 years time head off to the scrap heap or very expensive resotration.

Check your diff cooler as well, offside rear arch under a plastic cover

Already disconnected years ago Dnk :/ One of the pipes leading up to it sprung a leak, so we just chopped it and looped the circuit with a length of rubber hose. I intend to plum it back in soon, but first need to check the condition of the cooler itself, then will decide whether to replace with stock, or source a suitably sized aftermarket replacement.

Am I correct it assuming that as my diff light has never come on, that shows that the pump is still running correctly?

Already disconnected years ago Dnk :/ One of the pipes leading up to it sprung a leak, so we just chopped it and looped the circuit with a length of rubber hose. I intend to plum it back in soon, but first need to check the condition of the cooler itself, then will decide whether to replace with stock, or source a suitably sized aftermarket replacement.

Am I correct it assuming that as my diff light has never come on, that shows that the pump is still running correctly?

I did the same with mine and never had any issues, no idea regards the pump

• 2 weeks later...