The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hopefully not as bad as it looks

Coombesy

Last night a first bus very kindly nailed the rear quarter of the supra. Hopefully it just looks worse than it is! First rang me this morning and said they would pay the costs and get me a temporary vehicle whilst the supra is getting fixed. The noise of metal on metal specially being the supra was horrendous!

What do you guys think about the damage?!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ouch sorry to see this. Seems very strange a big company doesn't want to go through insurance but that could work in your favour.

To me that looks repairable without the need to replace the whole quarter panel. So long as the boot shut line is still nice. To me it looks like us just the sheet metal.

If there paying. I would be getting it put into the best garage I know of. No expense spared. And get first to speak to the garage so the bill goes direct to them. No back tracking of there park

Sent from the land of make believe

Mine was worse than this and Baldy on this forum sorted it to a very high standard. Get in touch with him by pm.

Ouch! Certainly repairable, but an expensive repair to do properly on a Supra in that location and the colour of your car. YOU must choose the bodyshop, not them. Its a bus, their bodyshops will be spraying their damaged buses to a standard and price required for buses, not a Supra.

You do not want to be left with a rear quarter stuffed with filler which may cause you grief later down the line. Or blend lines on your rear quarter leading up to the roof, as this is where nearly all bodyshops will choose to blend to avoid painting the roof and rear quarter on the other side.

Whatever it costs to put your car back to no less than the exact standard prior to their mishap is what their cost is. Do not be lenient on this in any way.

Yeah they rang and said they'd pay costs either I get quotes from whom want to use. Or use a garage approved by them. They didn't want to use insurance either which I found strange but works in my benefit

That sounds suspiciously like a blank cheque. Pretty lucky they're not going through insurance, I've heard some nasty horror stories of certain insurers waving their hands in the air without a single clue how to source/fix/value repairs on Supras, leading to nasty Cat D classifications.

Bogged up with filler or a new rear 3/4 panel, that's the question. A *PROPER* 3/4 panel renewal, assuming you can still buy them, would be 3K plus. If not done properly I would prefer it pulled and bogged by someone with skill and patience. I suspect the company are expecting a bog job and a bill for a few hundred...

I rattled my Skyline down the Oulton Park tyre barrier years back and had a new 3/4 panel done *properly*. You would never know, and it's perfect still. But it was very expensive. If the shell hadn't been totally and utterly accident free and rust free I'd have reshelled it.

Sorry to see that, what a PITA!

I've had my rear 3/4 repaired and totally replaced.

First repair was done for under 1K, but you could see the paint they tried to blend in along the roof line.

Replacement is going to need respray of roof and even down the other side unless you want to blend lines. Windows out, interior out etc as they need to bake it to make it last and they cant do that with everything in the car. An expensive but proper job.

I'd still go insurance route to cover my ass in terms of them bailing at the costs!

This is what you need, think the part number is 61611-1B120 for the offside panel, 558 euro on toyodiy

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1995_TOYOTA_SUPRA_JZA80R-ALPVZW_6101.html

A nice diagram here

http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=527965&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15451&modelYear=1995&ukey_category=21641

quarter panel.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Yeah they rang and said they'd pay costs either I get quotes from whom want to use. Or use a garage approved by them. They didn't want to use insurance either which I found strange but works in my benefit

That sounds dodgy as hell.

Get that agreement in writing, or I bet they back away from rapidly it when they find out how much it will cost. Strictly speaking, they should be notifying their insurance of any accidents regardless of whether there is a claim or not (like we all should, but obviously no one does). I would expect a company to operate more "by the book".

Just got off the phone with them. It's there claims company I have to deal with. First person I spoke too didn't explain everything properly. I get to choose the garage I want to use, but they are informing my insurance of the 'incident'

It looks like the panel was pushed against the fuel tank then popped back. Not really going to know the true extent until it goes to the garage

Really don't want the car being a cat d

Insurance would pop it out and repair as its the cheaper option. Although it wont be easy given all the wing lines that are now bent/flattened.

If its been repaired previously then better to replace it I'd imagine otherwise it'll probably end up looking like a dogs dinner.

Regarding insurance write off stuff, Supra's are going up in value, you need to justify this to them with evidence and how hard it would be to replace with same model etc. I think you're far from that situation, especially if its just going to be a repair.

Edited by Bobbeh (see edit history)

Just got off the phone with them. It's there claims company I have to deal with. First person I spoke too didn't explain everything properly. I get to choose the garage I want to use, but they are informing my insurance of the 'incident'

It looks like the panel was pushed against the fuel tank then popped back. Not really going to know the true extent until it goes to the garage

Really don't want the car being a cat d

If I was you I'd do through a claims company of your own too.

Shouldn't you be contacting your insurance about this ? if its getting repaired by the bus comp it won't be a Cat D

Its only if they wont repair it and pay you out x amount it will become a Cat D, it'll all

come down to the cost of the repair compared to the value of your car.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I do believe you should be calling your insurance company yourself.

Taken from the which.co.uk website...

Make sure you tell your insurer about the car accident as soon as you can. Failure to do so within the time period set out in your policy may invalidate your cover, leaving you with a big bill to pay. Make sure you check the wording of your car insurance policy carefully as these time periods can be anything from two days to two weeks after the accident. You should always inform your car insurance company about an accident, even if you don't want to make a claim.

I had the rear quarter done on mine a few years back. Full cut out, re weld, paint etc came to over 2.5k! It was an NA and insurance tried to write the car off; took lots of phone calls but they agreed eventually