The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would a high number of previous owners put you off?

Wonga Spar

Certain cheaper Supras seem to have very high numbers of previous owners (10-15+), would this put some of you off? It suggests that nobody has loved the car enough to warrant keeping it for any length of time, but it also suggests some of those owners have bought it, poured money into it and then pushed it forward.

What do you fellas reckon?

If it was as high as 10 or more UK owners it would personally ring alarm bells to me. (i do always assume the worst though)

I'd be concerned as you say lots of people who haven't loved it, more bought for a toy and sell on when due a service and mot.

Or worst still it's been passed around traders pulling the nice bits off, or it has problems that each owner doesn't want to fix.

Certain cheaper Supras seem to have very high numbers of previous owners (10-15+), would this put some of you off? It suggests that nobody has loved the car enough to warrant keeping it for any length of time, but it also suggests some of those owners have bought it, poured money into it and then pushed it forward.

15+ Jesus I'm the 3rd keeper from new.

Dont think it does. If you look over a car individually and its clean, i dosent matter. You can have a car with 15 owners thats been serviced well and is relatively clean. Then a car with less owners that hasnt been well serviced thats worse off. Rule of thumb would be less owners...more clean. But the amountnof supras ive seen suggests otherwise. I wouldnt worry about amount of owners. Personally id give the car a good looking over. Inner arches...sills...underside condition...leaks...knocks...fluid condition...how it runs/ drives. Overall interior wear

Not sure it suggests that to be honest. I actually think it suggests the opposite and its been moved on

before an owners spent a penny on it.

I would still look at the car though but always assume the worst and out of the 15 owners how many

treated it as it should be, more owners more risk in my opinion.

Not sure it suggests that to be honest. I actually think it suggests the opposite and its been moved on

before an owners spent a penny on it.

I would still look at the car though but always assume the worst and out of the 15 owners how many

treated it as it should be, more owners more risk in my opinion.

Are there even that many issues that can cost much to fix on an NA-5 Supra? Surely worst case scenario this 'huge' problem is a £500 job.

Are there even that many issues that can cost much to fix on an NA-5 Supra? Surely worst case scenario this 'huge' problem is a £500 job.

I think you need to assess each car individually, go look at the 15 owner cars and see what they're like, do they have

any history, any of the known parts that fail replaced, been serviced every year etc

If so then the amount of owners is less worrying but when you come to sell it will put others off

£500 is roughly the starting point for non-routine jobs done by a garage. Suspension knackered? Parts + labour is into 4 figures. Heater matrix blocked or leaking? You'd best sit down. Knackered W58 gearbox? Parts + labour will be £1000+.

£500 is cute, but if you do anything related to driveline,suspension,chassis etc then get ready to spend 10 times your original estimate.

A lot of people save up to own cars like these. Then realise they can't afford to put fuel in it, they can't afford to insure it etc so they sell it on. Some of these cars are 23 years old so is 15 really that surprising. I once had an e36 with 18 previous owners the car had been drifted and generally had a very hard life but it still drove well and looked good. Supras/Soarers etc are seriously well made and can survive a little neglect that's just part of the fun of owning older imports is fixing all that stuff up putting other peoples wrongs right.

BUT if the owner before you was a lunatic then your going to have your work cut out

:thumbs:

A lot of people save up to own cars like these. Then realise they can't afford to put fuel in it, they can't afford to insure it etc so they sell it on.

:iagree: especially for young lads spending £2k+ a year in insurance/tax/fuel.

I'm not picky with regards to owner numbers as long as the car itself is in reasonable condition. If I can't identify any undisclosed issues through a visual inspection and test drive that's on me. I have low standards perhaps.

Would only worry me if Burna or Pig were on the previous owners list, then I'd panic!! ;)

Never raced or rallied ;)

I actually had me last runabout (Cupra R) written off not long after Pig had a go in it :rlol:

It's best just to burn them after we've had a go in them :D