The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stunning investment spec Supra for sale in Japan

j_jza80

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its had bodywork done to it by the looks of the pictures of bodyshops in the listing, not for the untouched oem guru out there.

A lot of the Japanese adverts have such pictures, and I'm sure it's basically advertising the services that are available, and nothing to do with specific cars :)

I'm looking for a dash panel and having no luck. That dash imo really needs changing, certainly for someone who wants originality. Hope it's just wrapped and can be removed.

Secondly, I feel those skirts date the car and much prefer the optional ones, again imo.

Lastly, shouldn't a facelift RZ have an active spoiler as standard? No dash button for it. Maybe if this had EVERY option going but this doesn't have that much more than just the low mileage going for it than mine does. And mine was a good bit less than half that!

I'm looking for a dash panel and having no luck. That dash imo really needs changing, certainly for someone who wants originality. Hope it's just wrapped and can be removed.

Secondly, I feel those skirts date the car and much prefer the optional ones, again imo.

Lastly, shouldn't a facelift RZ have an active spoiler as standard? No dash button for it. Maybe if this had EVERY option going but this doesn't have that much more than just the low mileage going for it than mine does. And mine was a good bit less than half that!

Optional skirts are bad for the car, they cause rust along the door sills and the bottom edge of the doors.

Much prefer the stock body myself :)

Optional skirts are bad for the car, they cause rust along the door sills and the bottom edge of the doors.

Much prefer the stock body myself :)

I wasn't aware that they attributed to rust around those areas

My Supra currently has the optional skirts and spats (it was imported with them on) but I have just got hold of some original skirts and hockey sticks as I prefer this look myself too

I think they are saying the plastic skirt eventually rubs the paint off of the underside of the steel door and top side ie underneath the plastic of the sideskirt of the steel sill. In my experience this is very much slight cosmetic rusting, not ideal but we are not talking sill/doors holes resulting from this!

I think they are saying the plastic skirt eventually rubs the paint off of the underside of the steel door and top side ie underneath the plastic of the sideskirt of the steel sill. In my experience this is very much slight cosmetic rusting, not ideal but we are not talking sill/doors holes resulting from this!

Exactly :) But left untreated it would obviously eventually cause further damage, first thing i'd do if I bought a car with oem skirts is remove them and check for any damage.

Forgive the next stupid question then. If the plastic skirt is rubbing the paint off the metal, that means the skirt is moving? So how does the skirt move when it has like 20 fixings?

It has fixings underneath, but the top where it meets the sill is just held on with double sided foam tape from the factory, sometimes with some silicone sealant too. As Swampy said, vibration will do some of it, using the doors, and maybe the skirts slightly change shape with age?