The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Bay Stock/OEM paint colours

Sheefa

Hi all

I've got a few areas in my engine bay I would like to sort this month. Nothing major just a few chips and spots of discolouration etc. The engine bay paint code is clearly different to the exterior, although it looks to have a hint of the 199 alpine silver in it. Can anyone help please and provide the code? We're the engine bay paint codes different for each exterior colour option?

Many thanks

Greg

Hi all

I've got a few areas in my engine bay I would like to sort this month. Nothing major just a few chips and spots of discolouration etc. The engine bay paint code is clearly different to the exterior, although it looks to have a hint of the 199 alpine silver in it. Can anyone help please and provide the code? We're the engine bay paint codes different for each exterior colour option?

Many thanks

Greg

I've always thought the engine bays on supras were the same colour but just base-coat? I.e. Without the laquer.

I've always thought the engine bays on supras were the same colour but just base-coat? I.e. Without the laquer.

+1

+2: I've got a MSB supra and the engine bay looks like MSB too, but without the glossy finish of the laquer.

I thought that but I have the Chipex kit and genuine Toyota touch up pen, both aren't premixed with lacquer, but it is definitely a different colour to the exterior.

The silver supras are the only ones to have just primmer under the bonnet.

/QUOTE]

Ah thanks mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Simon sent me a small pot of grey engine bay paint to touch up a few areas and once the paint has dried looks spot on!

Perfect, cheers Chris.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
11 hours ago, edviss said:

Good day! Trying to revive old thread. 

anyone can help with 199 silver engine bay? I know it is only primer but i cant seem to find what shade of primer it is. I bought like 6 different primer cans, none of them match. 

Surely any good paint shop with a paint plan could match it?

3 minutes ago, rider said:

the engine bay is the same paint as the car just not lacquer top coated.

My exact thought, a production line isn't going to spray a shell in different colours, the problems I think the 199 owners are having here is discolouration of a light colour with engine oils etc staining an unsealed surface

6 hours ago, edviss said:

all 199 supras have primer in engine bay instead of actual colour. Every other colour of supra is painted with the same paint without lacquer. 

I do doubt that Toyota would leave an engine bay unpainted and especially unlikely on one specific colour only.

Seems this has come up elsewhere and the difference in colour is put down to the lack of clear coat:

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/engine-bay-color-code.1125954/

It’s sometimes surprising what a difference to the colour a clear coat (or lack thereof) can make, however if you’re convinced the engine bay isn’t 199 minus the clear coat then having the paint mixed is likely your only option. I believe primer, if that’s all it is, tends not to have a paint code. 

Edited by Hamilton (see edit history)