The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Evening from Essex

Guest Mr. Struts

Guest Mr. Struts

Heya everyone, just some half-teenager/half-adult here who desperately wants a Supra.

No, I don't own one yet and probably won't for a few years anyway thanks to the exorbitant insurance fees (probably will have to wait 5+ years then, and plus I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere), plus I'm yet to even learn how to drive :rolleyes:

I am coming up for 20 in November though so maybe there could be there an ever so small chance of the insurance being a tiny bit lower, however I'm not hoping for anything.

I would get a hatchback as my first car after passing my test, but frankly us young people already get a bad enough reputation in hatchbacks, and I wouldn't touch hatchbacks with a long stick. :tongue:

Anyway, sorry if that was a bit of a downer to read, hoping to see what kind of advice you could give for someone who's looking for a decent MkIV. :)

I had to wait til 22 for mine because of the insurance cost and that was with 3 years of driving experience. It sucks especially since they raised the insurance tax last year so it'll be even more expensive.

Nothing wrong with hatchbacks, they're very spacious and economical ;)

Guest Mr. Struts

Well this Supra I found is naturally aspirated but it looks absolutely stunning, plus the exhaust tip is pretty big as well (yes, I like big exhaust tips, that's just what I grew up with on my little racing games :p).

Still, no matter what I am not going to buy a hatchback for my first car. Don't convince me otherwise :p

It is doable but insurance is the worst part, I inherited mine from my mum (NA) and been insured since 18 on our multicar policy.

Main thing is to respect the power as it can catch you out being rwd and a new driver (found out on a few occasions lol)

If your anywhere near me mines back on the road November and I'll might even have a spare seat for the supra meet at bluewater and can see some of the lovely ones that go

Guest Mr. Struts

Ooh, that would be good. When's the Supra meet? I'd be able to go down to Bluewater if my dad has that day off from work. Could anyone perhaps suggest some insurance providers that would cater for modified cars and young people like me?

I know exactly why the insurance would be astronomical, but I'm sure that there are some providers that cater for those who would rather take care of their car than bash it on the M25.

Elephant was the cheapest for me (about £1100 for the first year) and seems to be popular with other younger members but I switched to admiral multicar for the second year so if you're still living with parents that's a good option too.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?206257-Bluewater-meet-every-month here's the thread for the bluewater thing. It's the first friday of every month so next one should be October 4th I think?

Guest Mr. Struts

Ooh, that's pretty decent; what age were you when you bought the insurance from Elephant, mc92? I'm planning to include my dad on the insurance policy as well, since he loves cars just as much as I do - although our family car is a hatchback (a necessity though because of the boot space needed for various things), it's a Ford Grand C-Max that has EcoBoost, and my hairs stand on end whenever he puts the pedal down on motorways :D

Oh and I think you meant November 4th ;)

And much appreciated, Shawn ^_^ I'm planning to start learning how to drive after Halloween, in the time following up to my 20th birthday :)

Edited by Mr. Struts (see edit history)

Ooh, that's pretty decent; what age were you when you bought the insurance from Elephant, mc92? I'm planning to include my dad on the insurance policy as well, since he loves cars just as much as I do - although our family car is a hatchback (a necessity though because of the boot space needed for various things), it's a Ford Grand C-Max that has EcoBoost, and my hairs stand on end whenever he puts the pedal down on motorways :D

And much appreciated, Shawn ^_^ I'm planning to start learning how to drive after Halloween, in the time following up to my 20th birthday :)

Do what my son did get your dad to buy a Supra as a father son project and hopefully you will get to drive it. My son is 22 and he drives my 700 +hp car to the local Bluewater meet.

I got that quote when I was 22. You're right it's in November not October, I'm 23 now so getting senile in my old age :D . I put my mother on the insurance as a secondary driver to drop the price down a bit even though she's too scared to drive the Supra.

Guest Mr. Struts
Do what my son did get your dad to buy a Supra as a father son project and hopefully you will get to drive it. My son is 22 and he drives my 700 +hp car to the local Bluewater meet.

I'll think about it. The only problem is I'd be driving it more since he works for First (bus company), so as I said I'm most likely going to add him as a second person on the insurance policy - I think it might help a lot actually because he's been driving for around 20 years now, and so he has a huge wealth of knowledge about driving. Probably might help me when I practise outside of paid driving lessons.