The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member - finally found a UK car

Guest Rsb

Hi,

Well I have been a lurker for a while, sponging off your knowledge base. It is great to now be able to own one of these fabulous machines so thought it about time that I said hello.

Everyone has a Supra story - here is mine. Being a teenager in the 90s, I was lucky enough to have plenty of Jap exotica to distract me from the boredom of growing up and being able to dream. When I saw Top Gear in 1993 with Tiff Neddell's review of the Supra (L62 BPL - not sure if it is still alive), I was hooked. I promptly took to my word processor that was cutting edge in it's day and drafted a letter to Toyota UK professing my love for the Supra and begging for a brochure and a poster. I didn't expect much back but a week later I came home from school to the giddy excitement of a poster tube with my name on it and, low and behold, some kind soul had read my letter and taken pity on my need. That poster, to this day, still resides on the wall on what was my bedroom at my parents' house.

Fast forward 23 years and that itch needed to be scratched. After much searching, I found a good UK car with low mileage and good history. I know a manual is more desirable but I love not having a clutch. I have not been disappointed and my dream is still alive - this is the best car I have owned / own / ever will own. I will no doubt be tapping into your knowledge base again as things need doing. I have to say, Toyota have been very helpful with parts at a competitive price and it is great to see such a following for these amazing cars.

Thank you for welcoming me into your club.

[img]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/Ravi_Bansal/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6083_zpshtsa24vw.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/Ravi_Bansal/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6084_zpsskqfhtjg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/Ravi_Bansal/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6113_zpsxmqidvsk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t422/Ravi_Bansal/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6086_zpsipzfobbb.jpg[/img]

Edited by Rsb (see edit history)

Welcome to the club !! Nice to see another uk making it back to the fold and in the hands of an enthusiast :) it looks in really good condition, any plans for it ?

Thanks Tyson, yes she spent most of her life just going to the shops and back by a mature lady!

I really want to keep it stock. I know there are some great modified cars but I am a bit old fashioned.

Have you done much to yours?

Thanks for all your positive comments. She has done nearly 94k and has a history file of Toyota servicing etc.

So far I have replaced broken headlight, machine polished paint and came up lovely, needed new alarm system, had wheels refurbed, replaced front cowl and seal as was starting to perish as well as some other small niggles.

I am amazed how good it is to drive compared to modern cars. It still feels so fresh and exciting. They really need to start making cars like this again!

Has it had anything more than servicing done on top of what you've mentioned ?

Yes - cambelt done 2012 and again last year with cam seals as well. It went for cam seal changes and I think they did cambelt purely as they already had the engine apart. Also brakes done within last couple of years although hasn't done many miles since then. Normal replacement consumables battery etc so pretty much up to date.

Things to perhaps check

Crank pulley condition, if it looks original/old and the cars a keeper I'd put it on the top of the to do list. TCB Parts is a good source for these and some other bits too.

The intercooler it probably past it's best if original, but not so much an issue if stock boost.

Underneath, just in front of the fuel tank guard up high close to the body the brake and fuel hard lines disappear behind a small plastic cover (10mm bolt) and it's worth checking out behind it for any corrosion to the lines (it's fairly common that they can be in much worse shape than the parts of the lines you can see)

Scooter beat me to my next post :)

To add to the list i'd have a look underneath at the radiator support cross member

which is prone to rotting, also in the offside rear wheel arch you'll find the diff cooler

behind a plastic cover which could well be on its last legs.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thanks for all your advise. I am hoping she is generally ok but I know there are things worth checking. When the wheels were off being refurbed I managed to have a better look underneath and in wheel arches etc. It is amazing all the dirt that collects and spent ages clearing them out - definitely something to stay on top of

Another couple of things to check :)

Get someone to start the car after an overnight stop while you watch the exhaust, you could

get a few seconds of blueish grey smoke out of the exhaust, this is down to old drying up valve

stem seals, i'd be surprised if it doesn't at this age and mileage.

You could also have seized eccentric adjusters on the suspension arms, these allow

the camber castor and toe to be moved, i'm guessing its not had a 4 wheel alignment done that

you know of, which if it were me i'd be looking at those as small amounts on the mkiv can make a

big difference to how the car drives, handles etc

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Another couple of things to check :)

Get someone to start the car after an overnight stop while you watch the exhaust, you could

get a few seconds of blueish grey smoke out of the exhaust, this is down to old drying up valve

stem seals, i'd be surprised if it doesn't at this age and mileage.

You could also have seized eccentric adjusters on the suspension arms, these allow

the camber castor and toe to be moved, i'm guessing its not had a 4 wheel alignment done that

you know of, which if it were me i'd be looking at those as small amounts on the mkiv can make a

big difference to how the car drives, handles etc

Certainly no blue smoke and valve stems were changed this year so (hopefully) should not be an immediate problem. Thought about wheel alignment, been recommended Euro Spec in Guildford, anyone got experience of them?

Certainly no blue smoke and valve stems were changed this year so (hopefully) should not be an immediate problem. Thought about wheel alignment, been recommended Euro Spec in Guildford, anyone got experience of them?

If they've been replaced then great, you wont have any issues with those

Not far from you and i think a few members recommend them highly

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/contact-blackboots.php