The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray / Colour change time

Big Mark

Car is having a lot work done over the next few month and one of the jobs is a respray.

As it stands.......

Engine will be out by the end of this week

Rear arches are being flared so paint may be crack

Front wings being swapped for fibreglass Ridox replicas

Paint peeling from front lip

Bonnet and roof stone chipped

Clear blend line visible on C pillar from slight shade difference from previous partial resparay

Skirts need plastic welding

Trial bumper needs a minor repair

Boot shut staring to show minor surface rust, especially in gap between roof and boot lid.

Options

A) Full respray in original silver colour

B) Full respray in new colour

C) Fix any surface rust / paint defects and wrap the car

D) Fix any surface rust / paint defects and dip the car (as Benjy has, tho not green)

Due to the issues I'm leaning towards option B.

But no idea on colour and part of me is weary about trusting any bodyshop to do a quality job as I've heard to many stories of people who aren't truly happy with their resprays.

So just thought I'd put this out there for some input / suggestions / ideas.

It's a really hard one, part of me would always be a bit meh, about a change of colour when some bits are inevitably going to stay silver (or its' hugely expensive), but then a full respray in silver whilst mint up close to a trained eye might just look too samey and feel a waste of money?

Littlenum was quite enthusiastic about his wrap but I've no experience of these personally.

As you say what does seem very important whatever way you go is who does it! B is what I'd be tempted by (possibly A if it wasn't silver) Baldy is who I would approach initially just from the fact that he's used to dismantling the Supra, did a great thread on his own green respray and for me is relatively local. Best of luck with this as I imagine it can really be a really hard choice!

Littlenum's wrap is the best I've ever seen and it's very hard to spot that it's a wrap but I think it is almost £2k worth in reality. I've seen a lot of bad wraps tho so you get what you pay for.

Problem with a wrap tho is under bonnet won't be wrapped and part of me doesn't like the factory unfinished/lacquered look under the bonnet and boot trim. Plus I have bodywork issues mentioned above that would also need addressing anyway.

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

Respray, either in original colour or something fairly similar. Spend the money you would have used to spray the engine bay etc on new facelift lights all round, really transforms the car, especially on silver ones.

As for the paint shop you use, get recommendations, and make sure that they are fully insured for all work. Baldy on here is probably a good place to start.

Your long term plans for the car should be factored in too - you've been an owner for a long long time but I'm not aware of whether this is your first supra or you've had a few during your years of ownership. If you've had a few and chances are that you'll change again, maybe a big investment like a full respray isn't wise as you'll never see the money back. On the other hand if it's a keeper and it only has the cosmetic issues in your first post then the respray would be a good investment.

Fresh silver paint with facelift lights is lovely. If you're considering a colour change I'd stick with a Toyota colour, and personally would also lean towards one of the rarer colours (msb, djg, gunmetal or 6no)

I did have one before, a long time ago but this one is a keeper, hence why I'm currently doing a LOT of work on it.

The problem I have with silver is that it's just too common a colour in general but will admit it looks quite good and makes a full respray simpler.

Only other stock colours I'd consider is red or MSB. Tho been looking a lot at other cars on the road, especially dark gunmetals.

If it was me I'd have it resprayed in 199 silver with the engine bay in matt grey colour as stock. I know if I was to buy a car I would want it the same colour as it come out the factory but obviously that's just my preference.

I understand the silver is common (mine is 199) but I wouldn't ever change it, if kept in good condition with the right wheels and facelift lights all round I think they look great.

I seem to spend any time out walking or driving looking at cars and their colours.

Did see a nice dark gunmetal (Carlinite Grey) on a Citroen c1 today but have to admit I'm liking the pics of Anthracite I've been seeing,

Anyone in the Midlands got an Anthracite Supra, wouldn't mind seeing one in person.

anthracitesupra_zps85b56d37.jpg

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

Littlenum's wrap is the best I've ever seen and it's very hard to spot that it's a wrap but I think it is almost £2k worth in reality.

Agreed. We were at Oulton today and his wrap is awesome. Every bit is terminated behind the shuts, lights, panels properly and it's smooth as silk. It looks brilliant. He did a lot of prep work himself though.

I've been thinking the same mate about a full colour change and if I go for it I'll be getting a wrap given a full respray is just too expensive done properly.

I should also say that being a UK spec I'm not keen on changing the colour permanently either should I ever come to sale, so a decent wrap makes sense.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

My only issues with a wrap is.

a) I've got bodywork issues to address first anyway

b) When the wrap eventually comes off I'll still have a car needing a respray

c) you can't wrap under the bonnet and as my engine will be out it's be nice to lose the horrid matt grey that it left the factory with their and in the boot shut.

My only issues with a wrap is.

a) I've got bodywork issues to address first anyway

b) When the wrap eventually comes off I'll still have a car needing a respray

c) you can't wrap under the bonnet and as my engine will be out it's be nice to lose the horrid matt grey that it left the factory with their and in the boot shut.

I think you've answered your own question then Mark! It's options A or B then.