The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ebay prices

martincoupe

Similar to Action Jackson, looking to buy and checking forum/autotrader/pistonheads/ebay/gumtree/carsandclassic every few hours for weeks now, this was up for £15k last month! I've seen one or two NA/Autos go for £6k+ but the only reason I can fathom people doing it is for mint bodies/underside for long-term projects.

Prices haven't shot up that much, definitely not. At the end of the day as attractive as they may be, NA/Auto's are not as desirable as other cars around that price point. In my opinion the current value of these cars definitely has a "hero-car" element attached to it, but that only stretches so far. At some point it hits a price-point that requires a good car to be attached to an iconic chassis. IMO £7k for a 20-year old NA/Auto Supra is WAY above that price point. I mean seriously, the R32's, 300zx, GTO's, GT-Fours, S2000, Boxsters, M3's, 350z's that can be had at this price point are often superb, and objectively better in most cases.

Speaking only from personal experience, this fantastic specimen is listed at £5,5000 http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C738558 and I still don't think it's worth that (even as somebody who's been itching to spend money on a Supra for a while now). Let alone the £8,000 one listed above.

I swear I even saw a pistonheads advert for 170k miles NA/Auto for £12,000 or something absolutely ridiculous. I've started considering these absurd listings may even be people who own more than one of these cars and feel flooding marketplaces with such obscene prices will encourage people (like me) to panic-buy under the pretence values are skyrocketing (which nearly worked)- they're not, they're inflating steadily.

There have been Supras I've watched on Ebay that even by my conservative valuations I deemed to be exceptional bargains that I assumed would sell in days, some are still up for grabs even weeks later. There is strong demand out there hence inflation, but current prices are WELL past the point where somebody buys a Supra for its objective value on paper.

There are tons of ridiculously priced Supras, some are actually fantastic examples but if monitoring the sales from so many outlets of these cars has taught me anything, it's that they do NOT sell. Many others probably viewed the market in a similar light to me, that prices are going ape-shit and I need to jump on board. Do not be deceived, this is what dealers holding 5-10+ Supras want people to think, and there's no downside to their tactics. Prices are going up so dealers are happy to have them sit, if they can make buyers believe that these are the going-rates then it's win-win for them. In contrast. I've also seen well-priced cars sell within days of their listing.

Many superb Supras have been listed by members on this forum at prices that made me seriously consider listing every tangible asset I have on ebay there and then, even these didn't sell in a short time-span (and often with even further reductions).

TL;DR: Almost every car-guy wants a Supra, some will pay whatever the price tag causing inflation. MOST will want one, but look at what else is available and be unable to justify the "icon-tax". NA-Autos fall so short the vast majority of the price tag is "icon-tax" whereas TT's/Manuals have significantly more car attached to the icon-tax. Listing these cars for anything over £7k without SERIOUS money spent on restoration is borderline disillusional, and will be for the foreseeable future.

I struggled for months to understand just what the hell is going on with the values of these cars, and it's a conversation that not many people seem to be having despite these cars becoming increasingly closer to genuine investment material. Would consider compiling a write-up similar to this (only with a bit more planning/structure/sources) if more people felt it worthwhile.

Edit: There's a whole other conversation to be had on this subject with regards to how strongly the correlation value between TT6's and NA-Autos can be pulled, as if a point were to be reached where it'd be much cheaper to buy an NA/Auto and completely rebuild it than buy a TT6 we might see some interesting things happen (I'm inclined to believe it's this and the aforementioned icon-tax that are the only things holding up the value of NA/Autos above £4k).

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Some great points there Wonga. Just keep your powder dry eh?! But don't wait forever. I saw an NA auto go on ebay a few weeks back for under £3k!!! :blink: Ok, it needed a bit of (mainly) cosmetic TLC but it was pretty sound based on the description and pictures.

p.s. Apparently white supras have a premium (for the F&F Brian wannabe crowd presumably) but not this much Lol!!!

p.p.s. that black one is ok, but the dangling fog light? Just ewwwwwwwww ... get it sorted man :p

Be strong and hold on for a car you want and think is good value!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying as per our pm's there is some speculation or 'testing the water' adverts where the owner has perhaps a "if it sells it sells" attitude with half an eye on a something else if they snag a buyer. The one thing I would say in the NA auto's defence is the very low 'bork' factor or rust factor. I agree dynamically/performance wise lots of the other cars you mention rank higher, but they might give a more 'testing' ownership experience. I can think of very few +20 year old cars that I'd have anywhere near the confidence of it not throwing a huge bill, or failing an MOT on a rusty sill or some such in the next few years, even with daily use, they have the look and are tough. Saying all that I agree they are too expensive particularly something like that white one! The older days or low prices definitely meant we saw a lot more buying and selling activity, you could easily sell and repurchase, these days I would say there are fewer actual sales occurring. Some good quality high value singles and TT6's for sale but seemingly not much actual interest? certainly not a queue forming.

never been a tougher time to be a buyer :(

Some great points there Wonga. Just keep your powder dry eh?! But don't wait forever. I saw an NA auto go on ebay a few weeks back for under £3k!!! :blink: Ok, it needed a bit of (mainly) cosmetic TLC but it was pretty sound based on the description and pictures.

p.p.s. that black one is ok, but the dangling fog light? Just ewwwwwwwww ... get it sorted man :p

This is the thing the purchase price is really only one aspect, the black one may be far far better at £5,500 (pre haggle!). Cosmetic work will cost 'x', possible J spec brake slider seized £'s and hassle, knocking shock maybe? another few hundred especially if you go to the lengths the black one has had, new shocks and springs all round is a plus very very few other cars will have had done. Add in Uk spec brakes and some of the other bits and you can genuinely see money spent, money you won't have to, it's a get in and drive it purchase. However no abs, too non stock under the bonnet for my taste, but what I'm saying is over a few years possibly FAR better value than the sub £3K one, especially if you haggled down into the high £4K region.

This is a very good example of the current state of affairs, one of the lower priced TT6's and not a single viewing? not even one where someone is viewing just to get a feel for the market, or turns up to um ah and throw in a sub £10K offer on the remote chance the seller is totally desperate!

The guy from IOM sold his TT6 with no mot and some cosmetic issues for £8k something a while back and that caused a mild buying frenzy, so it can't be too far off though!?

I just think there are few very Action Jackson's and Wonga Spar's out there right now, but also almost zero sellers actually needing to sell, a sort of Mexican standoff!

my TT6 has been on eBay for the last few weeks at 13,750 and I've not even had someone wanting to view it. I go on there today and a guy is trying to sell a NA manual for 9,500....

Yours is one of the few I was referencing when I said "absolute bargains". For a week or so I didn't even bother clicking on your ad as I assumed there must be some glaring issue with it to be priced so low. Was pretty bloody surprised to find out that the only thing that needs doing is seals.

I just don't understand... some guy pays (or rather agrees to pay) £16,000 for a TT6 swamp-find Supra that's sat for 10 years and yet yours hasn't gone yet. Crazy.

I'll give you 10k right now lol. Seriously though I don't know what to make of these prices at the moment. I'm currently looking for a new one looking every hour of the day. Waking up with the phone in my hand to find no new ones for sale at my budget. My head is up my buttocks!

I just think there are few very Action Jackson's and Wonga Spar's out there right now, but also almost zero sellers actually needing to sell, a sort of Mexican standoff!

No bueno!

Myself and Wonga will find our Supras eventually :) I don't mind the wait, it is giving me a great opportunity to really learn a bit about these cars before diving in.

But yes, i'm sure that eventually buyers and sellers will meet and it'll all be nice and happy.

I think that Wonga's point about "hero cars" does hold true - there seems to be a lot of people who hop on to the scene briefly, hope they can pick something up for a penny almost just to be able to say they owned one at some point. They are then left baffled by the somewhat erratic pricing that is going on at the moment and so just take their cash elsewhere. I saw a guy on Facebook today trying to swap an old MR2 for a Supra... so I dread to think the drivel that the poor sods selling Supras right now must deal with.

What im trying to say is, myself and Wonga are definitely the best type of people to sell your Supra to at a stupendously reduced rate because we are here for the long haul :cool:

(Keep at it Wonga we might get ourselves a TT6 for £2k if we keep talking like this! :D )

I think there is a lot of market manipulation going on. I'd advise other buyers just to be patient. I got mine at a fair price just from asking around with legitimate traders.

As for the silver 6 speed; I'm a layman with mechanics but I'm put off by the lack of a fan shroud cover and the broken front bumper. At £14k I want it to be mint. I appreciate the thing I am flagging aren't real issues but when you can only judge cars by their pictures the seller might be wise to fix these minor things for the sake of photos.

There seems to be a lot of "price inflating" all round for cars that really aren't worth it.

Someone recently put a 300ZX up for sale that had a 9 year old forged engine, various bodywork issues and the driver's seat was tatty beyond belief. And they were originally asking nigh on £10k for it!

When I suggested finding a better seat, to stop the overall look of the interior from being "shoddy," I was told that the price was already discounted to take that into account!

In my eyes, just because something is on sale for a certain price doesn't mean that it'll sell at that price.......