The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot strut power

samdale

I've read a few threads about boots falling on people, fortunately mine aren't that bad.

However there isn't enough power in them to lift the boot on their own so can't use the boot release lever in the cabin.

Is it still a case of posting mine off to SGS? Or do I need an aftermarket pair with a bit more grunt?

Search for "facelift boot release" essential you can retro fit an earlier one, or lift the lever multiple times in the car as that sometimes works. I'd of thought perhaps some sticky foam pads (or something with give but spring in) on the boot rubbers might add some pressure/spring effect so it's more eager to release?

Guest Cabeceira
Got new boot rubbers on order from whifbitz so will see what happens when they arrive. Assuming they will just make boot release better but not lift from closed

whifbitz work good. adjustable

I had the same issue with my old Mk3 Turbo, but with the bonnet struts dying. So I bought some from Farnell as they were pence. Modded to fit. Felt a bit hard to shut the bonnet, thought nothing off it. Opened the bonnet and went around the front and flicked the catch and the the bonnet nearly took my head off. So I would imaging you can make it open the boot lid from the level, just set the pressure to the correct level.