The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My car started shuddering on the motorway suddenly - what's up?

Aerotop Dave

Going along at 70mph on the motorway and suddenly the steering wheel starts shuddering. Slowed down to 50mph but it's still doing it. Now it's doing it at 40mph too.

Checked all the wheel nuts and everything is tight - what else do I need to look at?

It's a definite vibration - I can feel the wheel minutely see-sawing from side to side, and the CDs in the glove box are gently rattling. I think the steering feels a littler heavier too, but you know how your mind starts to imagine things that aren't there when you suspect a problem.

Bit confused because it just started suddenly. I tried the middle lane to see if it was a poor stretch of road but it was still there.

Yes, just been doing some searching and that's what I'm suspecting. I've noticed recently that the car seems more 'flexible' over speed bumps and things, like the front of the car is twisting in relation to the back (almost as if the roof was out). A while back I thought I had noticed a deterioration on the ride quality.

I'm thinking there's a course of events here:

Drop in ride quality

Feeling of twisting over speed bumps

Vibration on the motorway.

Sounds like front subframe bolts slowing working loose.

I remember seeing a diagram on here a while back that showed their location, anyone got it handy?

Bit unlucky as I'm off to Mr Wilson next Thursday - he could have checked for me :)

Oh, and just gotta say - thanks Rico. Everyone needs a morale booster like you when something goes wrong with their car... :rolleyes:

Dave, a while ago I experienced pretty much exactly what you described. So I checked the front driver side shock only to find that it was leaking. With new shocks fitted, the problem was solved.

Of course, it may not necessarily be your shocks that are causing the problem, but they're worth checking all the same :)

Had same thing recently turned out to be a bulge in one of my front tyre on the inside.

On the inside? That's very unusual Mandy. Tyre bulges usually happen because the cords/wires of the tyre casing have broken due to impact, most often from banging up kerbs too hard.

Did you buy the part-worn by any chance? It's a common scam in the part worn tyre game to fit the damaged area of a dodgy tyre on the inside.