Scooter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have been concerned about this :)

Test date16 September 2014 Test ResultFail Odometer reading145,469 kms

MOT test number5480 8915 4282 Reason(s) for failure

Offside Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)

Advisory notice item(s)

1/ o/s rear tyre split on inside edge not to corts at time of test 2/ no oil on dick stick

There is another pic where it looks normal.

Dunk, I agree not the best of advisory's, but done some mileage since so perhaps a major camcover leak and MOT'd just before it was noticed/the low level light came on. The warning light must be set to stop you damaging the engine and no one in their right mind would MOT it with that light on, so very low oil but not very serious, it probably 4 litres flowing round not 6?

Anyway not saying it was a mint bargain, just that it got snapped up so quick, ie before you can do any normal due diligence and realistically check out these anomalies!

There is another pic where it looks normal.

Dunk, I agree not the best of advisory's, but done some mileage since so perhaps a major camcover leak and MOT'd just before it was noticed/the low level light came on. The warning light must be set to stop you damaging the engine and no one in their right mind would MOT it with that light on, so very low oil but not very serious, it probably 4 litres flowing round not 6?

Anyway not saying it was a mint bargain, just that it got snapped up so quick, ie before you can do any normal due diligence and realistically check out these anomalies!

I was more concerned the mot tester actually wrote d i c k stick on the test :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I saw this and it kinda ticked me off.

I spoke to the owner on the phone and he seemed so bloody nice, certain traders are definitely much worse than others but I can't help but think it's just bad sport. Flipping and profiting off people, especially those who're actually pricing their car well... it all contributes to price manipulation (and let's just be honest, they're not worth more than £5,000). They're just not.

It was up for one night and Nash was over the next morning... oh well, early bird gets the worm.

Side note, I can't see it going. There's been several similar to it priced equally ridiculously that didn't budge after months. £7,000 can get a lot of car, I really struggle to imagine what type of market this car would appeal to. They're too slow for serious enthusiasts, they're too overpriced for "I just want to say I own a Supra", they're too brash for the elder gent who wants a classic car with some heritage, they're too old and the competition is way too stiff for "I want a cool targa-top cruiser" (especially at this time of year) and its got way too many miles for "collectors".

Meh... who knows.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

As suspected back on ebay (from one of the usual traders), not a huge uplift and the rear quarter paint looks fine, just shows how quick you have to be on the reasonably priced ones.

You say not a huge uplift in price but its increased by 50% from what it sold for (£4,600 into £6,995). 50% in my book is still a significant increase.

It's significant but probably inline with most dealers margins? Collection, preparation advertising etc add in to it, leaving percentages aside they are clearing £2k if they are lucky enough to get a buyer to pay full price?

I don't blame traders at all, I just think it's a shame when a car advertised to the public at large via eBay etc gets flipped and not picked up by a regular joe looking for one.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?307948-Supra-s-being-bought-by-the-trade-bumped-almost-immediately-back-for-sale

Raised this a good while ago.

Got to give it to them to have faith they can sell them for more, which can only be good for present owners.

Unfortunately, not so good for people looking to find a genuine private owner sale.

You could see this coming a mile off.

Flipping it for profit is one thing, some people need money freed up fast and a quick-sale is what they're there for. Flipping them without listing the 20 faults the previous owner had kindly mentioned for a MUCH higher price is quite sad. Oh and "excitement" advertising is from traders generally grates on me.

i.e - "IT'S LOVELY, IT'S BRILLIANT, IT'S IMMACULATE, EVERY SINGLE OWNER FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS HAS BEEN A GRANNY. THEIR PRICES ARE GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. 30K 50K 100K, WHO KNOWS!?!?! EYE-CATCHING HEAD-TURNING MIND-BENDING BUY BUY BUY. JUST IMPORTED THISMORNING 4 WHOLE PAGES OF SERVICE HISTORY ONLY 46 OWNERS FROM LAST THURSDAY STUNNING EXAMPLE MUST BE SEEN TO BE BELIEVED".

Got a bit carried away :p

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Flipping it for profit is one thing, some people need money freed up fast and a quick-sale is what they're there for. Flipping them without listing the 20 faults the previous owner had kindly mentioned for a MUCH higher price is quite sad. Oh and "excitement" advertising is from traders generally grates on me.

i.e - "IT'S LOVELY, IT'S BRILLIANT, IT'S IMMACULATE, EVERY SINGLE OWNER FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS HAS BEEN A GRANNY. THEIR PRICES ARE GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. 30K 50K 100K, WHO KNOWS!?!?! EYE-CATCHING HEAD-TURNING MIND-BENDING BUY BUY BUY. JUST IMPORTED THISMORNING 4 WHOLE PAGES OF SERVICE HISTORY ONLY 46 OWNERS FROM LAST THURSDAY STUNNING EXAMPLE MUST BE SEEN TO BE BELIEVED".

You dodged a bullet anyway, that 'trader' is notoriously dodgy. There's a thread on here somewhere recently about his appalling treatment of someone buying a car from him.

I'd steer well clear of anything he's selling.

Ah I didn't look into the background at all, just price and pictures and saw it was a private sale.

Yes, quiet agree that's just not on at all, if you believe that's what's happening.

As long as people are aware what can happen, and informed private buyer will be a happy buyer hopefully.

I would hate for someone to get burned, so at least awareness has been raised through here with genuine good enthusiastic people.

;)