The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rip off Toyota Britain

rider

Just asked 3 local suppliers for quotes on a few parts:

Inchcape Oxford - 19/9 - Advised too busy to quote, yet

Burrows - 19/9 - No response at all to emails

W R Davis (Toyota) Shrewsbury - £952.69 collect with 10% discount.

Toyota Online Parts (USA) - US$532.66 (£410.14)

Delivery - US$83.14

Duty & VAT - £122.29

TOTAL - £596.44 Delivered

Makes you want to cry.

Just asked 3 local suppliers for quotes on a few parts:

Inchcape Oxford - 19/9 - Advised too busy to quote, yet

Burrows - 19/9 - No response at all to emails

W R Davis (Toyota) Shrewsbury - £952.69 collect with 10% discount.

Toyota Online Parts (USA) - US$532.66 (£410.14)

Delivery - US$83.14

Duty & VAT - £122.29

TOTAL - £596.44 Delivered

Makes you want to cry.

Yeah. Wait until they hit you with fees..vat..tax..handling...youll soon be there. Sad isnt it.

Have you tried Amayama?

I hadn't but I checked their site. US$25 cheaper on parts via UAE with another US$40 less on freight. Worryingly though it says they will short ship if some parts aren't available which could well leave you high and dry on a job you had planned and ultimately out of pocket making up on parts elsewhere.

I've used Toyota Online Parts in the past so I think I'll be ordering again from them. I'm stocking up on perishables or age wearing parts like door and valve seals seeing they won't be available as Toyota parts for much longer. Figure if I don't use them they will be readily resalable as NOS in a few years time.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I've been ordering a fair few £ of parts in the last year or so. I've another £2K order to collect on Sat from Steve Manley.

I've looked at buying from abroad but ultimately the saving is negligible once you realistically factor in VAT, postage and duty. Not to mention the fact that part numbers change so much you're likely to be sent the wrong part at some point. I wouldn't like the cost of returning something from an overseas supplier or dealing with their warranty.

I always end up back at Steve Manley. I've used TCB in the past. They're closer affiliated to the MR2 world but do give some good prices on Toyota parts.

Defo agree about stocking up on parts, every order I place I find parts which are discontinued.

I need a fuel tank part which is now discontinued.

I always end up back at Steve Manley.

I keep on trying but only ordered via him once as the other times he has been to busy to get around to quoting. Surprising since the orders I place aren't small ones. I know what you mean regarding security if there are issues but since the HOL ruling in 2007 that credit card purchases from overseas suppliers are covered by UK credit protection laws I figure it'd just be a claim against the credit card company if anything goes wrong or goes AWOL. There is a big difference between the Toyota UK dealer discounted (10% discount applied) quote of £952 with you go and collect to the US supplier quote (non discounted) including all shipping, duty and VAT of £596. That's a whopping 60% markup.

I need a fuel tank part which is now discontinued.

Quite a few USA suppliers have the tank listed (7700114430) as available within 24hrs to 36hrs (Continental US) for between $580 and $650 a unit so there must be a few still kicking around the supply chain. Expect the UK price is probably £1,000.

I think matt may need a fuel tank related part, straps or some such, not the whole tank but I could be wrong! (btw Matt it sounds like you'll end up with basically a completely new car the way you are going!)

Basically as you've found you definitely need to shop around that's for certain, I've used amayama and if you've got the part numbers they are reliable, and generally competitively priced but not always cheaper than even UK prices. Bulk buying of hoses and small/light items will help as a handling fee means small orders are not cost effective. A major benefit to me is not dealing with a questioning human (not all are as efficient/helpful as Steve Manley) I can just diy the ordering, you ask they confirm availability, you place the order, two weeks later you pay a fee to clear the goods from customs then couple of days they are with you.

I keep on trying but only ordered via him once as the other times he has been to busy to get around to quoting. Surprising since the orders I place aren't small ones. I know what you mean regarding security if there are issues but since the HOL ruling in 2007 that credit card purchases from overseas suppliers are covered by UK credit protection laws I figure it'd just be a claim against the credit card company if anything goes wrong or goes AWOL. There is a big difference between the Toyota UK dealer discounted (10% discount applied) quote of £952 with you go and collect to the US supplier quote (non discounted) including all shipping, duty and VAT of £596. That's a whopping 60% markup.

I've never had any issue getting hold of Steve. I've just been to see him to pick up some parts. Was meant to go tomorrow but had the chance to collect today. Called him this morning and sorted my visit without any issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the OE parts through from the USA supplier with all the customs dues and the final delivered price is £602.03 which is slightly higher than the original estimate I put in of £596.44. Still its £350 cheaper than the 10% discounted price from Toyota UK, or 34%.

Crazy.

PS - Never did receive any quotes from Inchape Oxford or Burrows.

What is all this bs from dealers regarding Toyota discounts anyway, can they just not supply at a fair price in the first place... especially when it still works out cheaper to order from the US. Having said that due to the collapsing £ that might not the the case anymore. Either way we get screwed.