The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Pecking Order

Guest Robw

Hi all,

My first post !

Can somebody tell me the Pecking order of the various specs ?

So I can tell Entry Level from Top of the Range .

If its somewhere obvious, I can't find it !

Thanks in advance

Rob

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose folks will have differing views on this, but I should think, in order of least desirable first, it would be something like this:

• Pre-facelift NA Auto (Hardtop)
  • Pre-facelift NA Manual (Hardtop)
  • NA Aerotop
  • Facelift NA Auto
  • Facelift NA Manual
  • Pre-facelift TT Auto (Hardtop)
  • TT Aerotop
  • Pre-facelift TT Manual (Hardtop)
  • UK Spec Auto
  • UK Spec manual
  • Facelift VVTi Auto
  • Facelift VVTi Tiptronic
  • Facelift VVTi Manual.

I would say (specification based) as standard:

SZ

SZ-R (Sportier version)

SZ Aerotop

RZ TT

RZ-S TT (Sportier version)

GZ TT

GZ Aerotop

So many options were available from the factory, the specs completey merge into one another really.

I would say pre-facelift/facelift/VVTI/auto/manual are items of personal preference and wouldn't use them to classify 'the pecking order' of a car.

The UK V Jap thing is a whole argumuement, sorry, discussion, in itself!

Its entirely possible to find a 1993 SZ with most of the mod cons.

The latest manual TT (non VVTI) would be my top choice. The UK's would alomost be bottom due to the (generally) high mileages.

All just IMHO :rolleyes:

I suppose folks will have differing views on this, but I should think, in order of least desirable first, it would be something like this:

• Pre-facelift NA Auto (Hardtop)
  • Pre-facelift NA Manual (Hardtop)
  • NA Aerotop
  • Facelift NA Auto
  • Facelift NA Manual
  • Pre-facelift TT Auto (Hardtop)
  • TT Aerotop
  • Pre-facelift TT Manual (Hardtop)
  • UK Spec Auto
  • UK Spec manual
  • Facelift VVTi Auto
  • Facelift VVTi Tiptronic
  • Facelift VVTi Manual.

And where would you put a Facelift non-VVTi manual hardtop? :p

-Ian

Wow, this is a whole new argument/discussion/poll - what's the most desirable Supra?!

TT Aerotop of course.

Although a facelift NA Aerotop with big single would be my No. 1 choice...

And I'd take Auto over Manual anyday.

Oh, and the whole facelift thing... the only reason I'd have one is the lower mileage/newer car. The rear lights only look better on certain cars (dark blue for example, I think they actually look worse on a silver car) and as for the other changes... not fussed in the slightest.

Poll anyone?! :woot:

And where would you put a Facelift non-VVTi manual hardtop?

I ignored the transitional pre-VVTi facelift Supras. There aren't many of them about, are there?

Same place as the Facelift NA Aerotop! We've been ignored
Sorry Faye. I didn't know there were any facelift Aerotops!

The latest manual TT (non VVTI) would be my top choice.
I can't understand this at all. Why would you prefer the non-VVTi? It's a much nicer power delivery with the VVTi. The extra torque is a huge improvement over the non-VVTi TT engine.

What's your thinking Steve mate?

I would say (specification based) as standard:

SZ

SZ-R (Sportier version)

SZ Aerotop

RZ TT

RZ-S TT (Sportier version)

GZ TT

GZ Aerotop

So many options were available from the factory, the specs completey merge into one another really.

I would say pre-facelift/facelift/VVTI/auto/manual are items of personal preference and wouldn't use them to classify 'the pecking order' of a car.

The UK V Jap thing is a whole argumuement, sorry, discussion, in itself!

Its entirely possible to find a 1993 SZ with most of the mod cons.

The latest manual TT (non VVTI) would be my top choice. The UK's would alomost be bottom due to the (generally) high mileages.

All just IMHO :rolleyes:

Very interesting reading....Just what i have been looking for..(ry The diffrent models).....Can one of you guys ..Please...Tell me for definate,Which of the above models...Have L.S.Diff for sure...As a factory..(Not optional)..Fitted item ...PLEASE...Kev.

I can't understand this at all. Why would you prefer the non-VVTi? It's a much nicer power delivery with the VVTi. The extra torque is a huge improvement over the non-VVTi TT engine.

What's your thinking Steve mate?

If I was to buy a car like that I would be keen to spend some cash on engine mods (for some reason I feel a lot happier spending the money on a newer car).

Under these circumstances (until further development) the VVTi makes these mods more complicated.

If I were looking to keep stock I would have the latest manual I could get, regrdless of valve timing jiggery pokery :tongue:

Guest Ryangordon86

My Supra's a 1997, ive just had it imported and im not sure if its a vvti or not, is there any obvious giveaway that i'd notice just by looking at the engine?

Interesting thread. :thumbs:

IMHO, it is all down to personal preference. e.g, I would never buy an aerotop as I think they look damn ugly. I also much prefer an auto car so my list of preffered cars would look much different to others.

Now, if you are talking spec, then that is different but as the J-spec models vary so much even that sor of goes out the window :(

Under these circumstances (until further development) the VVTi makes these mods more complicated.

For the love of god and the last time it's not harder or more expensive it's been done and it f**cking works! VVTi's + mods = more possibilities not less. The time you've been waiting for has arrived. Just look at the ECU thread in tech...the Fcon V Pro has fly-by-wire control (and VVTi control?)....PE do a VVTi controller...HKS do the Valcon etc....