The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK front calipers what are they worth

blythmrk

I have bought a pair of new UK front brake calipers as I could not be bothered to paint mine!

So the question is what are my olds ones worth I could include the old discs and pads if required.

Are the original UK car calipers exactly the same quality as the brand new ones (some times things alter in manufacturing and the old versions are the best!)

Thanks

Mark

Hi Dunk

They are still on the car at the moment so can only give you description as below.

Just wondering what I will get back they are not leaking on external inspection and are not sticking and newish pads in the last couple of 1,000 miles (I have only had the car about a month).

So if they require seals and pistons (either cleaning up or replacing) what should I ask for them or if all they are ok and they just need a wire brush and paint what should I ask for them?

Thanks

Mark

I paid about £700 for a used set of UK's front and back. Condition of them was worse than I was hoping for and I needed new discs and pads all round as well as a lot of elbow grease to clean them up. If I'd known, I'd have not gone higher than £500 for the set. It cost me about as much in the end to fit used as it would have to fit new.

If yours are in decent condition with regards to discs and pads, the parts to rebuild aren't that much. It cost me about £260 for parts to rebuild both fronts a bit ago from Chris Wilson, worth checking though as prices may have moved. You could possibly do it cheaper if your pistons are in good condition and not rusted to buggery. In terms of how easy or difficult, technically not hard just time consuming. I'd probably leave it as an exercise to whoever buys them, just take good photos so they can see what they're getting into when you sell.

As a guide Whifbitz have new OE up at £754 inc vat for a pair

Even if they're fine with no problems, i'd be replacing the outer seals at the least as this is the weak link

on the caliper as they perish with age

I'd personally pay up too £250 for them but I can rebuild them so haven't got to pay someone else to do it.