The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Handling...????

kevo

Guys.....Can you just reasure me on the handling on the Supra...I`m getting conflicting opinions on this...(Mostly on NON supra owners i must add)..That thay handle like blancmange......Whilst,I do understand,This car is powerfull with only rear wheel drive....So,Yes this a recipe for entertainment--Shall we say....HOw stable are these cars on corners Please.....???????Kev.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from a new mini to a supra and find the handling comparable, I can't wait till a nice hot day to take on my favourite roads, I've already been able to push the car just as far the mini in less than perfect conditions.

could I ask which forums etc slated the handling as I was dubious too but I dont know why now!

I think the main thing is that people are scared to push them round the bends.

Just remember that the supra is a japanese super car and when it came out the reviews complemented on it's awesome grip and handling.

I mean it's super car sp it's hardly gonna be about just speed.

Search for the top gear review.

Supras are the fucking bollocks, for want of a more intelligent and verbose reply. if you nail it mid corner, it will swap ends, and they can bite, but they also have massive reserves of grip and a fantastically balanced chassis. Forget your non-supra owning know-nothings and read some reviews of the car when it came out. Autoexpress said it 'clings like a limpet round corners' and the first time they drove it (UK auto), it beat the then current 911 and Lotus Esprit on track. It also came first in Road & Track's (or maybe it was Car & Driver) '93 group test, as well as putting in the fastest time on their on-track handling test.

I'm on std jap springs and shock, but have 285 wide tyres at the rear and 244 at the front. In the dry i quite happly keep up with scoobys on B roads, in the wet it's a differnt story as the larger tyres tend to aquaplane, thats when you drift so still fun.

A supra is a big car but handles well enough to suprise few people. :sly:

I agree that the car will stick around a corner if you push it, but I don't think the handling gives you the confidence to actually try it initially. It was something I had to build up to.

Judging by the amount of people who swap ends, they aren't communicative enough on the limit for the average driver (which I am, so I seldom intentionally go anywhere near the limit).

I also think that it tramlines way too much at low speeds, but you get used to it.

Tyres seem to make a hell of a difference. The ones I had on when it came across from Japan were abysmal. F1s @ Yoko AVS transformed the car :)

Mine corners on the proverbial rails, although I do have very stiff aftermarket suspension (Tein). Gave a workmate a lift home one night and he couldn't believe how fast it cornered (and he owns an Elise 111S!) Obviously you have to be more wary re when you apply power in a RWD compared with 4WD, but I'm sure it can corner on a par with a Scooby.

:looney:

I would say, on a track, you will become far more aware of the weight of a supra and it's effect on handling. I find it a bit of a barge on track, but on the road it's very stable and solid through corners.

In the end, it's down to your own personal bottle.

It not the handling which give people the feeling that supra can't corner as well as other cars.

I had my first supra for 3 weeks b4 my insurance write it off because I lost it on a corner and it had good brand tyres all around. you have to respect the power the turbo chuck out at the rear wheels.

If my old BMW 320 have as much power as my sup then I think I would have write off my BMW long ago at the very same corner!

China

They handle brilliantly, anyone who tells you otherwise either hasn't driven one or can't drive it ;)

It's not the best handling car in the world but it's very capable - it's when you get onto the track when you really realise how good it is, roads are too unpredicable to explore and go beyond the limits of the car as all too many people seem to find out :(

Two videos - the first is on standard UK suspension in the dry, note how by the 2nd pass I'm closer to the Caterham and I've passed the Elise (both cars that handle :)) - the slide was caused by me on purpose to have a play but I found it so easy to control:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/elvington-trackday/elvington.WMV

2nd video is the same corner, in the wet on Maxxis tyres (!!!) and KYB shocks with Eibach springs, car was a lot more reluctant to slide out and handled like a dream on the whole circuit, not a single spin even in those conditions and I was pushing it enough to boil the PAS fluid ;)

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/elvington-trackday-29-01-05/elvington.wmv

I'm on std jap springs and shock, but have 285 wide tyres at the rear and 244 at the front. In the dry i quite happly keep up with scoobys on B roads,

I'm sorry mate, but if thats the case they couldn't drive for toffee or had their car setup incredibly wrongly.

My old scoob would have p!ssed all over my supra in outright handling and grip round the b road/roundabout type affair - only car thats ever cornered better/faster that I've been in was an Evo.

My scoob sat on 17" MiM alloys 215 40 17 GSD2 rubber, Eibach springs, solid drop links, bumpsteer and alignment done. GSD2 tyres.

Supe was running stock 17" sizes 235/255 in GSD3, I'd had the alignment set to Lance settings, stock jspec sus AFAIK & RLTC.

On a sweeping A road then the Supra would be all over the scoob, sheer grunt :)

The GTR is kinda inbetween the two :confused:

tbh my sup isn’t that great at handling, it feels a bit floaty mid corner. i do alot of kart racing am im pretty competitive in my class so id like to think im a fairly able driver. My sup just doesn’t give me the confidence on the entry because I know the car will go numb mid corner. I think this is down to the tyres or the suspension.

Ive got Dunlop s2000s or something all round, can’t remember the exact model and I haven’t seen my car for the past 4 months lol

Previously I had an FTO and that was shit, until I but some Goodyear F1s on, then it was an absolute beauty.

Im going to put them on the sup next I think

Anyone who thinks a Supe can't handle needs to take a good look at their tyres / wheel size / suspension IMHO. If you've got cheap rubber or have screwed up the set-up, of course it'll feel light, or snap too easily. Set up properly (stiffer than stock) I say it'll out handle most cars.

:looney:

My car handled like the QE2, with more bounce than Jordan on a trampoline. A set of Bilstein shocks transformed it.

I'm sure it still doesn't handle like a Kart, but its a lot closer to the way that my old MR2 used to handle, and thats the one thing I used to miss in the Supra.

Maybe the RZ cars are OK as they've got the Bilsteins as stock, but the RZ-S's really need to get rid of the stock (black) Toyota shocks and get Bilsteins on them.

If the UK cars have got the same black shocks, no wonder people say that they've got soft handling.