The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full respray -- budget

Jellybean

Hey

Was looking at a full respray with me supplying the trim / seal , rear quarter windows

She has the usual micro blisters in the hips , frp trd kit

I know Simon (is his name, near SRD I think) did a few members cars, anybody have a rough budget

I got a quote here of 5k with a contingency to 8k , with me supplying trim and paying a guy to fit/remove windows as an additional expense , you are talking 10k region (euro)

Quick q on the side skirts , they are pop rivets , I presume they will clip off after drilling out the rivets or are items bonded from factory , I cannot see any bonding material

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

This is mad money for full respray, unless you will want some kind of magic paint etc. I'm waiting till next year and then will book best workshop possible back in my home town in Poland, I would be suprised if I had to pay more than 3.5k including trip there and back. Maybe we should do group respray? :D

I find it odd how much resprays vary, especially these days.

I understand the ovens cost a lot to run and there are lots of environmental factors, licenses etc which ramp the prices up, but for instance I was quoted by a reputable local company to respray a car for me same in the same colour etc and it came out to just shy of £3000... and that was with me removing all glass, lights, everything that can be removed within reason to get the car sprayed. I then got a quote for another car I had which was just an empty shell on a jig along with doors, bonnets, boot all supplied as well.. same job but they said £1800 - I questioned why it was the case as both cars were effectively the same size, using solid colours, with the relevant major parts removed and they could not give me a honest answer as to why it was cheaper, despite the fact they were actually spraying more of the empty shell (engine bay)... where did the extra cost come from then?? the brown paper and masking tape and paying someone to mask it up?? Yes of course that little lot comes to £1200 doesn't it.

Seems to me, prices as based on what first the actual cost of the paint and labour is, then they pull out of the air what seems they can get away with how much they can load that price based on the car they are spraying.

IMO if paint work on a full car is coming to sub 3k I would be walking away! IMO a proper job at a bare minimum should be coming to around 7k+ This is without fancy expensive colours.

Paint work is all in the prep, the finish and longevity of the paint will reflect this. You could easily have a car painted for sub 2k but expect, poor prep, pig tails, filler, and cheap products being used.

I've had 2 resprays on my supra, one in the stock 199 silver and that cost me £2200. The car wasn't prepped fully, nothing was taken off (i.e mirrors, handles or etc) and there was even masking tape just painted over! My 2nd one was a full bare metal glass out job in a new colour, its was alot more expensive (i also added all new windows/seals so that didn't help) but after seeing it go through the stages i can see how it costs so much!

IMHO i wouldn't be putting budget and full respray in the same sentance, at the end of the day you get what you pay for...

With the current exchange rate and that quote you might be better taking it across the border for the respray Carlo?

Was thinking that too Jim,, and probably better off getting it done with the engine out ; considering I am supplying the trim too ; 62% of the initial budget for contingency; is quiet the threshold

Was taking to Ian, you would get your car stripped and dipped in the UK for that and by Dalton himself, plus a customer of his got his TVR re-done by TVR for 3500 gbp in chameleon TVR colour

Difficult to get a painter with a Customer portfolio you can attest their work off, 5K I taught is a very decent budget with 1200 for materials , 2800 is a good $$$ for labour

Thanks , I think we are talking 5K range , Is what I expected; just the possibility of a 3K loading is throwing me , how can your budget have 62% contingency, based on experience you should have a narrower scope for contingency

He also stated it took him 7 months to do a customers car and the owner was getting irate after 3 months ; I do not blame the owner , 7 months to paint the car is ridiculous; he noted it would take 3 months to do mine but did he say this to the owner of the SL :blink:

That I do lol but I like to do my homework rather than learning the hard way via an empty bank balance

I'd honestly be looking closer to home and looking for advice and examples on local forums, like reallymeansounds for example. I know for a fact there are a lot of very extremely good painters up North at least which would save you a lot of effort tbh.

Mine was roughly 4300 including supplying the seals etc for my full window out colour change.

The job is fantastic imo and others have said same, even baldy when we met at santa pod!

Yours is one of the best spray jobs I have ever seen. Worth every single penny. What was the place called again mate ?

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

IMO if paint work on a full car is coming to sub 3k I would be walking away! IMO a proper job at a bare minimum should be coming to around 7k+ This is without fancy expensive colours.

Paint work is all in the prep, the finish and longevity of the paint will reflect this. You could easily have a car painted for sub 2k but expect, poor prep, pig tails, filler, and cheap products being used.

You are very correct buddy! Mine was £4,500 as I did all the stripping down windows bumpers doors wings bonnethe back window removed!

On the subject of respray whats the average cost of all new seals, I keep umming and ooing about repainting mine this winter and all my seals don't leak but they are tough with age.

Drift_Bear bought all his when he sprayed his car and iirc it sounded like Toyota basically made the prices up on the spot. Exact same seals but on opposite sides of the car were massively different in price

On the subject of respray whats the average cost of all new seals, I keep umming and ooing about repainting mine this winter and all my seals don't leak but they are tough with age.

Seals and Trim around 1000 - 1300 euro

Off Toyota Ireland Ex Vat

Toyota 7555114150 MOULDING €100.80

Toyota 7555214150 MOULDING €100.80

Toyota 6237114080 LINING €15.93

Toyota 6237214080 LINING €15.93

Toyota 7571014250 MOULDING €93.64

Toyota 7572014250 MOULDING €93.64

Toyota 7553314190 SEALER €58.16

Toyota 7557314210 SEALER €55.31

Toyota 6788114130 SEALER €124.05 back order

62710-14260 WINDOW ASSY, QUARTER, RH €157.16

62720-14260 WINDOW ASSY, QUARTER, LH €122.56

Amayama

SEALER Toyota 7557314210 30.18

SEALER Toyota 7553314190 26.85

MOULDING Toyota 7572014250 54.79

LINING Toyota 6237114080 7.57

LINING Toyota 6237214080 7.57

SEALER Toyota 6788114130 77.54

MOULDING Toyota 7571014250 54.79

I've just sent my Supra in for a FULL RESPRAY yesterday (GLASS OUT JOB) at a cost of 2.5K in the same colour.

My Dad is good mates with the lads that are doing the respray.

I think it's a reasonable price since I'm adding a Ridox side skirt (with extensions) plus a Trial REAR which would need to be blown in with the rear quarter & a front lip along with a full under seal.