The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra sales down?

cered

I've had barely any interest since selling my Supra at the beginning of the summer, about 3 people have been messaging but found ones local to them or stopped bothering.

since putting it on ebay everyone wants a part ex... Adn then get offended when I offer them the part ex book value of their car thinking their ancient car is worth £10k :S

IMO, 8 years ago Supra's were still quite expensive to purchase. Their price started dropping due to the glut of Supras available to buy (locally and in Japan) which meant that they became affordable to a certain type of enthusiast.

This enthusiast wouldn't pay the prices that good quality parts commanded and certainly didn't care about maintenance. Ultimately I can imagine these cars ended up with Keron being broken for spares. Therefore there were fewer cars available to buy which has started driving up the price again.

Its taken a while to start picking up again but it is and now that type of enthusiast can no longer afford these cars.

I have noticed this new "fashion" which seems to be everyone wanting to part ex cars + cash... I guess doing the sell and buy in one transaction rather than going through the hassle of selling and then buying.

I also think there are a lot of people about (especially on the Japanese car scene) who want to change cars every 6 months at the moment, and don't really care too much about which car they end up with as long as its relatively quick and old/Japanese.

Shame youre auctioning Cered, I really like the look of yours. Just wouldn't be able to commit until next year!

GLWS mate :)

I am certain there are 2 'markets' for the used sports car, first one consists of the collectors type who likes low mileage, stock-ish examples in the most desirable colours and with a manual box. Buyers are willing to spend much more for these cars, they are not necessary fans of the Japanese car scene but are attracted by exceptional models like the Supra RZ, UK TT6 or an R34 GTR.

Then there are those who want 'alot of car for the money' , therefore autos & half finished projects that are selling for far lower prices, unfortunately the recent asking prices on here and ebay partially influenced by the poor GBP to Yen rate has priced these buyers out for now.

It's quite normal for the market to quieten down at this time of year. No doubt there will be another price rush as soon as the nice weather starts again next year.

The year after that, the US market opens up for the early cars.

It will be fascinating to see what that does to the market, both sides of the pond.

Just annoying, or I'm being impatient.

Tempted to just take it to "we buy any car" because this selling lark is annoying me.

Still getting messages on ebay about part exes despite a clear note saying i dont want a part ex/swap.

"I have a unique GS430 for sale" go away

Dreamers. That's all they are.

Remember that these cars are becoming less and less affordable so interest will die off a bit... At least until they can be imported to the states.

No more dreamers than half the supra owners currently trying to sell theirs at extortionate prices. I dont think I've actually seen one car priced at £20k sell, let alone some who can't get theirs sold for sub £12k. The category of ancient cars definitely includes Supras with the majority pushing 20 years old now and most are on 20 year old components. Its only a small minority have refurbed the suspension/chassis components and engine (all of which, low mileage or not, need a refresh at that age) which would justify any sort of enhanced price

The whole 90's car market at the moment seems to be entirely false. Saw someone looking £15k for an S15 the other day too and the odd punter looking £7k for an NA auto with a load of commentors saying "great price/ hows this still here/ bargain for a clean car".

No wonder the market seems to have stalled, its become totally ridiculous.

Whilst you have a certain bluntness in your delivery :D I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

IMO there are some cars worth the top money. Two exact same specs of car can be miles apart condition wise and poor ones can not only cost you in the short term, but bar serious expenditure will never be as good as a nice one, however few will pay the price difference despite the 'signs' this is true.

An example is two single turbo threads currently (both good value cars IMO or equally overpriced in perhaps Np89's? but the point remains)

£15K one needs a bit of work (split manifold) and possibly respray - potentially sold.

£23K (but inviting offers) bodywork very very clean ie no work required, refreshed suspension etc still up

The £15K could quickly gravitate by the £7-8K, but the new owner may be able to fix the downpipe himself and then just live with the paintwork for a while/forever, but to me there is little 'value' difference between the two.

Almost unarguably any car (that's not very very niche) advertised for months on the popular selling sites and not selling is too expensive for the current market to stomach.

Just annoying, or I'm being impatient.

Tempted to just take it to "we buy any car" because this selling lark is annoying me.

Still getting messages on ebay about part exes despite a clear note saying i dont want a part ex/swap.

"I have a unique GS430 for sale" go away

Just be patient, if you have to keep till next year. Do NOT go to WBAC as they quoted me and others on here £50-£70 yes no digits missing, they're just normal car bulk buyers.

It will be fascinating to see what that does to the market, both sides of the pond.

I should expect the impact to be fairly dramatic, which brings plenty of negatives with the positives. I would also expect they will start snapping up the cheaper ones straight away, for parts if nothing else, as even with the import charges they are much cheaper than buying over there.

I don't think UK cars will be of much interest to them though.

I should expect the impact to be fairly dramatic, which brings plenty of negatives with the positives. I would also expect they will start snapping up the cheaper ones straight away, for parts if nothing else, as even with the import charges they are much cheaper than buying over there.

I don't think UK cars will be of much interest to them though.

I would imagine that our prices would increase (gently), as supply from Japan decreases. We are currently still importing 20 Supras into the UK every year. If Japanese prices increase further, that number is also going to drop. Accounting for the number of these that end up SORN or broken for parts (which is also slowly increasing), our supply will eventually dwindle too (I guess a timescale would be the next 5 years or so?).

So im guessing UK prices (especially for unmodified examples of any model) will creep up as the Americans get their mitts on more and more of the Japanese market.

I think mine's priced at an acceptable level (If I'm wrong please tell me). Decent TT autos seem to go for around £9k, average-good TT6s at about £15k so mine at the £11-12k mark I think is 'just right'. Bare in mind it's a 2000 Tiptronic TT, close to OE and low miles at 85k so I'd expect it to be worth a bit more than say a 1998 TT auto

TBH I don't know what is/isn't an acceptable level these days, you are correct price wise re asking prices, I'd be interested to know the sale prices of good but plain TT auto's as I'm not sure many are going for £9K are they? but a long'ish term lack of interest points towards either very few buyers and/or buyers are choosing, to them, better value cars (value might be more expensive but Manual as well as simply cheaper ones).

Yours is a late model, good colour, reasonable mileage etc what I'm saying is there isn't much to put off a buyer, so it almost has to be the price?

I think people have jumped on the bandwagon this summer and have flooded the market. Everyone wants to cash in.

Agree with this.

I like the Ops car but it is an enthusiasts car. I'd have bought it if I could have afforded it. As it happens I was in an NA budget and quite happy to get an NA as its less likely to go pop.

How many Jap fans are enthusiasts (as opposed to boy racers)? I wonder if it's too bland for real enthusiasts and too niche for boy racers.

No offence intended to the OP. I'd buy and treasure the car if I could afford it.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

I wouldn't have mentioned those bad points, it makes it sound x10 worse than I bet it is. Let a potential buyer pick holes if they want, it's not like they are hidden problems. An advert should really focus on getting a viewing, don't be dishonest but don't run it down by a specific list of issues, most of yours could have been replaced by something like, "body and paint in great condition but expect the odd mark commensurate with age" I'm sure far worst cars will have been advertised with a similar phrase.

Yeah I've changed the ebay listing stuff so there's no list of bad bits, but left in the brief condition description. I think you ar eright, a fair few people have commented saying it looks brand new so probably describing the bad bits isn't the way to go!

Yeah I've changed the ebay listing stuff so there's no list of bad bits, but left in the brief condition description. I think you ar eright, a fair few people have commented saying it looks brand new so probably describing the bad bits isn't the way to go!

I always looked at the bad bits on your ad and went "huh, that's naff all it's basically mint" but then again im used to driving 15-20 year old rust boxes.

But it's worth a try I suppose - no salesman has ever described the bad bits of their product before selling I guess!

For what it's worth, I've been checking a handful of classifieds 2 months. Your car still being around on them has been confusing me for a while!

Perhaps the tiptronic throws people off a bit?

I've nearly contacted you a few times about it, but it's sadly a bit out of my range at the minute.

Best of luck selling it!

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

An example is two single turbo threads currently (both good value cars IMO or equally overpriced in perhaps Np89's? but the point remains)

£15K one needs a bit of work (split manifold) and possibly respray - potentially sold.

£23K (but inviting offers) bodywork very very clean ie no work required, refreshed suspension etc still up

I know you're tempted, make an offer :p