The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How easy is it to remove/repair/source/replace this part?

samdale

it's a small bit of surface rust in a non obvious place, a bit of a rub down and touch up would see it presentable (in my eyes at least!)

This is probably what I'll do with the tab on the wing as I'm not about to go replacing a wing because of this. However the front slam panel bit looks like a folded piece of metal that will only get worse from the inside out as I can't really touch up inside it.

No joke this time, but I'm in the process of breaking my track car. Substructures, like the one you are concerned about, plus the other one that rots away, the radiator support are as rust free as is possible. They're not just clean for a car of its age, I mean they are comparable to new, if such a thing was available.

I really doubt my chassis will see action again with someone else so what I'm trying to say is that I can supply whatever you need in the line of excellent replacements.

The wing might even just wipe clean with some wd40...thats dust from the rusty bolt. But the slam panel, waters been getting there for some time. Does it sit flush? if not try the bonnet rubber adjuster that twists to close it even better. I would clean it up, 2k epoxy to seal it and then paint. Itll be minimum rust and rust needs water/ moisture to get worse. Once sealed i doubt alot will come back. If any.

Bonnet seems to sit nice and flush, looks like I found the culprit though.

Headlight just flapping in the breeze is hardly gonna make a good seal is it. Fortunately I broke a clip on the air box on my MR2 a while ago so I had a spare identical bolt. Will look at getting it cleaned up and painted. I take it I can still get a touch up from Toyota? Or are there better sources?

Bonnet seems to sit nice and flush, looks like I found the culprit though.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ntzs4n.jpg

Headlight just flapping in the breeze is hardly gonna make a good seal is it. Fortunately I broke a clip on the air box on my MR2 a while ago so I had a spare identical bolt. Will look at getting it cleaned up and painted. I take it I can still get a touch up from Toyota? Or are there better sources?

Your engine bay paint wont be the same as the body, they use something else in the bays with a slight body colour added. Id go down to a paint shop and get them to scan and mix the engine bay paint in a can. But use epoxy primer and 2k clear to make sure the metals sealed peoperly. Halfords paints are only good for 16 year olds who dont know the truth about real paint :D

I just had a random smile to myself, that we are chatting on a thread of a 20 year old car and this is a 'rust' issue that needs sorting. I'm not belittling the OP or anything it just shows how (relatively) little we have to worry about rust wise! From a 89 'G' reg Mk1 MR2 (I had one Barney Rubble could have powered) to a 93 'K' reg Mkiv Supra the rustproofing/longevity is absolutely poles apart.

I just had a random smile to myself, that we are chatting on a thread of a 20 year old car and this is a 'rust' issue that needs sorting. I'm not belittling the OP or anything it just shows how (relatively) little we have to worry about rust wise! From a 89 'G' reg Mk1 MR2 (I had one Barney Rubble could have powered) to a 93 'K' reg Mkiv Supra the rustproofing/longevity is absolutely poles apart.

I absolutely hate ANY body rust. I've got a bit to sort on the top of the boost shut. Quite common from what I've seen and it's driving me mental. Will go in over winter no doubt

Sadly i doubt that's not the only rust on the car, it just happens to be in a spot that's visible

As we know it spreads very quickly if not dealt with

May be but really the only non accident related serious body rust I've seen documented are the boot/window, and the radiator support bar thing. Not in the realms of Nissan Suspension struts etc, I mean has anyone ever had a rust advisory let alone a rust MOT fail? Like I say I'm not saying don't be vigilant I'm just saying we are lucky compared to many.

the Sills etc on the MR2s rot out for fun

Touch wood my sills are fine however the drivers side door on the MR2 has started to go. Naff weather seals against the window means they get water inside and rot from the inside out :(

I was kind of surprised to see rust on the supra. The rest of it including all of the underside is spotless

• 1 month later...

Back to looking at this rust issue and looks like I may have found another cause. Can anyone tell/show me what the seal around the edge of the bonnet is supposed to look like? Mine can be dented with a fingernail but looks like the bonnet has been resprayed cheaply and the seal is silver. I've got an aftermarket air filter on and can see a small puddle of water underneath it so something's not sealing as it should

the sides of the bonnet dont seal so you will find small amounts of water can and do make their way into the air filter area and the battery tray area.

I wouldnt worry much about your silver rubber front seal you can pick them up cheaply if you wanted but i doubt it will let much if any water past at normal speeds (30-70mph)