The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Indicator idea.

Nodalmighty

Front Indicators. I had some once and now I need to sort some out. My idea is to use these two colour combined side / indicator led bulbs. Has anyone else done this to pre-facelift head lights?

I have the 2 channel bulb holders on route so I can machine the side light holes to suit. Just didn't want lights in the brake ducts in the front bumper and thought this a neat solution.

On a side note, I need one of those side indicator bulb holder as I seem to have misplaced one W.H.Y?

Lyndon.

I've been looking for a good quality DRL that also does indicators, as I think this would be a nicer and more modern looking replacement for the pre-facelift front indicators and the space it takes up is very thin.

Be careful with that.

I've done exactly the same and it failed it's MOT today partly because the running light LEDs were too bright and when the indicator flashed it wasn't bright enough.

You'll need to get some that cancels the white LED when the indicator is in operation, or that alternates the flash.

Be careful with that.

I've done exactly the same and it failed it's MOT today partly because the running light LEDs were too bright and when the indicator flashed it wasn't bright enough.

You'll need to get some that cancels the white LED when the indicator is in operation, or that alternates the flash.

I see this on a stock vw van today indicator to close to the head light I could hardly see the indicator flashing , I think its a legit reason if im honest

I see this on a stock vw van today indicator to close to the head light I could hardly see the indicator flashing , I think its a legit reason if im honest

Yeah it's definitely a good reason.

I'd say you can probably buy decent kits that do the necessary job, mine were a bit of a cheap mod from eBay type thing.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I haven't gone and bought one yet, as I can't find a satisfactory quality of DRL that also switches off the running light while the indicator is on. I'm contemplating trying to make my own, or butcher one from a Ford. I can't believe nobody does one with a switch/relay for indicators.

I reckon it would probably be easy enough to make one out of an RGB LED and some proper time and effort, but I'm not convinced it would be bright enough (and dim DRLs look shite).

That's enough of that anyway, as I did not intend to hijack the thread.

I now have one of my Front lights and the indicator bulb is on a long stalk so this buggers my idea up. I think I'll just use the side light as an indicator and see what I can do about a side light. Does a DRL count as a side light,( I can make it switchable via the stalk)? Interestingly, I can use the original indicator wiring as the side repeater :)

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

I now have one of my Front lights and the indicator bulb is on a long stalk so this buggers my idea up. I think I'll just use the side light as an indicator and see what I can do about a side light. Does a DRL count as a side light,( I can make it switchable via the stalk)? Interestingly, I can use the original indicator wiring as the side repeater :)

A DRL does count as a side light yes.

Basically what I did is get some from eBay that had dual function.

It failed as the sidelight was so bright that when the indicators flashed you couldn't see them well enough.

It very easily spliced into the stock wiring for both indicators and sidelights.

To get it through the MOT I simply re-wired the sidelight into the stock one, and wired the DRL into the indicator wiring. I then covered it with yellow indicator repair tape so as to get it through the MOT.

It took no more than half an hour of splicing wires and faffing but obviously wasn't ideal as I had wires all over the place.

I've now left the stock sidelight in place, and have the DRLs functioning as white LED indicators.

You could probably rig up a simple circuit to control this, relay and capacitor to keep the coil energised all triggered from the indicator power. Solid state electronics would be better/more flexible but harder to get to grips with depending on your background. Then you need to consider weatherproofing it properly. There are control units around that'll do this commercially: http://www.autoteccomponents.com/daytime-running-lights-control-unit