The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goliath 2.0

mclarenross

So I thought I would start a new build thread as I can’t seem to change the name on my old one and after all this will be a different car.

So my previous build thread was here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?247349-RMC-s-Supra-Cat-d-write-off-restoration-hopefully

and the car I’m building that I bought back in Feb this year was Kaan Williams “Goliath” shell.

Kaans build thread here…

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?275510-Kaan-s-SRD1000S-3-4-Stroked-Wide-Body-Project!

Thanks Kaan for all the work you done so far on it, Its already a superb base and hopefully I can get it back similar to what it was.

Sadly I had to break my old Supra in order to fund most of this project, very sad after the amount of hours I had put into her.

My plans “at the start” were to be a show car with around 500 bhp.

• Drop in my existing 1JZ (previously auto)

• Chrome/ polish (cam covers, turbo, intercooler pipework, radiator brackets intake plenum, bonnet hinges.

• Carbon (scuttle panel, cam cover, slam panel, windscreen cowel)

• Continue with the wire tuck theme.

• swap over my roll cage and bride seats and takata harnesses

• flocked dash

• small stereo system

• butterfly valve on the 1st decat pipe on exhaust

• replace my existing exhaust with a 3 or 4” pipe

• Swap over my bc coilovers

• Swap my suspension components (all recently refurbished)

• Uk or k sport front brakes

• Fix up some of the bodywork (where there is some cracks)

• LED Rear lights

• Glass head lights

Anyway that was 6 months ago, I’ve pretty much now gathered all the pieces I needed to start rebuilding it, still just waiting on the chrome pieces back thought (taking forever!)

Some of the jobs I’ve done over the last 6 months…

While I had the rear subframe out, I decided to give it a lick of paint so it lasts another 20 years and I also replaced the diff oil as I have no idea if that has ever been changed

Before.

After

I had Heckler do my rear LED and had him paint the inside plastics in the same colour as the bodywork. Love them!

I have also been cracking on with the other parts of my build –

Interior. I wanted to go for a flocked dashboard /doorcards etc and I was given a contact called Anthony at “For Flock sake” in Huddersfield. The interior I had wasn’t perfect, especially the door cards, but they were much better than the ones from my white car and Anthony said he’s do the best job he could on them… Well after I had picked them up I was absolutely blown away… They are now like new and you can’t even see the old imperfections in the door card! See the pictures below, Anthony also surprised me with the cherry red bits in the glove box and centre console, but I think it’s a great touch! Pm me if you want his details, can’t recommend the guy highly enough!

I’ve sent out all my engine bay plastics / wind screen wipers/ cowl etc to the carbon dipper, so that It’ll match the APR carbon slam panel I received from Callaway motorsport

I bought some K sport 356mm rears back in March and I had been waiting for some fronts to come up second hand but to no avail. So finally made the decision to go brand new

I decided to try something different with the brake callipers, rather than just stock paint so I’ve dropped them off with my local polisher so that I could have them mirror polished finish.

Hodge sorted me out with braided fuel lines and I bought a nice Plenum (from Australia) along with some 650cc top feed injectors that are being mirror finished aswell.

Just had my roll cage back from powder coaters, decided to get it done in a Chrome finish and I am very happy with the outcome.

Also decided that if I was going to do it properly that I would go manual and so I bought a manual gearbox conversion from Jeremy on the forum.

Fitted my clutch

And as she currently sits…

So slowly getting there…

I know Anthony at For Flock's Sake very well so it's good to see him get such a glowing recommendation. :D

In fact, it may even have been me that sent you his way!

I think it may have been! Lol, are you the guy who does the leather restoration...? Might want to do something with my door handles

• 2 weeks later...

So a few new presents have turned up recently…

Got all my pieces back from the polishers and very happy with the results.

Also I’ve also finally got hold of my K sport from brakes, the polishers explained to me how much of a chew on it will be with polished brakes that I’ve decided to just keep them painted. So they are going to stay red.

Decided to give my engine mounts a polish myself and a lick of paint.

Roll cage in and rear seats back in.

I’m also going to route the vacuum for the brake booster back through the cabin to keep it hidden, so I believe I need to place a one way valve on this pipe…? Looking at the below diagram (sorry its crude) which way should the valve be placed? Should the air be pushed through from the Plenum (A) or sucked from the plenum (B)

Also decided on keeping my original 4 spoke steering wheel and Stevo is going to carbon wrap the top and bottom and I’m then going to have the leather retrimmed on the other parts by Hide n Seat in Durham.

Next up refit the dash and wiring.

B is correct, the engine "sucks" and the valve should hold the created vacuum within the servo. With the one way valve in the hose you should be able to suck from the plenum end, but not blow. You need special vacuum hose for servo piping, it has a wire spiral within its walls to stop it collapsing. Don't use anything other than the right stuff!

I've seen Stevo's carbon skinning first hand and he does a cracking job!

yeah, real quality work!

great project and nice to see you making some progress, if you want to sell your old TRD of the white shell, pm me ;)

thanks mate, the guy who bought the shell also bought the wing! Sorry

B is correct, the engine "sucks" and the valve should hold the created vacuum within the servo. With the one way valve in the hose you should be able to suck from the plenum end, but not blow. You need special vacuum hose for servo piping, it has a wire spiral within its walls to stop it collapsing. Don't use anything other than the right stuff!

thanks Chris, great knowledge ! I was going to use silicone hose, so I'll change that plan. I've been having a look around to find some as I need about two meters of it. Any idea where I can get hold of some?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Luc, (enjoyed following your build)

Well probably time for another update… it’s been so blooming cold up here in the north and I’ve got another project on the go at the minute so don’t have a great deal of spare time to work on Goliath, but as its starting to get closer to the summer I’m starting to crack on with this project.

So what have I been doing… well I managed to put all the engine pieces back together attached the manual gearbox and finally get it in the car. (I’ve been wanting to do this for ages!)

You can’t see it in this picture, but also start piping in my intercooler pipes with BOV onto the throttle body.

I also reattached the anti roll bar and started polishing the top of the alloy radiator.

As I’ve got the car up in the air decided to fit all my new brakes, fingers were crossed that they fitted, I knew they would be snug, by wow it’s a tight fit!

I’ve also now fibre glassed the rear tub, as one side wasn’t done properly and fitted new braided brake lines all round. Also started to rub down the underneath with a wire brush before I'll be giving it an undercoat.

My QTP exhaust butterfly valve arrived just the other day, I'm going to wire this into my dash and attach the valve to the decat pipe so that at the flick of a switch I can open up the exhaust in the middle of the car . (might be a touch loud!)

Interior wise, I sanded down all my dashboard panels, and have decided to paint them in Burgandy red, which will go with some of the interior flocking I’ve had done.

Next up is to start on the fuel lines and my engine loom, but I made a list to put in my garage, so I can start ticking things off!

Hopefully more updates to follow soon...

• 1 month later...

Things have moved on a little since my last update, signed up to Scottish Car Mod show in July, so I’ve got my completion date… need to have it done by then.

My steering wheel is now back and it really has a WOW Factor. Stevo from on the forum did the carbon work for me and Simon at Hide ‘n Seat Upholstery did the leather, both work is flawless and couldn’t be happier with the service I received!

I managed to get hold of a manual gear surround, but the little connector bits were missing of the bottom, so with a little bit of strong adhesive and a bit of filler on a hole that was in the top part, I’ve now got a fully working piece.

Also I had some new shiny pulleys delivered and they’re now installed.

Had to take the car out of the garage for a few weeks, whilst I had the garage extended so that it can fit the car in lengthways! Couple of pictures sitting outside along with my new toy and the Supra’s baby sitter, the GT4.

I’ve also managed to bleed the brakes and my clutch lines, so things are progressing… I’m going to start next on my exhaust and get that all into place and also start getting my intercooler and piping in place.

Great update mate looking awesome :) can I just ask what size and offset your Rota GTR-D's are on the front? im guessing 18x10 et35 are they? was the clearance on the K Sport fronts ok without any modification?

thanks Shawn,

they are et0 and didn't need any modification, it was very close though, I did have to remove one of the weights that was on the rim as it was just catching!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice mate

Good call keeping the brakes painted .. think you have enough to polish as it is ! lol

Thanks, yeah maybe.

• 2 weeks later...