The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TireStickers Review

ellis

I promised a few on here (and the supplier) that I'd do a review of these tyre stickers once fitted so here it is (finally!).

I know these can be a real marmite addition to the car but I quite like the Lightning McQueen/Hot Wheels look so was excited when I first read about these on Facebook a while back.

Initially these were a US purchase only but are now available in the UK from tirestickers.co.uk

They're available in semi-permanent and permanent and in a variety of standard formats, sizes, wheel diameters and colours as well as bespoke options. I opted for the standard Ken Block style in permanent at 0.75". If I had 18s with a deeper tyre wall I'm sure they'd look better still but with 19s and a distinct lack of side wall 0.75" is about as tall as you'd want to go.

As with all things car-related, these were fitted on the day I was due to take the car on DBXv2 to Amsterdam so had less than the ideal time for these to bond onto the tyres.

Fitting though was blissfully simple. I toyed with the idea of taking each wheel off to do it but time was not on my side so did them on the car just rolling it backwards and forwards to get the right part of the tyre exposed. Gave the areas to apply the stickers to a damn good wipe and clean with acetone (nail varnish remover) as well as wiping the back of the stickers too.

Applied the adhesive that they supply and they went on a treat. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy and mess-free it all was. All done in an hour.

Stickers is a bit of a misnomer really because the permanent ones are rubber, a mm or so thick, so are pretty hardy.

The pics below show the car at Ashford after about 200+ miles and the second one after 1500 miles (uncleaned at this point)! They stood up really well. Had to dab a couple of edges back down with the glue but this was down to the lack of time I left them to set first time round. I think if they'd had overnight they'd have been perfect.

Will look at getting custom ones made for Dragonball 2017 as I think they'd look awesome in a similar font to the ones on there now.

No more fiddling about with a paintbrush, radiator paint and a lost day for me anymore. I'm really chuffed with these and how they've already stood up to some proper abuse.

Recommended? Hell yes, I think these are brilliant!

I promised a few on here (and the supplier) that I'd do a review of these tyre stickers once fitted so here it is (finally!).

I know these can be a real marmite addition to the car but I quite like the Lightning McQueen/Hot Wheels look so was excited when I first read about these on Facebook a while back.

Initially these were a US purchase only but are now available in the UK from tirestickers.co.uk

They're available in semi-permanent and permanent and in a variety of standard formats, sizes, wheel diameters and colours as well as bespoke options. I opted for the standard Ken Block style in permanent at 0.75". If I had 18s with a deeper tyre wall I'm sure they'd look better still but with 19s and a distinct lack of side wall 0.75" is about as tall as you'd want to go.

As with all things car-related, these were fitted on the day I was due to take the car on DBXv2 to Amsterdam so had less than the ideal time for these to bond onto the tyres.

Fitting though was blissfully simple. I toyed with the idea of taking each wheel off to do it but time was not on my side so did them on the car just rolling it backwards and forwards to get the right part of the tyre exposed. Gave the areas to apply the stickers to a damn good wipe and clean with acetone (nail varnish remover) as well as wiping the back of the stickers too.

Applied the adhesive that they supply and they went on a treat. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy and mess-free it all was. All done in an hour.

Stickers is a bit of a misnomer really because the permanent ones are rubber, a mm or so thick, so are pretty hardy.

The pics below show the car at Ashford after about 200+ miles and the second one after 1500 miles (uncleaned at this point)! They stood up really well. Had to dab a couple of edges back down with the glue but this was down to the lack of time I left them to set first time round. I think if they'd had overnight they'd have been perfect.

Will look at getting custom ones made for Dragonball 2017 as I think they'd look awesome in a similar font to the ones on there now.

No more fiddling about with a paintbrush, radiator paint and a lost day for me anymore. I'm really chuffed with these and how they've already stood up to some proper abuse.

Recommended? Hell yes, I think these are brilliant!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ellisgrange/IMG_4551_zpso6b8rin1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/ellisgrange/IMG_4627_zps2c7cnuyy.jpg

I think they are ok, probably suited more to race/track car than road car, but thats my personal opinion.

The only issue I have with it is...you dont have Toyo tyres :)

Good to hear they have held up on the road, I may think about getting some for my track car, I still find them a little marmite so I am not sure if it would good or not.

I think they are ok, probably suited more to race/track car than road car, but thats my personal opinion.

The only issue I have with it is...you dont have Toyo tyres :)

Good to hear they have held up on the road, I may think about getting some for my track car, I still find them a little marmite so I am not sure if it would good or not.

I know, but they don't have Vredestein ones! :p

It was the look I was after and, as I said, won't be to everyone's taste. For me they are exactly what I was after.

That tyre looks really stretched mate :/

Of course it's not! Just the distortion of the Apple lens - silly boy. I'm not one of those VW-driving, massive-camber, euro-style, baseball-cap-wearing ne'eer do wells!

- - - Updated - - -

No, I mean, really, NO! It'll be neons next, thin end of the wedge old boy.

Let me enjoy my crisis!

Not to your taste then :) They would look better on a tyre where the sticker went over the OEM writing in the right place and size. Having the wording over the tyre size and the logo of another manufacture makes it look a bit odd.

£80 odd quid puts me off also

*HOW* much???? I wouldn't pay eighty quid for a pair of tyres, let alone for some stickers ;)

Would look great if the sticker actually matched the tyre brand, but that's just me being picky

/QUOTE]

In a perfect world I'd want the same but as I already had 4 good tyres this was the best solution other than buying 4 tyres to match!

As I keep saying, not to everyone's taste (especially Mr W!) but I put this up as I'd had a fair few members comment on the original painted ones and were keen to go a similar route. See me as doing a public service if you will.

Having seen them over the weekend I actually quite liked them as they suit the car (which is looking great btw mate!). Something a bit different but very much all ties in together....you just need a set of Toyo's now! 😉

Nice of you to take the time doing a review, will always be useful to others.

Its always your opinion that counts when modding your own car. But, its not for me. Your car is stunning with such a sleek and subtle kit that makes you look closer at the car in certain areas to take it all in. The stickers distract from that i feel.

Also, how do you put tyre shine on, without covering the white or having to spend ages cleaning off the letters? :D

As they say, each to their own.. I like it from a distance, I see what (the look which I think is cool) you're trying to achieve, but then when you get up close and realise they're not Toyos and even if they were, its just a sticker.. I dunno.. not my cuppa tea and certainly not for £80! :)

BTW whats the big deal about Toyo Proxies? ;)