The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Stall torque converters - titan 3800

and1c

Just wondering if anyone with actual experience of living with a Hi Stall TC can chime in with what I can expect.

I have a PT67 single turbo setup, around 500 rwhp but due to rise soon with new turbo and some other bits. I am just fitting Titan stage 2 auto box and wondering if I should use the Titan 3800 stall (I bought off Kaan) I have or not...

I will be sorting several good tranny coolers, gauges etc but I don't really want to have to rev its nuts off during hill starts, but if the trade off is worth it I will!

Or do I stick with the stock one and accept having to wait to build boost in certain situations, eg from the traffic lights!! I do plan on using it at santa pod for definite, but mainly street use. NOT a daily driver, just a fun car. thanks

ps/ I have searched. A lot. There seems to be an equal amount of good things as well as bad things for the hi stall..!

Edited by and1c (see edit history)

You'd get mixed opinions here with Hi Stalls. I can only offer you my input. To me I couldn't drive a supra without one since both the ones i've owned have had 3800 hi stalls. Theres a lot of misconceptions about it causing the car not to roll when you lift of the foot brake, but thats not true. You do have to rev the tits off the car to get it moving but how quickly the thing spools up is worth it.

You definitely need a huge oil cooler as it does cause the box to create a lot more heat.

I was running a 3800 Hi-stall on my previous set-up with a PT67 turbo with one Huge cooler had no issues, was fine on hill starts didn't roll back and you get used to the high revving when pulling away:)

Thanks for the input guys. What sort of rpm did you find it actually stalls at? Is 3k rpm a reasonable figure??

I couldn't get the lock-up switch mod to work on my car hence making it difficult when it was mapped on a dyno but will deffo recommend the hi-stall setup especially if you what to do drag racing

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know what the lockup switch mod is? Is it the grounding of the relevant ecu wire or something ? Cheers

• 3 months later...

To update on this for anyone else in this position. I finally have the car setup and running sweetly. Titan stage 2 race auto box , titan 3800 hi stall and the single setup. Everything I read is true about the hi stall.... It is superb for cruising and getting on boost straightaway, but around town it does make you sound like you can't drive , especially crawling uphill in traffic!!! But the tradeoff is worth it and I have developed a driving style to try and remain inconspicuous while driving slowly around town that sort of works...

As for WOT action. It has turned the car into a completely different animal. The gearbox is superb, most happy with it, however the car is a bit scary to drive in the current damp conditions, there is no real half measures and when it gets on full boost it seems to try and kill me quite often in winter conditions. To that end I have spent some cautious time learning to drive it and I am now in a position where I can review it in a very positive light.

I also installed 3 transmission coolers (sized to prevent pressure drop) and a digital trans temp gauge and sender. Temps are currently a very comfortable 50-70 degrees C max even with the most spirited of driving or stall slipping but I am sure the max will rise a tad when the Summer hopefully comes next year, will add a fan if needed but I doubt it will be.

So far basically, I like the setup, although I would be curious on what a 3200 stall is like to live with. Maybe more suited to a daily...

You'll soon get fed up with it.

That fluid temp is too low, fit a thermostat and run two of your three rads through it or your box will soon die.

Thanks David.

I researched on Trans temperatures and thought I might end up having to fit a stat. I will get a Mocal one ordered and fitted.

Regards whether I will get fed up or not. I doubt it, the trade off with instant boost is more than worth the negatives and I built this car primarily as an occasional car with the 1/4 mile in mind. Just need to see what it does on the strip next year.

I will update the other tech thread regards the gearbox issues I had with what the problem turned out to be!

Very interesting read, and glad to see your really happy with the results.

I know everyone always says we shouldn't worry about fuel usage, but I assume it drinks petrol like no bodies business with a high stall?

Great fun though I bet. :D

Indeed, fuel usage isn't great :D but I don't use it as a daily so only notice it go down by the 1/4 tank :blink:

It is not bad at all once your moving to be honest, you can cruise at 2000 rpm no problem in many situations when you have some inertia. However to get moving from a standstill I would say the stall starts working at about 2500 rpm, then semi locked and building boost at 3000 rpm and fully locked at 3500rpm.

It doesn't really change the dynamics for me of the auto supra (which I like) but I am wanting to do some times at the Pod next year and will hopefully see the parts and work pay off. When I get round to it I will start a thread on what the car has had done to it, and what I am doing to hopefully make it put a reasonable time down the 1/4 mile.

What times are you looking to put down at pod mate?

Always good to see people work up the leaderboard

Good question!!

Initially I am aiming for low to mid 11s.

Eventually with a bigger turbo and new fuel setup I would like to go notably faster..! Just need to get the chassis setup right in addition to the other factors.

i am in a similar position to you. im currenty running about 550bhp on a precision 6266, i have a stock tt auto box with 2 srd auto oolers off of Kaans car.

i saw someone on the forum is selling a pi 3400 which i am considering buying but although mine isnt my daily it is my weekend car so i will use it in town and as much as i can over the weekend and im worried the histall might ruin that.

i dont suppose you could get a few videos of it because there arent a huge amount about.

the key thing missing from mine is off the mark fun and when i kick down and i am going too fast for 1zt and 2nd has to spool. Has it sorted these areas?

i am in a similar position to you. im currenty running about 550bhp on a precision 6266, i have a stock tt auto box with 2 srd auto oolers off of Kaans car.

i saw someone on the forum is selling a pi 3400 which i am considering buying but although mine isnt my daily it is my weekend car so i will use it in town and as much as i can over the weekend and im worried the histall might ruin that.

i dont suppose you could get a few videos of it because there arent a huge amount about.

the key thing missing from mine is off the mark fun and when i kick down and i am going too fast for 1zt and 2nd has to spool. Has it sorted these areas?

I have heard mixed things about the PI stalls, mainly not good things. I would personally go for the titan one. I will get some video yes no problem.

If I was speccing a stall again I would go for the 3800 every time as my goals mean turbos coming on boost >3k RPM. All stalls are supposed to vary a little but mine does exactly what other Titan 3800's do, starts biting at 2500, building boost at 3k and gone above that!

It transforms kickdown yes, it is literally ready to boost in every scenario, and it does so very quickly whereas with the stock stall I could find the car bogging until it built boost in certain situations. In fact for me it has transformed the car in a good way. It also happens to be perfect for my 1/4 mile goals.

I will look into some video options.... I don't have an in car setup and am not a fan of mobile phone videos, will see if I can get my go pro dash mount in operation!

I know someone in the US with a very similar setup to me and same turbo, gearbox and stall ran 10.2 at 136 so I would be pissed off if I don't get low 11's initially and then high tens after some tweaking.

The stock TC flash stalls to 2, 000 rph , I think the 3200 stall would be best suited to a street car , also with the higher stall I hear the lock up plays up, iirc its to do with motorway cruising where the TC is still slipping / not engaging 1:1 ratio so you need to manually set / switch the lock up or you will cook the box from all the extra heat .

The stock TC flash stalls to 2, 000 rph , I think the 3200 stall would be best suited to a street car , also with the higher stall I hear the lock up plays up, iirc its to do with motorway cruising where the TC is still slipping / not engaging 1:1 ratio so you need to manually set / switch the lock up or you will cook the box from all the extra heat .

Lockup switch does indeed stop TC causing the gearbox to hunt at motorway speeds. But a good tranny oil temp gauge and multiple coolers is my safety backup. I don't like using a lockup switch in case I forget it's on and roll the 2nd gear sprag by getting a bit heavy with the go pedal. With my setup at least, I can drive at motorway speeds and find a happy place where I don't need to manually lock it up. For my setup the 3800 is perfect, and for my next upgraded setup it will be too. There is a tradeoff but then I forget that when I get the kind of instant boost I do now I have installed it!

Stock converter used to lock up at 2200rpm for us, worked great launching as TT. But launching a single turbo with a stock converter is awful. That's the advantages of having a high stall. Although the stock torque converter with our setup works great on the road. Power delivery is alot more predictable and also more smooth. unlike it was with the 3600rpm hi stall.