The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bosch - Water injection released to mass market

Jellybean

Very nice :thumbs:

I never saw a setup with an injector for each cylinder , I dont know if it would be possible to use the conventional Fuel injector as the Water injector too, if you could some how twin feed the injector ? or if aftermarket intakes with twin fuel rails could be used for Water injection as opposed fuel , I presume they are 14mm or 11mm injectors

Would also be worth checking if the injectors are alcohol safe as most people use meth in the water injection system, I use to run a 50/50 mix :D

That being said you could bin all this extra stuff and fit a flex-fuel sensor and run meth in the main tank with your petrol, much simpler solution..

Would also be worth checking if the injectors are alcohol safe as most people use meth in the water injection system, I use to run a 50/50 mix :D

That being said you could bin all this extra stuff and fit a flex-fuel sensor and run meth in the main tank with your petrol, much simpler solution..

Good Idea!

I love that idea.

Could eek more torque out of the GTR ;)

• 4 months later...

Can someone assist with my understanding here.

The use of an ethanol mix with the fuel in the vehicle controlled by a fuel flex sensor, via a Syvecs or similar stand alone ECU, will improve both torque and bhp whilst assisting in cooling the engine as per the Bosch and Aquamist type systems?

Shouldn't the mixture be more water than meth like 70/30? I always thought water was the main component and the methanol was just to stabilize the mixture. To keep it from freezing and to help with atomizing. Of course the meth is a high octane fuel and if you compensate for it with extra air it should produce some extra horsepower. To prevent knock and lower EGTs it's still mainly the water that is the main "active ingredient" and what allows you to run more compression and timing.

I believe you can use anything from 100% water to 100% methanol and anything in between (i.e. 30% water and 70% methanol).

I was told when used by itself and not mixed with at least 40% water, methanol becomes extremely flammable. So to be on the safe side to run a 50/50 water/meth mix. At this ratio it is no longer considered a flammable liquid and I still achieves optimal results.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

Can someone assist with my understanding here.

The use of an ethanol mix with the fuel in the vehicle controlled by a fuel flex sensor, via a Syvecs or similar stand alone ECU, will improve both torque and bhp whilst assisting in cooling the engine as per the Bosch and Aquamist type systems?

Most after-market WI kits are added as a simple safety measure, ie enabled for trackdays, spirited drives and enabled above a desired boost pressure, in most cases the fuelling, ignition and boost are unaffected, you can of course map for the WI but you would need safety guards in place to detect a failure in the system or risk losing the engine, all of which is possible of course. They normally consist of single a jet placed on the inlet, there are also various positions depending on which end affect is required, ie charge cooling or octane increase, then there are multiport setups which have a jet per cylinder, these systems would normally be mapped and have the required safety feedback.

Using a flexfuel sensor the ECU handles everything, running more aggressive torque, boost and fueling etc resulting in more torque and power, you have all the safety features included and dont have to worry another system running in parallel possibly failing.

I believe you can use anything from 100% water to 100% methanol and anything in between (i.e. 30% water and 70% methanol).

I was told when used by itself and not mixed with at least 40% water, methanol becomes extremely flammable. So to be on the safe side to run a 50/50 water/meth mix. At this ratio it is no longer considered a flammable liquid and I still achieves optimal results.

Also if using your washer bottle you dont really want to spray 100% meth over your windscreen, bit of a waste :D