The mkiv Supra Owners Club

An awful end to a great night!

JackyBoi

So was anyone else at the London tunnel runs last night? It was a really good turn out, 2.8k-ish people in attendance, lots of nice cars and some extremely spirited driving!

But the fun came to an end as soon as I was taking my friend home back in Cambridge. I pulled into his road and suddenly, as soon as we came to street lights, noticed HUGE plumes of smoke coming out the exhaust, I mean it was like a frikkin' smoke screen it was so bad, so I immediately killed the car to check the engine. When I opened the engine to my surprise the TRD oil filler cap had blown off completely, pissing oil all over the bay. I checked oil level after a while and it was on just over half. I let it cool for a while, filled up with oil again, and turned it on and God damn:

https://vimeo.com/180571875

(Ratting is from clutch)

My immediate thought was that the loss in oil pressure may have blown a seal such as a turbo oil seal or something similar, or maybe a headgasket? Either way does it look like a full engine rebuild is required?

EDIT: just to clarify I don't know how long I was driving with the oil cap off, could have been 5-20+ minutes as we were racing cars off the M11 and it was too dark to see smoke behind me. Also there were no warning lights from inside the car, AFR's were okay and I didn't smell anything until we got off the motorway and opened the windows. I sure hope my engine is okay, even if the turbo isn't! Any and all help will be hugely appreciated here guys :)

we were racing cars off the M11 and it was too dark to see smoke behind me.

Imagine if they weren't trying to race, but instead trying to speed up to you to tell you your car looks like a chimney :D

Sorry to hear about your issues though buddy! Hope it goes to a decent garage who know what they're doing...:taped:

If your oil level has not fallen below minimum on the dipstick, you might be lucky and find that the smoke was from oil thrown onto exhaust.

Watch the video, smoke is coming out of the exhaust ;)

Sounds like its ticking over ok so might not be that poorly and just need the turbo looking at

Imagine if they weren't trying to race, but instead trying to speed up to you to tell you your car looks like a chimney :D

Sorry to hear about your issues though buddy! Hope it goes to a decent garage who know what they're doing...:taped:

Phaha, maybe! Although I would expect at least some high beam flashes to try and let me know :p

Surprised your Syvecs didn't intervene?

By all means take the turbo off and hope for the best, but that amount of smoke is unfortunately likely to be something much more serious. :(

Honestly don't even think my Syvecs has been properly installed, surely if it was it'd notice the drop in oil pressure from no oil filler cap and as you said intervene?

Hopefully turbo, but with that amount of smoke the first thing i would be doing is compression and leak down test, good luck..

I hope it's just the turbo too, the engine did sound okay but obviously I didn't keep it running. Second lot of tests will be done ASAP

EDIT: thanks everyone for the help and recommendations, I'm still very confused whether or not this issue was caused entirely by the oil filler cap coming off or something else

Just a thought.

You say that your TRD cap had come off, is that one of those that has the badge on the wonk when it's done up properly which anal folks leave a little bit undone to make the TRD badge straight?

You could not be more spot on, and yes I am one of those anal folk! Although I've always done that since I got the cap (a year ago) this is the first time it's failed

So you've been leaving the oil cap loose for a year now:blink:

Looks like you've learned an anal lesson.

It's not even 1/20th of a turn. The difference between it being 'fully tight' and 'anally straight' is absolutely negligible. I'm gonna get some photos tomorrow so you can see it isn't like I've been leaving it loose as hell.

Anyone else with a TRD oil cap wanna pop up - is yours the same as mine?

Last night much where you using anti lag /pops and bangs ?

I was using anti lag for a bit whilst driving but that was it, didn't even use the launch control which is a lot more brutal than the normal anti lag

May have just done a turbo seal if you were on it so much? Sounds like a good night though lol

Yeah I hope so mate. It was brilliant right up until the last 5 minutes!

Isnt yours pretty much a brand new precision turbo?

It is yes, however it was sitting on a questionable manifold which MAY have sent bits of metal into the turbo as suggested by JamieP, but I can't say until it's taken into the garage and stripped down!

I had someone briefly look at my Supra this morning and he's pretty certain that my turbo oil seal is knackered and that the engine SHOULD be fine (due to not hearing any knocks/rattles etc) but he said obviously there are no guarantees until it's had a full compression/leak down test. He asked me to start it which I was hesitant to do but did regardless, and there was no smoke. Then as soon as some heat got into it, the smoke started and gradually got thicker. He thinks that the oil cap coming off (for whatever reason, still looking into it) caused a big evacuation of oil and dried out the turbo oil seal to the extent it failed. So seems the forum was pretty bang on at identifying the problem :p will update once it's all been stripped down and checked! :thumbs:

And on a side note, I'm thinking of a BW S366 if the turbo is done :D

It is yes, however it was sitting on a questionable manifold which MAY have sent bits of metal into the turbo as suggested by JamieP, but I can't say until it's taken into the garage and stripped down!

Ouch expensive mistake!

Well a turbo rebuild should be cheaper than an engine so fingers crossed thats all it is