The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help please. Control arm bolt stuck

MBA-Supra11

Hello people, I needed to replace front upper control arm as the ball joint went but can't remove the bolt.

I removed the nut, cut the control arm in half and slid half off. I've sprayed PB blaster where the bolt goes into the sleeve and hammered everywhere I can see to try and loosen the crap build up in the sleeve. Next step is to use heat but I don't know where to heat or what to use to heat the metal.

Any ideas? Thanks

image.jpg

Guest Budz86

As Mike says, try jacking the hub up and it will take the pressure off so you can slide the bolt out.

Getting it back in can also be a pain so use the same trick but align the holes with a smaller, thinner bolt first then the longer one should just slide with a couple of taps of a hammer.

The bolt is not rotating but the control arm bush in the picture is

I'd carefully grind the head off the bolt and remove the rest of the arm, then i'd get some heat on the bolt but only the bolt, you could use some sheet metal to protect around the inner arch behind the bolt

The heat as it travels along the bolt will free up the corrosion but you'll need to get the bolt pretty hot, cherry reddish then hit it either way, you could actually heat up the nut end first before cutting the head off then you can get a spanner on that end and try to rotate it, also heating up the aluminium cross member will help

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)