The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on this please

drift_bear

As you all know I'm trying to sell my GTR still and I have been offered this as a swap, does anyone know the car at all? I have 2 options in my mind and that is to either

1. Sell as a complete car

Or

2. Break for parts

It's not that modified from what I can gather, but has some nice stuff on it. All the spec i received was

TT Auto (pre-facelift)

MOT - 17/11/16 (the history is actually really good and hasn't needed anything serious/much)

040 White

112k miles

Blitz BOV

Blitz intake

3" exhaust

Fmic

Gizmo boost controller

18" BBS wheels

Also comes with full R154 conversion.

What's does everyone think it's worth either as a whole or in parts?

The conversion kit itself is certainly going to do 2.5-3k.

It's a bit nice to break as a car in my opinion. I do think it will be easier sold than your gtr alone so if the px deal is right for you id say go for it.

Car like that is bound to do 7-8.5k, maybe more with a nice set of standard or TTE wheels if you could turn them up

Either selling as a whole or stripping

It would sell quicker

Parts probably get your money back easily

Will be even able to keep some parts as spares?

I am leaning more towards breaking if I go for it tbh. Just need to sit down and lost everything I can sell lol. I would probably keep a couple of things tbh

This use to belong to a member on here, one of Mk4gaz mates kelvin, can't remember his user name. Car was alright then to my knowledge......

Will drop gary a message :)

It's a JZA80 auto as far as it's origin is concerned.

The R154 conversion adds no value except to a handful of buyers, and actually means insurance will be a bit trickier for some.

Breaking for parts and selling it is a real hassle, better just wait for a buyer to come along and offer a good price for the GTR unless there is something up with that car also?

Private sale value for a 112k mile 'auto' with considerable aftermarket styling?? £6.5k - and that's being quite generous.

The R154 conversion adds no value except to a handful of buyers, and actually means insurance will be a bit trickier for some.

Breaking for parts and selling it is a real hassle, better just wait for a buyer to come along and offer a good price for the GTR unless there is something up with that car also?

Private sale value for a 112k mile 'auto' with considerable aftermarket styling?? £6.5k - and that's being quite generous.

6.5k?? lol

Have you seen market prices lately?

R154 conversion is a big bonus to some.

I would say £12k plus

No offence but i've only just seen you starting to post recently, so i am taking your "advice" with a pinch of salt.

6.5k?? lol

Have you seen market prices lately?

R154 conversion is a big bonus to some.

I would say £12k plus

When you say market prices - I take this as the recent inflated prices (partially based off the shoddy £ to Yen rates) put up by dealers and 'importers' as seen in pistonheads and ebay?

Automatic Supras are not being actually *sold* anywhere near that price unless they have exceptionally low miles and level of condition, and you can see in the classifieds here they are a few reasonably good Supras priced at the 5 figure level still waiting to be sold.

An R154 conversion does not make it an original JZA80 with a V160/161, so its a modification that has to be declared when insuring it, one gear missing, the box is worth £450 and put together by whom? Good luck.

£6.5 k is about right.

When you say market prices - I take this as the recent inflated prices (partially based off the shoddy £ to Yen rates) put up by dealers and 'importers' as seen in pistonheads and ebay?

Automatic Supras are not being actually *sold* anywhere near that price unless they have exceptionally low miles and level of condition, and you can see in the classifieds here they are a few reasonably good Supras priced at the 5 figure level still waiting to be sold.

An R154 conversion does not make it an original JZA80 with a V160/161, so its a modification that has to be declared when insuring it, one gear missing, the box is worth £450 and put together by whom? Good luck.

£6.5 k is about right.

It's prices that cars have been selling for. The reason for that is supply/demand. Importers haven't just raised their prices for sh*ts and giggles.

Maybe time to do some homework before spouting rubbish.

If it was a 6 speed manual it would be £17k plus going on current prices.

No offence but i've only just seen you starting to post recently, so i am taking your "advice" with a pinch of salt.

No offence taken.

It's not the news you want to hear, but it's at least one single honest opinion.

I used to own a fairly stock R33 GTR until 3 years ago, and sold it during the time when everyone was convinced they were worth £10k-£12k easily with Japanese import dealers slapping similar price tags on their fresh of the boat offerings...

I had to price under £7k that to actually sell it - I was getting stupid offers left, right and center. It would seem that the R33 (with exception to clean high powered / re-built examples) only attracted this sort of buyer.

So the same applies here with the resale power of an Automatic Supra with high miles , if you take a risk by allowing inflated dealer ad prices to influence your buying/selling decision - then be my guest.

All the best!

Edited by Anh (see edit history)

It's prices that cars have been selling for. The reason for that is supply/demand. Importers haven't just raised their prices for sh*ts and giggles.

Maybe time to do some homework before spouting rubbish.

If it was a 6 speed manual it would be £17k plus going on current prices.

A genuine 6 speed manual (from the factory) is legitimately trading hands for around that price yes, nearly they always have better re-sale power. Prices always remain strong with genuine factory manual cars.

Automatics constantly are dismissed by the mainstream in the context of sports cars, you cannot convince buyers to pay anywhere near this sort of money. And swapping a 25 year old 5 speed gearbox certainly won't do it any favours - its a major modification that was carried out by someone, somewhere, and as such carries a high risk of uncertainty to the buyer, and with no official back catalogue for maintenance and repairs.

You can put as much spin as you want about supply/demand, all I point out is that real demand reflects what prices the automatic cars are actually sold at, not what sellers are hoping it gets sold at on the blind basis on forum opinion.

Edited by Anh (see edit history)

Tough one that dude. Supra's do seem to be selling better than Skylines though these days so you could maybe get a quick sale out of it. Might lose a little bit of cash though, just depends how keen you are to free up money?

Already lost £5k on the GTR, so can't see the supra losing to much. Just wanting to see if there's much interest in it whole or in parts really