The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It's finally here!!

samdale

After what feels like ages, my Supra is finally on my drive.

It's a Quicksilver, vvti RZ and I'm over the moon with it.

Not without its issues, chief among which is the suspension. A set of very firm "advox"? Coil overs.

There are gadgets all over the dash and I'm still not sure what some of them are! So far identified defi link, controller and boost gauge, a turbo timer.

Thoughts so far?

Well the V161 isn't as bad as expected after some describing it as agricultural. The gears are closer together than I expected both in the distance I move the stick and in their ratios. I expected 6th to be a gutless cruising gear but it doesn't feel much higher gear than 5th in my other car.

The ride is bone shakingly firm and this is something I will be asking advice on. I kind of want adjustable ride height but not at the expense of OEM softness. Maybe just plump for OEM dampers and whifbitz springs?

It goes like stink! My other car is a rev 5 n/a MR2...

Not sure I'm convinced on the veilside alloys but theres a set of OEM 17s sat in my garage waiting.

The stereo is kack but does talk to you in Japanese when you start up which makes me smile. I think I'll need to find a new dash panel as it looks like mine was butchered at some point to fit a stereo.

All the niggles I have seem to be easily solvable so for now I'm just enjoying driving it! Did I mention it goes like stink!?

14722017482421976543802.jpg

1472201829835319530878.jpg

14722018510461736691025.jpg

1472201905487-1244556468.jpg

1472201944464134342117.jpg

Lovely car dude. The wheels would look nice refurbed and some spacers I think, can only pull them off if theres no arch gap and good fitment but that's just my opinion. The only thing that lets the wheels down is the centre cap on them!

As far as suspension, do you want it low at all or would a high ride height bother you? A good set of coilivers like BC Racing / HSD or something give quite a comfortable ride with adjustable dampers/preload etc and are well priced. Also gives you plenty of ride height control unlike springs on OEM/Bilstein dampers.

There are quite a few additional goodies both OEM and non.

OEM carbon wheel, knee rest(s)?, Pedal covers, leather? head lining, sub cut out boot carpet.

Greddy top rad pipe, Cusco carbon front strut brace, unknown brand rear brace, Blitz? Induction (may return to stock), HIDs and yes 18" veilside alloys.

Probably more I'll keep finding. Not sure on values for much of it but know the carbon wheel is worth silly money for just a tiny bit of carbon!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking motor. First thing I'd do is take the dash panels off and check the wiring for the additional gadgets is safe.

You see all kinds when Japs add 3rd party gizmos, from soldered/shrink-wrapped wires (good) to 'scotch' clips, to exposed wires just twisted around each other with no shrink/electrical tape.

First thing I'd do is take the dash panels off

I tried the search feature a while ago, if there a guide for how to remove all the dash panels and in what order?

I need to replace the stereo/air con dash panel too as some moron has cut around the stereo freehand at some point and made a bt of a mess of it.

I tried the search feature a while ago, if there a guide for how to remove all the dash panels and in what order?

I need to replace the stereo/air con dash panel too as some moron has cut around the stereo freehand at some point and made a bt of a mess of it.

There are 5 screws securing the odometer trim above the speedo cluster. The rest of the panels are clipped in I think (been a while since I've had them off).

Once you've removed the odometer panel, flip the lid up on the storage tray to the left of the handbrake and then pull upwards to remove it.

You can then remove the panel around the gear stick (i lift at the rear, then either side of the gear stick then the front).

You should now be able to remove the radio/ac panel, then the speedo cluster panel and finally the ignition key panel.

Im pretty sure all bar the odometer panel are held in with clips alone, but best check for any obvious hidden screws.

Good Luck