The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Daily Driver

brassbones

I am currently on my 6th MK4, about a decade since the last. I never kept any of the previous 5 longer than maybe a year (due to having more money than sense back then … very different nowadays!) but they were all daily drivers in so much as they were my only car. With this one I’m running an 09 plate X-type 2.2D alongside it.

It’s nice having the security of a backup if either goes bang but a) it’s expensive and b) nice as the x-type is I don’t really want to drive it when I can swan about in my MK4 lol!!! I have the insurance mileages based on about 10k miles per annum in each. Of course the jag does nearly 40mpg’s whilst the MK4 is around 25mpg so every time I drive the jag I’m saving money. What are other members thought's on the daily driver quandary?

Paul W

Edited by brassbones (see edit history)

I have a sportKa for driving to the train station. It's the most depressing car in the world but to its credit it does its job. Drives me the 2 miles each morning and takes the car door dings you always get at a train station. If I relied on my supra it wouldn't be as much fun to drive as a hobby car

I had a focus for a little while when I first got my Supra. It was nice having lots of room for cargo and usable rear seats, and also nice getting 38mpg instead of 21. Dead slow though.

I ended up not really using it because I don't haul passengers/objects much so I got rid of it, the tax/insurance wasn't worth it to keep around.

Alongside the Supra, I have my E36 Compact that i have been using to drift in. Thats my daily lol

Family purposes, I have a Nissan Cubic, (7 seater Nissan Cube) plus a Talbot Express Campervan.

Supra and Talbot are off the road for work so dont have too much choice on what i daily drive :(

I have always had a 2nd car along with the Supra though the problem I find is as the Supra is locked away in the garage you tend to forget about it lol I just bought a little Audi A3 2011 model Quattro 170 diesel and I really like it. Getting it mapped next month so it will be a bit more fun, should be about 210bhp lol

I have not driven mine for over 2 years now as I play with bikes more, in fact the more I play with bikes the less I like cars lol

I have ordered some new wheels to see if I can be more involved with the Supra again but we shall see

Daft as it seems, being able to drop the rear bench top part means I can fit more into the back of the Supra than the x-type. I might give it a try for my next game of golf! Clubs in passenger seat, everything else in boot :)

I squeeze my XL 29" wheeled mountain bike into the back of mine quite regularly. Not fun tho, as I know one day I'll catch something and scratch hell out of it [emoji31]

Going to get a civic type R closer to winter tho, an FN2 as this past Feb was scary stuff in my supe. (Daily driver for last 3 years)

I've always had a daily used to be cheap bangers but now have a brand new Megane as a daily. The drive to work is dull and it would be criminal to put that pointless mileage on it plus I work at a supermarket so you can imagine what the supra would look like after a week parked in there.

I squeeze my XL 29" wheeled mountain bike into the back of mine quite regularly. Not fun tho, as I know one day I'll catch something and scratch hell out of it [emoji31]

Going to get a civic type R closer to winter tho, an FN2 as this past Feb was scary stuff in my supe. (Daily driver for last 3 years)

FN2 Type R civics are brilliant. Masses of space, comfortable sporty cabin and good performance. I'd have another one any day of the week. My old one was the GT Nav version with 19inch rage alloys on red. It was stunning.

I can't see why a Supra cannot be driven every day, unless it was modified extensively for other needs.

I use mine daily :)

It does make for a very good daily driver, with the exception of fuel economy, having to be very careful where you park, and obviously putting miles on to the car.

I've had a 2007 1.4TDI VW Polo for 3 years and couldn't do without it. Looks nice enough, extremely good mpg, parts are cheap af, £30 tax a year and I couldn't care less if someone hits it. It's actually quick and torquey enough for what it is. I actually love it. haha

I feel obliged to upload some racey pictures of it and show off..

I use mine daily :)

It does make for a very good daily driver, with the exception of fuel economy, having to be very careful where you park, and obviously putting miles on to the car.

Mine was supposed to be a summer months daily driver but after putting loads of miles on the first summer I rarely take it out now.

I do enjoy polishing it though :D

2004 Toyota Prius! :D A little different to my Supra but I used to do a lot of driving (much less now) so it proved a good choice. £10 a year road tax. Just this week I did a 360 round trip with an average MPG of 64 which is not bad for quite a spacious car.

Also its amazingly reliable, I've owned it for 5 years and literally nothing has failed (touch wood) except the rear brake lights (which involved replacing the whole unit!)

Good points about having to be careful where you park it, it is something of an attention grabber, including the wrong attention!!!

I can't see me going to just the Supra but maybe I'll downsize the 2nd car. Maybe to something I can take stuff to the tip in!!!!

As for miles on the supra, I think most quoted mileages are bollocks anyway. as a buyer I'd sooner go on the appearance, the test drive, any history and the knowledge that these cars are mega over engineered and reliable.