The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from a newbie

Guest GrantyBoy

Guest GrantyBoy

Hi All :thumbs:

Thought I would say hi as I've just sigined up to this forum. At the moment I drive a v4 STi Type-R. She's pushing around 320ish BHP which is good for high 12 low 13 1/4 mile times. I'm very happy with the car but I am looking to change. And yes, a TT supra is one of the contenders :innocent: Fancy some not so common, even though a Scooby Type-R is a very rare and amazing car every one just thinks 'Oh look, another chav in Scooby'

Haven't decided for sure if I am going to change for sure, looking for some more info regarding the different models and spec, idea of running, maintance costs (oil change every 3000 miles like the Scoob?), what to look out for, any weakness of engine/components. What are they like handling wise, all that power through the rear wheels is it going to chuck me off the road etc...

I've had a quick look around the forum but couldn't find a buyers guide. I'll have around £15k to play with give or take a grand so what can I expect my Stella tokens to get me.

Cheers for all the help and advice :cool:

Welcome,

Servicing will be at the same intervals, the different model's and spec will all be revealed with a quick search, the main one I'd be considering for 15k is a 1998 RZ or RZ-S vvti manual TT which for that money should get you one with under 50k on the clock.

The RZ was a higher spec model(came with more as standard) but the RZ-S had the option from factory for the things that came standard on the RZ.

From late 1996 came the facelift supra's and obviously the 98 will be one of these which had a 5 dial dash, different front/rear lights and from 1998 came the VVti.

If you plan to tune the car up a fair bit, ie single turbo I believe a 97 TT pre vvti is the one to go for as it is apparently easier to tune at the moment till further development on the vvti models.

Handling wise, well It'll be nothing like the scoob in the wet but in the dry should be a pretty fair match.

Hope this helps!

I've had a quick look around the forum but couldn't find a buyers guide. I'll have around £15k to play with give or take a grand so what can I expect my Stella tokens to get me.

There is a buyers guide of sorts about somewhere i believe.

For £15K you can pretty much have any supra you want.

Things i'd look for are the bigger type of brakes and that its definitely got a LSD as these are upgrades that if you want to do later will cost you alot.

Hiya mate....Welcome...

Its odd you are thinking get rid of the Scooby and get a Supra at this time of year Snow n all that......

Normally at this time of year I'm thinking how I'd like something with 4WD handling like a Scooby or a Mitzi, but soon as Easter comes I'm thinking naaaaa keep the Supra he he.

You should have both Supra for the Summer....Scooby for the winter...go on treat yaself he he.

Si

:rich:

Guest GrantyBoy

Thanks for all the warm welcomes...

Think I'll be looking for pre 97 so I can have some fun with it and tune it up :cool:

There is a very nice example that I do have my eye on:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=33574

Anyone here have any dealings with this dealer?

I would prefer an Aerotop for the five days of sun we have in Scotland. Are Supras a hand full in the wet?

Cheers for the guide Scooter :)

Good to see a 4WD driver turning to RWD.

If you know the limits of grip on a Supra TT then they are just as fast (if not faster) than similar BHP 4WD cars on both wet and dry surfaces.

If you're into tuning and acheiving big BHP (for relativly lower cost with respect to a Scooby), then you won't go wrong by buying a Supra.

Guest GrantyBoy

yeah another reason for me swapping, Scoobies tend to go POP at 400+ without costly internal work plus the STI gearbox I've got starts to die at 350ish plus which I'm fast approching :eyebrows:

Guest GrantyBoy

Question on mileage, what is high milage on these cars. I'm pretty much under the impresion that the engine is bullet proof but what is clased as high milage for these engines?

High mileage is not a problem if the engine has been standard for a good few years.

There are Supras around with over 150,000 and still going strong. You have to accept that if the engine has been stressed (tuned) for much of its life then you'll have to check out the turbo conditions as well as the other usual areas etc.

But I wouldn't be put off buying a Supra with over 100,000 miles on it. By that time they are nicely loosened up so they say. Just check its been serviced regularly!