The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Screamer into downpipe

berg

Well i had my car sound tested yesterday as im worried about a trackday i have booked next month

Sure enough it wont pass, its 100db static 5krpm and 117db driveby

Im wondering if recirculating the screamer into the downpipe will fix this as its so loud when the wastegate opens

If i do have this done, is there any kind of v-band bung/blank plate you can buy so that i can block the hole off in the downpipe and revert back to open screamer as and when i choose?

The track is Mallory Park and i know they are one of the more lenient tracks in the uk when it comes to noise limits, the trackday is 103db static and 103db driveby

I do already have a centre box on the mid pipe too :taped:

Plumb it into the downpipe, then have a exhaust bypass valve fitted, then you can open the screamer to air when you want noise, put it through the exhaust when you need it quiet just a switch to flick. i think SRD have done this on a few cars.

Plumb it into the downpipe, then have a exhaust bypass valve fitted, then you can open the screamer to air when you want noise, put it through the exhaust when you need it quiet just a switch to flick. i think SRD have done this on a few cars.

Well I enquired about that on mine and said they couldn't do it Ric as that's exactly what I was looking for. I think Littlenum said Tim at TB Developments was looking at a custom job for him.

Thanks for being the Guinea pig Chris as I'm at Oulton Park on the 4th October and there's no way mine will pass. My static on idle is 98db with the Veilside TI. Wez mentioned a company that do a screamer pipe muffler called Hayward and Scott, a full custom job so I would imagine not cheap. That should bring the noise down quite a bit though if you didn't want to plumb back into DP.

It's really frustrating as mine is predominantly a street car and the noise is all part of the fun, but I do want to do a few track days too. I guess I'll have to make a call on what's more important. See my thread here too:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?334515-Recommended-Track-Days-Any-quot-No-Noise-quot-Limits-anymore

Keep me posted mate as interested in finding a balanced solution too.

Thanks

Greg

Well what im thinking is to have it recirculated into the downpipe

Then get another vband flange and have it welded closed and use it as a bung

So then when i want noise i can just fit my dump pipe back on the wastegate and use the bung to block the downpipe

A neat idea would be to recirculate the screamer into the downpipe like suggested, but then fit another screamer pipe coming off the recirculated pipe somewhere suitable for an exhaust control valve to be installed. I was actually going to do the very same thing and thus I have an awful drawing of it, but then I realised I'd never use the switch :D

Would be a bit of fab work, but essentially it's just adding a valve-controlled screamer off the recirc pipe :p