The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Please, wheel advice; Width

Noz

Got some new wheels guys, and even though I've placed my order the supplier is saying their supplier doesn't actually have the lips in stock.

I've bought some second hand wheels, and at the same time bought some new lips to re-barrel the three piece wheel to extend them.

So the final desired width was 10.5J fronts and 12J rear.

I've not been told they can only supply lips which will extend the wheels to 11J and 12.5J.

Is 12.5J a common width? I've worries the size is uncommon and tyres may cost more. I only ever see 12J or 13J.

Some people run 11J so not too concerned, it's more the rear. I feel I'd prefer 13J than 12.5J, advice appreciated.

Not worried about fitment, as I'm widening my arches anyway. Just looking for tyre size advice please.

Over and above the width of the rim and the width of the tyre, you absolutely need to consider the offset of the wheel as well.

I managed to fit under the arch easily with a 315 on my old CCWs (11.5" ET50.8) however I wouldn't get a 315 on with my new CCWs (which are also 11.5" wide, but ET37) solely due to the offset.

Upon re-reading though, I'm presuming you'll be making the arches to suit the wheels regardless of poke? Therefore just requiring tyre options? Apologies for getting carried away with offsets if so!

A 335 seems quite common and would suit a 12.5" or 13" wheel well for what it is worth. 315 is the maximum recommended width for an 11.5" rim, with the 'optimum' being 295 - 305, just for reference. :thumbs:

Upon re-reading though, I'm presuming you'll be making the arches to suit the wheels regardless of poke? Therefore just requiring tyre options? Apologies for getting carried away with offsets if so!

A 335 seems quite common and would suit a 12.5" or 13" wheel well for what it is worth. 315 is the maximum recommended width for an 11.5" rim, with the 'optimum' being 295 - 305, just for reference. :thumbs:

Thanks mate!

That'll do grand. I hate concerns having the free upgrade on rim width would cause me running issues for tyres.

Yes having the arches extended. Aiming for the OEM arch design, but having them at a custom width. I asked about offsets in another thread; http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?335355-Wide-arch-wheel-offset-verification-please

You're advice on the offset be welcome please mate.

I'll let them know I'll be going for the increased offset that they are offering.