The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Street Cred

Lez

I’ve had a lot of cars over the years, but even from a young age I always wanted something different, what I mean is ‘to have the only one around’ feeling.

I’ve managed that more than several times but most successfully with every Supra I’ve had. The MkI I had in ‘85 was jealously called the Japanese Capri, as was the MkII. I’ve lived where I am now for 10 years, population 14,000 and arrived in a MkIII, the only one in town for 5 years. Yes!! I got my first MkIV in 2001, yeah the only one, but I had to sell after 18 months of shear pleasure to buy a house. So it was back to the MkIII’s.

But I’ve got that 'only one in town’ feeling back again now, I just love driving it around town.

Did I hear someone shout out ‘Street Cred’ ?

Have you got that feeling???

MkIV Supra is still very rare...there seem to be pockets of them here and there these days.

However Drive a MkIII into the sticks...or a MKIV we know which one gets more attention!!!!

Also When I have been abroad in it I do see MKIII's occasionaly...drive a MKIV Supra into a little Stella Artois type village...and they will hold a Carnival for you during their Siesta.

Both Great cars though..mkiv just has the edge though always drooled over the MkIII as a kid and was my dream car!

:rich:

Ummmm *ponders*

I think it was just the looks really. I was thinking about getting a Supra and was looking through JICs website when I saw a gunmetal Aerotop with side skirts and spats...

:love:

That was it, I had to get an Aerotop. The rarity factor didn't really interest me (it just became a nuisance as I had to wait 8 months to get one), and I don't particularly like drawing attention to myself so the 'so people can see me' aspect doesn't really apply (which I admit doesn't really square with driving around in a flashy TT Aerotop with the roof off).

Is that because it's rarer or because you want people to see you Dave?

Dunno about Dave but for me when I got my first supe I had a choice of all models and versions but the Aerotop was definately for me for both reasons!!

As I've done the roof off version, and now have another NA that came with most of the mods I'd do, my next will have to be the turbo.

Must admit it was similar in the Aerotop I had, people used to ask me about it just walking down the road. Maybe coz the roof was off and it was easy!

TBH, I get more "cred" in the Skyline (I know you aren't going to like that!) but its true. I have kids coming over to me everytime I'm out washing it, blokes walk over from the waiting for the bus in the bus stop to chat about it etc etc.

There are more supras around here than GTR's IMHO, always seen more Supra's than Skylines. Also most of the other Skylines round here are GTS-T's not GTR, and IMHO they just don't have the same look and visual impact.......

Still - both cars command a lot of "cred". I can't help but contribute a lot of that to The Fast and the Furious though IMHO.........