The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arp head kit and rod kit

TT Paul

Arp can be reused I'm sure.

From Arp site.

Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?

Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

Surely you can't use a second hand used set?! They are designed to stretch when tightened to the specified torque figure, so once used they are no good after, or am I wrong here?

Arp can be reused I'm sure.

From Arp site.

Are ARP bolts and studs re-usable?

Yes. As long as the fasteners have been installed and torqued correctly, and show no visible signs of damage, they can be re-used. If they show any signs of thread galling or corrosion, they should be replaced. In the case of rod bolts, if any of them have taken a permanent set and have stretched by .001” or longer, you should replace them immediately. See page 29 in the catalog for more detailed information on this critical measurement.

Ah that makes sense. So if they've been torqued correctly, and not over torqued and therefore not stretched, then yes it's ok to reuse them. But anything over 10 thou of stretch and they are no good? I'd rather not cut corners and I would buy new myself.

1 thou of stretch, not 10. 10 thou is 0.010" :)

Ah that makes sense. So if they've been torqued correctly, and not over torqued and therefore not stretched, then yes it's ok to reuse them. But anything over 10 thou of stretch and they are no good? I'd rather not cut corners and I would buy new myself.

Considering you won't know that state the used bolts would be in, I wouldn't buy used... If you Lee was taking my engine apart having built it then I'd say that's fine:)

Well if you're having an engine built then the cost of a new set of ARP's is nothing in the grande scheme of things! You can't do something like that on the cheap, and if you did you'd never sell the car for good money after anyway, word get's around.

- - - Updated - - -

1 thou of stretch, not 10. 10 thou is 0.010" :)

You're right, my mistake :) I just didn't imagine it to be that little!

So fuck all stretch is all it needs to make them non reusable, I'd buy new.

Surely you can't use a second hand used set?! They are designed to stretch when tightened to the specified torque figure, so once used they are no good after, or am I wrong here?

They can be re used. However, you must use a stretch gauge to ensure they are still safe to use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.