The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New new car - Black NA Auto

marbleapple

Evening all,

I picked up my new Supra yesterday.

This is the third Supra that I have had the pleasure of owning and I’m absolutely smitten by it.

The car was kindly sourced and purchased from our very own Keron.

With a relatively limited budget and whilst on holiday in Spain I started searching for a new car. After a frustrating first week I got an email from Keron advising that he was taking delivery of a black NA auto which would fall within my budget. He promised pictures and a day later they arrived. The first pictures he sent appealed to me, although I did hate the wheels.

After seeing how clean it was in the pictures, being told it had a decent MOT and was in very good knick, I pretty much signed up to purchasing the car straight away.

Spec:

- N/A Auto

- Pre facelift Jap import (with no ugly fog light in the bumper!)

- Cruise control

- Electric folding mirrors

- 155k KPH

Over the next week, after paying a deposit I must have text or talked to Keron about 4 or 5 times a day. He was absolutely brilliant, not only explaining things to me (I am not mechanically minded at all) but he also sourced some new wheels, tyres and rear clusters for me. Nothing was too much trouble. I couldn’t have asked for a better seller.

So at 7 am on Saturday I started my journey. 3 trains and 3.5 hours later I arrived in Leicester to pick up the car. I was met by Keron who drove me to his unit. The car was better than I could have hoped. Its nice to find an honest trader. For the next 30-40 minutes or so Keron talked to me about the car and Supras generally.

Here is what it looked like when I went to pick it up after the changes Keron and I agreed.

The drive home from Leicester was brilliant. A lovely sunny day. The car was responsive and had real presence. Its no way as fast as my old UK spec TT but the autobox was nice and smooth and she cruised fantastically. Its perfect for me as the TT's always made me nervous.

I did find a couple of things wrong with the car on my drive home which I need to look into. None of them that serious. These are:

• I’m not convinced the speedo cluster is working correctly - Either everyone drives at 100mph on the motorway or it isn't measuring speed correctly. It isn't reading in KPH though because in the 50mph zones I was keeping pace at 60mph on the speedo and overtaking at 80mph (50mph if it was reading KPH)
  • Aerial doesn’t retract. I can hear the motor but it doesn’t seem to grip. You will see that it was down in the photos when I picked it up but no longer!
  • The digital clock is a bit hit and miss. Probably just a loose connection.
  • One of the breaks squeaks

If anyone have any suggestions re these issues please do feel free to post. Advice is very much appreciated.

Moving forward I want to keep the car as plain and as clean looking as possible with only subtle changes. Other than sorting the above issues a few things on my list that I want to do are:

• - Replace the plastic headlights with glass ones
  • - Replace the front indicators with clear ones
  • - Replace the old numberplates (they look a little worn)
  • - Dye the grey carpet black to match the roof lining.
  • - Consider taking the original rubber of the dash panels (some of it looks a little worn)
  • - Address the small amount of rust in the usual place on the boot lid
  • - Give it a good detailing (which gives me an opportunity to try a whole new hobby).

Pics of the car at home:

At some traffic lights in Leicester (about 30 seconds into my first drive) someone shouted "don't ever sell that mate, they are as rare as hens teeth and nothing looks like them". I couldn't agree more. I've already had a couple of local people coming up to me and asking about the car. They are rare where I live (Baildon, near Leeds/Bradford). Really glad to be back behind the wheel of a Supra.

Finally, I just want say thank you to Kernon. A real credit to the club! I could have spent all day chatting to him, and I suspect he would have kindly have done so just to ensure that I was happy with the purchase. An absolutely top bloke.

Ric

Looks superb, although I am not a great fan of ride and handling on 19 inch tyres. But the wheel style really suits the car.

I would have to change those number plates though. We are leaving the EU and the font looks odd. Good luck with it, an N/A is a solid, and generally very reliable beast.

I would have to change those number plates though. We are leaving the EU and the font looks odd.

Agree with Chris about the plates, get in touch with Jurgen and get some of his import size ones :)

I'll drop Jurgen an email and see what he can do. I agree with you both. It was on my list of jobs.

Is the exhaust a Toyosport? Looks similar to the one fitted to the car I have just bough, what do you think of the sound?

I need to check to confirm it is Toyosport but what ever it is, it isn't too loud which is exactly what I want. I already feel I'm failing the neighbours for not keeping the garden up to scratch, the last thing I want is them chasing me off the street due to the noise of the car!

There are some very well kept gardens around you there!

Glad it's not just me that thought that :D

Don't I know it.

The average age of my neighbours is 65+. All retired. All they do is work on their gardens. Every tree is manicured and shaped, grass is cut every few days etc. My garden looks a total mess in comparison even though I spend every hour I can trying to make it look presentable.

Nice area to live though. I am very lucky.

Great looking car! did you ever manage to get the aerial to retract? Mine has the same issue

Sounds like the plastic mast is broken inside. Had this issue with mine. I managed to find a mast on ebay and swapped it over. The very tip of mine had snapped inside.

It;s a messy job with grease everywhere inside but it's do'able. :)

Great buy by the way. Looks very nice.

Sounds like the plastic mast is broken inside. Had this issue with mine. I managed to find a mast on ebay and swapped it over. The very tip of mine had snapped inside.

It;s a messy job with grease everywhere inside but it's do'able. :)

Great buy by the way. Looks very nice.

Thanks Iky.

Did you buy a whole new internal or just a plastic mast?

That's not far off the cost of an s2000 stubby aerial - they look great particularly on a black car. If that doesn't float your boat you could look at who's bought one of the stubbys (from the group buy thread at the top of the for sale section) as it will give you a list of potentials for buying their old one off them bud

That's not far off the cost of an s2000 stubby aerial - they look great particularly on a black car. If that doesn't float your boat you could look at who's bought one of the stubbys (from the group buy thread at the top of the for sale section) as it will give you a list of potentials for buying their old one off them bud

I do fancy one of the stubby aerials. Good call.