The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Delimiter And Speedo Convertor

siriusprojects

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Delimiter and Speedo Convertor from Thor Racing about a month ago and still haven't got it fitted. The reason?

Can't find anyone who can be assed to fit it! I've been to a few guys who do auto electrical work and they just mumble incoherently or claim that it's a very complex job which will take them a whole day to do. I think they might be taking the mick slightly as the guy I have spoken to at Thor Racing said that it could be done in about 1 hour.

I saw one guy who originally, after looking at the instructions said "No Problem, I can do that!". I thought "Great!" and booked my car in. However, when I took the car around about a week later he started making excuses like "Oh, I didn't realise I would have to take the dashboard off or take the carpet up in the passenger footwell to get at the ECU. I thought "How else does he expect to reach the wiring that he needs to get access to". Suffice it to say, I made my excuses and left.

I don't exactly want to travel to the other side of the country to get this done, so please, please does anyone know anyone in Somerset, Devon, Dorset or Wiltshire who could possibly sort this out for me.

It's really not difficult to fit it yourself. Take your time, a couple of hours should see the job done easily.

At least you know that its been done properly then :)

All in all what does it involve? Disconnect battery, dash out, clocks out, carpet up around ECU, a few cuts to some wires, a bit of soldering, stick it all back together, job done!

Thanks for the replies.

I might actually give this a go myself after all.

I just have one question I hope someone can help me with.

Do the wires from the Speedo and Odometer connect into the ECU in the passenger footwell? The reason I am asking is that I want to figure out the best place to fit the unit. If all the wiring I need to connect to is accessible from the footwell, can I simply install the unit there and connect at that point. If not, will this mean that I will need to attach additional wiring that will need to be fed from the Passenger Footwell to the Speedo and Odometer.

There are no details regarding the placement of the unit in the instructions included, but I would ideally like to fit it in such a way that the minimal amount of work is required in making the connections.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for dragging this one up again but I have the same question, where do you fit it?

I have a combined unit with a delimiter and convertor that I want to fit, now I can get my head round the bit behind the speedo but (guessing) I was going to put the unit behind the speedo head and the run an extra cable to the ecu in the floorwell.

This sound right?

Unit has 5 wires.

green

white

yellow

red

black

Thanks

Todd

It's one that one of the guys on the MR2 owners club made for me, he makes them for the 2s and asked me to trial it for him so I'll be doing a step by step guide, any swearing shall be left out!

I'll post the guide up if it's any help to anyone else.

• 8 months later...

I've nearly finished fitting mine now, just have 1 question I'm hoping people can help me with - where the flip is the ECU connector??

I've pulled the plastic cover thing away from the passenger footwell can exposed a few connectors, but at first glance none of them look like the one in the diagram! :help:

What colour is it? Can anyone describe exactly where it is, or even better, got a photo?

Many thanks!

Steve

Pink Wire on the 40 pin connector thats at 6 O Clock as you look at the 3 x 40 pin connectors (nearest the floor), from memory its pin 2 but its defenitely PINK .:rolleyes: :tongue:

E10 is where its located and you cut it and pass the signal from the SLD to the ECU side of the pink wire to clamp or limit its value, you might need to lengthen your YELLOW wire from behind the speedo head to reach the footwell to join to the cut PINK wire on the ECU side of the cut.