The mkiv Supra Owners Club

do i keep or sell?

peter richards

not sure what to do , been thinking for a while now but would i be making a mistake in regards increasing values, screwed up before with my brooklands 280 , but cant see the supra ever getting like that, full on production compared to just over a 1000 made .

got plenty of room to keep it dry , be interesting to hear your views

thanks peter

If you are looking at it for purely financial reward, I doubt the appreciation will outrun the running costs, tax, insurance etc. Maintenance is one of the biggest costs now and scarsity of parts. I don't regret letting ours go but she was a beautiful car.

H.

It's a tough one :)

Personally I've been in your situation twice before, and I've regretted selling within a few weeks. I will probably keep this one for the rest of my life :)

So just be sure you've lost the love before you let it go. Maybe try driving the Supra and it's intended replacement to see how you feel about them.

13 years is a long time Pete, we've been around for about the same time, I've kept it fresh by swapping loads of times! And still sometimes find my eye wandering (Isf's mainly). For me I love to tinker and feel more and more at home doing that on the Supra and see other cars as expensive leaps of faith! But in actuality they are in the main probably just another car, maybe less risky in a way.

You should get fairly strong money for yours compared to a few years back so may be the time is right and the money gap is pretty much as small as it's going to get?

It's a real difficult one. The fords just went mad. Those Capris were lovely. I sold a few Fords, (mk1 Mex. Mk1 RS1600 - yes I know, and a really lovely mk3 RS1600) of which all I really loved, great drives every one of them and all so great looking, but who would have seen what was coming.

Back in about 1982 a guy offered me an E-type for £3500 and a Renault a110 for £1000!

I will not let the Supra go, as I love it and believe it will massively appreciate but they will never be like the Fords IMO. It's an image thing, due to European racing/rallying which the supra just does not have. However, if you have the room and love it, and it is a great car to drive, no mistake, I'd say keep it as it will appreciate, considerably (thank you F&F) and is just a great drivers car and will always be such an icon for those in the know, just look at the USA market.

Edited by Hammer (see edit history)

porsche caymen, done a bit of research , i know they have a few engine issues, but if i do my homework and find the right one should be ok

Hi Peter, which model, age are you looking at? I wouldn't bother with anything pre 2009 (Gen 1). I have been looking at the 991 (911) but the 981 Cayman and Boxster are a massive step forward in looks and engineering. They may just tempt me away from the 911 which has been my dream for years.

A mid engined car is an itch I need to scratch, sooner rather than later.

H.

Hi Peter, which model, age are you looking at? I wouldn't bother with anything pre 2009 (Gen 1). I have been looking at the 991 (911) but the 981 Cayman and Boxster are a massive step forward in looks and engineering. They may just tempt me away from the 911 which has been my dream for years.

A mid engined car is an itch I need to scratch, sooner rather than later.

H.

Nothing a nice little MR2 wouldn't sort out for a budget scratch for that itch :D

Actually, I've just had a thought, weren't the 911's rear engined and not mid engined? (I could be wrong)

Yep Gordy. Always loved the 911 but rear engined layout has had to tampered with over the years to get the balance right. Porsche are too stubborn to change now, especially after making it near perfect. The Cayman, Boxster are mid engined and the handling is amazing.

I am nearly at the point where I can take the plunge once my house sale completes but I am still not sure which one to go for. I will keep this car for a very long time so it has to be something a bit special that will hopefully be worth more in 20 years time than now. If not, I will just have owned a cracking car.

H.

been looking at an 07 plate caymen not the S 3.4 they seem to be the ones that are more likely to go bang , ive had a long chat with hartech , and the 2.7 as long as its been serviced properly dont seem to suffer the faults . cant afford after 09 atm , so ill either go for this one , or wait and go for a gen2 in a year or so