The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advise on exhaust steam/smoke at startup?

supra_24

Hey guys,

Recently noticed that on occasion, if the supra is left sitting for a few days, say 4 to 5, on startup it initially emits a puff of steam/smoke from the exhaust.

To me it seems mostly white in colour, but not 100% sure. Thought it may be condensation at first due to the car sitting and a bit of water dripping from the exhaust.

I have uploaded a video of first startup today. Weather here was around 20 degrees Celsius:

Just wanted some clarification on this please.

I know this could potentially be stem seals but thought id ask in case im mistaken?

Also to mention this only happens after being sat for a few days. The steam/smoke clears in seconds and then after this, the car runs great, no issues.

Any help/advice is appreciated as always.

Thanks ;)

Edited by supra_24 (see edit history)

Have to say, that does look like oil burning. Maybe a bit too much for stem seals (although it's been a while since I've seen that) could be turbo seals.

Best thing to do to start with is get the engine either compression or leakdown tested.

Yeah im not too sure either on this one, as steam seals usually cause an obvious blue smoke from what ive been told. This seems mostly white.

The car has a brand new single turbo kit from Whifbitz since last December 2015, so I doubt its turbo related.

The weather here has been hot then cold and it has sat for 5 days until I started it this morning. The smoke instantly clears after a second or two.

No power loss from what i can tell etc. Any other ideas guys? Does it seem like white smoke/steam to you?

I discovered this smoke after fully decatting with restrictor ring.

There was no smoke at all before I decated, that's why I think the turbo seals are over...

I re-cated the car but smoke is still there lol

Ah I see. Could be condensation build up i guess with outside temperatures constantly up and down.

I just wanna be sure on this before I change seals etc, as I could be mistaken.

Check to see if your intercooler pipes and BOV are caked in oil too.

My guess is valve stem seals but this ^^^ will be a good indication. Take of the 2 large rubber pipes, one in to air box and one down to the IC and look inside the pipes and in the silver pipes for excess oil...

Not stem seals, thats for sure.

Ok so ive had a look at the BOV area and seems pretty clean on the car, no signs of oil.

Will it still be ok to drive round for the time being? If its stem seals, ill probably get these sorted over the next two weeks.

Any other ideas on this?

Guest Budz86

Stem seals, the oil has a blueish tinge to it (and anyone on DB14 can vouch I know what oil smoke looks like! Lol) Good thing is of its only doing it at start up after a few days it's only minor at the moment, hence only a slight bit of blue in the smoke. Some people run like that for years! If it was turbo seals it would do it under boost normally so easy way to check that ;)

I know this is an obvious one but worth mentioning anyway; keep an eye on the oil level