The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie & Questions ..Please.....

kevo

Hi Guys,As the thread heading says....I`m a newbie,So please be gentle....

I`m currently looking for a supra,And,Reading some of the posts-It seems like the things are bullet proof in every department,The spec`s seem a tad confusing....But what i gather,The Uk cars are a higher speck than the jap imports,However ..I was encouraged,By someone commenting the jap cars although rated at 280 bhp were infact nearer the 300bhp figure... :eyebrows: ...

On the price side of things,There seems quite a variation for the same year/model...Is this becouse of trim levels/Milages...???

I have just come from a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type RA lightweight 280bhp.....Will the supra,Feel as quick as the point and squirt scooby......????????

Also,Someone suggested that i go for a 19995/96 car....For whatever reasons...????

Any help and info will be most appreciated guys please......Kev.

Hello Kev and welcome to the BBS! :thanku:

There are a few different main spec cars i.e RZ RZ-S GZ etc. Each has its own base levels of equipment. However, Toyota offered loads of optionsfrom the factory on all models and most are very different as a result.

The 96 onwards cars are 'facelift' version and have a few cosmetic changes along with UK spec brakes (mostly) that aremuch better than the Jap units.

A lot of the Jap cars have very similar equipment levels to a UK, the only thing I can think of that they don't have as an option is the heated seats (and the crappy headlight washers) of any importance.

All cars are worth looking at, don't neccessarily judge on price, go and have a look and drive as many as possible, and you should get a feel for the better ones and can then decide yourself.

The stock J spec cars often dyno at 315BHP plus are aren't really any slower than the UK models (in standrad form) up to about 165mph. Thay are cheaper to extract extra power out of though (initially).

I would think that your Subaru would feel a bit more pokey than the supe as its really a GT car. It will also seem smoother being a 6 cylinder. You should find that the torque and rolling acceleration is where the Supra will outperform the Subaru.

Good luck with your search, post up if you need any help. :)

Thanks Steve,

A couple more questions if you can help please....

Roughly....What sort of price should i be looking at for say a 1995 supra..With around 50k Miles....?????

Is leather interior an attractive option...?????

Is it an expensive job converting the kms to miles eta....????

And...How easy is it to get spares for the supra....(Any brakers on hand).....??????

Sorry for the questions...And thank You...Kev.

Hi Kev,

If you are planning on buying one from the UK already some are converted, mine reads Miles instead of kilometres.

As for getting spares...this forum i must say is excellant, people help loads and always bits popping up for sale..spare set of turbos etc... if not someone usually has a part number so you can just go get the bit you want from toyota ;) and some prices arent as bad as you think they would be.

Leather was a option for Jap spec and i believe standard in UK cars...(heated leather ;)lol)

Price will vary quite a lot depending on car (UK spec or J-spec) plus mileage.

Personally i dont like the leather interior but its down to preference.

Converting the KPH to MPH is a plug in little black box readily available.

There are many stock parts always floating around, but most of us upgrade or buy modded parts. Again the mods etc are readily available, see the traders links in their section on this BBS.

Hope this helps, oh and Welcome BTW.

Hi Kev,

I've just picked up a 95 jap import TT with only 36,000miles for £8500 thats in really good nick which I though was pretty good. Bear in mind if you get a fresh import it may not have been undersealed so you'll need to spray the bottom of the car with waxoyl or similar (a job I'll be starting later tonight!!) and it'll be mapped to run on 100+ octane fuel (decent dealers could have sorted this out though).

P.S. My mates got a 290bhp WRX Type R Version 5 and it doesn't feel any quicker than my car!

Steve

Thanks guys.....Invaluable info ....I`m looking at getting a jap import to be honest....BUT...I have never yet been in a Supra.. :swear: ..And i dont like having dealers on,By just test driving their cars.....(Dont suppose any kind members near me would..Call for a cuppa,A chat,And maybe take me for a little run perhaps....If i said PLEASE...????)If thay are passing by....

I must admit...I love the supra shape....AND...Its longevity.

A friend,Was talking to a warrenty inspector just yesterday...(He works in a motorfactors)And the inspector mentioned to him ...That,Thay have NEVER had a supra to mend on warrenty YET.....WOW,Thats reliability for ya.....

I prefer black 95 T-Turbo...

What sort of BHP could i expect from say a decent exhaust and free flow filters please.....?????

Thanks again Guys....Kev. :rtfm:

and it'll be mapped to run on 100+ octane fuel (decent dealers could have sorted this out though).

Steve

How do they do that then? I don't think they do, unless it has an aftermarket programmable ECU.

Leather is nice to have if you like it. It won't really add any value to one car over another, but it may help you to choose a car from a short list if one doesn't have it.

I looked for:

Colour I wanted

Gerabox type (manual/auto)

Mileage and year

Leather and gadgets.

Not specifically in that order but were my main criteria.

What sort of BHP could i expect from say a decent exhaust and free flow filters please.....?????

Thanks again Guys....Kev. :rtfm:

Kev the mods you need for a J spec are as follows:

Decat £200 (?)

Restrictor ring £20

FCD £75

Pressure gauge £70

Spark plugs £100

Exhaust £400 upwards depending on your choice.

This lot should see you around 385 rear wheel horse power and similar torque levels (all measured at the hub NOT at the flywheel).

This system generally increases the turbo pressure to a regarded safe level of 1.2 bar from the standard of about 0.9 bar. It makes a big difference to how the car performs.

There aren't many cars on the road that will even come close. :cool:

Hi Steve

I think you mean Spark plugs £10

right?

I said £100 to cover all six, just a guess mate. I know the NGK ones are cheap. Don't really know how much these iridium fancy things cost, don't use them in my combine harvester ;)

EDIT - The Denso Iridium spark plugs on Miami GT's site are £99.50 :innocent:

Thanks guys.....Invaluable info ....I`m looking at getting a jap import to be honest....BUT...I have never yet been in a Supra.. :swear: ..And i dont like having dealers on,By just test driving their cars.....(Dont suppose any kind members near me would..Call for a cuppa,A chat,And maybe take me for a little run perhaps....If i said PLEASE...????)If thay are passing by....

Kev,

there is a meet this weekend Sunday 27th in Teeside, why don't you check out the thread and pop up

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=399916#post399916

:hijack: