The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Discs, pads and fluid... Am I doing the right thing...

gordy.r

So, Ive got a bpu TT auto, it's been running oem pads, discs and fluid for the last two years and it's had some abuse but never really let me down and has always performed well.

I would love to upgrade the brakes but currently don't have the spare cash with everything else I've been doing to the car and house.

I know a lot of people swear by oem discs and pads etc but I thought I'd try something a little different and see how it goes, so...

I've recently purchased some oem rear discs from Toyota and some Brembo oem spec front discs.

I've invested in some Chris Wilson fast road pads.

And I've ordered some DOT 5.1 brake fluid from Toyota as well (much to the annoyance of my parts man with me pestering him form wet and dry boiling points).

I'm hoping that by researching what I'm after I've picked a reasonably good combination that should match our even out perform my current set up.

I already have braided brake lines on the car so fingers crossed this works wonders and I can bring the old girl to a non shuddering and timely halt when required. :)

J specs I'm presuming? If so I would do a good wheels off inspection of all the calipers first, look for odd wear patterns on the current pads (differential wear on inner and outer pads, sometimes there is even an angle on an individual pad ie the wear surface is not square to the backing plate). Then test the sliders for freedom of movement the 17mm headed bolts should spin and plunge in/out nicely, gently use the pedal to push out the calliper piston and check it can be pushed back fairly easily. What I'm getting at is fitting new pads and disks into semi seized callipers won't be good on the long term - it can ruin them quickly. Free moving/properly working callipers are a must and then the disks and CW pads on top will give you very good braking even with the J specs.