The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Welded Differential (opinions)

JackyBoi

Hi everyone!

Just note I will be fitting a proper LSD to my Supra within the next few months, however in the meantime I'm really wanting to have my differential welded. It's an A02A. I only want to do this as I now feel a lot more comfortable sliding the tail out, but with the open diff it's impossible to actually power through a slide (only the wheel with less weight being put on it will spin, the other maintains traction.)

Now I know the general issues related to welding a diff, such as wheel hop on tight corners/parking, weird noises at low speeds, promoting under steer not to mention the extra stress it puts on the driveline, but I was hoping to hear people's HONEST opinions in regard to doing this, even if you think it's the most stupid thing to do, because if it seems like it will ruin the driving experience then I might just wait the few extra months. If you think it's a bad idea - why? Likewise if you think there's not a lot wrong with doing it.

I only ask because, like with most things, you've got one half that say "don't do it it's suicide" and the other half that say "pfft it will be fine" so I was hoping to hear the opinions of people with far more knowledge than myself on this matter :) thank you guys! :thumbs:

Been out in a mates s13-rb conversion welded diff and unless your a drifter and don't give a toss about your car then it's fine you already know the stress on the drivetrain and noises and harsh ride so why even consider it! What's the wait for diff? I've had a Nismo 2way , Kazz 1.5 way , Cusco 1.5 ,and a OS Giken spec x1.5 and it's OS Giken all day long forget the rest.

Been out in a mates s13-rb conversion welded diff and unless your a drifter and don't give a toss about your car then it's fine you already know the stress on the drivetrain and noises and harsh ride so why even consider it! What's the wait for diff? I've had a Nismo 2way , Kazz 1.5 way , Cusco 1.5 ,and a OS Giken spec x1.5 and it's OS Giken all day long forget the rest.

Probably 3-6 months realistically, I'd want Os Giken too but we all know the price tag on that, hence the long wait. Why do you say it's okay IF you don't give a toss about your car?

I've run a welded diff in my "drift spec" s14, 2 soarers and my aristo (all road cars)

I like the predictability and ease they bring when you feel you want to drive like a hooligan! you are right about wheel skip etc but you get used to it.

my only advice would be get it done by someone who has done a few diffs before and know what they are doing with it!

Probably 3-6 months realistically, I'd want Os Giken too but we all know the price tag on that, hence the long wait. Why do you say it's okay IF you don't give a toss about your car?

You own a 6spd single don't be tight do it right leave the welded diffs for the kids in the 318 bmw's trying to drift that can't afford a lsd , the drive is horrible you will be surprised how often you turn the steering at low speed it's not just in a car park small roundabouts low speed turns it will be noisey and dragging its arse , subframe bushes , diff bushes , it's not going to do the drivetrain components any favours

I've run a welded diff in my "drift spec" s14, 2 soarers and my aristo (all road cars)

I like the predictability and ease they bring when you feel you want to drive like a hooligan! you are right about wheel skip etc but you get used to it.

my only advice would be get it done by someone who has done a few diffs before and know what they are doing with it!

Did having a welded diff cause anything to break? What about when driving down twisty roads without losing the rear end, did it have a negative effect on the handling?

You own a 6spd single don't be tight do it right leave the welded diffs for the kids in the 318 bmw's trying to drift that can't afford a lsd , the drive is horrible you will be surprised how often you turn the steering at low speed it's not just in a car park small roundabouts low speed turns it will be noisey and dragging its arse , subframe bushes , diff bushes , it's not going to do the drivetrain components any favours

I'm trying not to be tight but 2k is a lot to spend on a diff plus like I said it's quite a while until I can afford to have it all done! I just want something fun in the meantime. Is it gonna put a lot of stress on my gearbox? Or mainly bushings/perishables?

nope, in 3 to 4 years, nothing ever broke.

you can drive it round normally no problem, just a few wheel skips on the tighter slower bends. I never noticed any understeer that some people speak of?

the only thing i would say is I only used to run the cheapest nastiest rear tyres I could buy (it's not like they were ever on there long lol) and they were 225 or 235. so If you are running wide sticky tyres it will have a worse effect

small roundabouts low speed turns it will be noisey and dragging its arse , subframe bushes , diff bushes , it's not going to do the drivetrain components any favours

This might seem like a dumb thing to say, but I have an A02A differential that isn't welded and it already does this.:shrug:

I don't have any experience of it, but it seems a really bad idea. I would think the wheels will always hop whenever you turn a corner, it's just that you'd only feel it on the tight corners.

squiffy said he ran cheap rubber with his welded diff. Any mod that means you're better off running ditchfinder tyres, gives me a big warning alarm.

nope, in 3 to 4 years, nothing ever broke.

you can drive it round normally no problem, just a few wheel skips on the tighter slower bends. I never noticed any understeer that some people speak of?

the only thing i would say is I only used to run the cheapest nastiest rear tyres I could buy (it's not like they were ever on there long lol) and they were 225 or 235. so If you are running wide sticky tyres it will have a worse effect

Sounds like you're one of the people who have had a positive experience with it. Suppose maybe I'll just need to try it for myself and decide if it's beneficial or not!

Dibs on the 6 speed when you crash ;)

Hah nope, if I ever did crash I'd build another Supra :)

Have fun driving down the motorway in the rain

What's that supposed to mean, not literally?

I don't have any experience of it, but it seems a really bad idea. I would think the wheels will always hop whenever you turn a corner, it's just that you'd only feel it on the tight corners.

squiffy said he ran cheap rubber with his welded diff. Any mod that means you're better off running ditchfinder tyres, gives me a big warning alarm.

Why does it seem like a really bad idea? Stress on transmission, wheel hop or something else? I'd be most concerned about damaging my gearbox over the diff or bushings. Also I would only be using cheap tyres when specifically going drifting, which means a spare set of rear wheels - I'd still use my current wheels/tyres for normal driving ;)

at the end of the day it's down to personal preference. I just used to put the clutch in and let it roll round some of the slow tight bends to stop the judder through the transmission. I completely understand why some people hate them! lol

if you can find a cheap open diff and get that welded so you still have yours to go back to if you aren't a fan.

im sure it will be easy enough to sell on