The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GReddy vs Mishimoto FMIC

Attero

Got a large GReddy intercooler right now that's going to be difficult to fit a stock bumper over without cutting it down.

I need a whole new pipe kit for the intercooler and found that a Mishimoto intercooler plus pipes is about the same price as known decent pipe kits.

The GReddy intercooler is so highly priced that it makes me wonder how much better it is over Mishimoto.

Is it stupid for me to move to Mishimoto?

Edited by Attero (see edit history)

I have the 4" mishimoto on my car and it works fine, no issues at all.

It's not about whether they work because I trust that they do, being Mishimoto. But whether its a silly thing to change and a downgrade from a GReddy intercooler which costs 3 times as much (probably just paying for the name to be honest).

The intercooler is old now and a Mishimoto one would give it a refreshed look, but at what cost?

It will undoubtedly be a downgrade, certainly in terms of quality. Not sure whether you'll notice any difference in performance though.

Mishimoto are a budget brand.

I have to disagree to a certain extent, Mishimoto products are well made, fitment is spot on especially the intercooler. They are rated to the same PSI rating as the ETS equivalent as Jamie Fosta has found out online. Price is great for a full kit, and they also offer a lifetime warranty. Cant argue with that really! We have a 4" Mishimoto intercooler kit and flows enough for 708rwhp. I believe the 4" kit is rated to 32psi.

I've just bought a brand new Mishimoto radiator, and can tell you with utmost certainty that it is a budget radiator. :) the quality of the welds isn't anything like the well respected Koyo radiator I had on my last single, and no doubt they are cheap because they are using cheap cores.

Compare a Mishimoto intercooler to the likes of Greddy, HKS, Wagner etc and I'm sure the difference will be very obvious.

That's not to say they don't work, just that you certainly get what you pay for with these things :)

Bit off topic here but can I ask why people go changing their radiators to aftermarket?

I've always been under the impression that nothing comes close to the stock MK4 radiator after Toyota over engineered it and then some.

Is it purely an aesthetic thing or is there another reason? Maybe to get rid of the viscous fan? I'm just curious to know if there's an underlying reason I don't know about is all :)

Bit off topic here but can I ask why people go changing their radiators to aftermarket?

I've always been under the impression that nothing comes close to the stock MK4 radiator after Toyota over engineered it and then some.

Is it purely an aesthetic thing or is there another reason? Maybe to get rid of the viscous fan? I'm just curious to know if there's an underlying reason I don't know about is all :)

It's a DIY bling thing.

Personally, I'll be changing my rad as preventative maintenance :) the plastic on the stock ones goes brittle with age, and the top rad hose and overflow spigots have a habit of snapping. I went for Mishimoto because I got a brand new one for a very good price, otherwise I'd have likely gone with either Koyo or new stock.

Im yet to see any evidence of any of the 'off the shelf' aftermarket radiators or electric fans performing better than stock :)

Chris Wilson use to do a very nice rad that I used on my track car, not at all bling but worked very well, only issue I had was running SMIC it was not protected and a trackday at Marham put three holes in it :(

Switched to Koyo, possibly not as good but much larger and ally so doesn't mind the odd stone :D

So back to the FMIC...

I'm leaning towards sticking with the GReddy intercooler and finding some new pipes. My problem is trying to find new pipes that dont cost a bomb and won't take bloody ages coming from somewhere like China. But also pipes that could be close to fitting such a large core!

Any ideas?

Are you BPU as per your sig?

I highly doubt you'll notice any difference between the 2 intercoolers for now. Any plans for big power down the line? If the Greddy cooler is rated higher than the Mishimoto then I'd say that's the deciding factor (provided you plan on going for more power than the Mishimoto is rated to).

I bought a universal pipe kit off ebay to replace all my old steal HKS pipe work , thing it was something like £80 can you not just do the same?

Did just that. About £88. What was your experience? I didn't want to wait forever for a delivery from China but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Are you BPU as per your sig?

I highly doubt you'll notice any difference between the 2 intercoolers for now. Any plans for big power down the line? If the Greddy cooler is rated higher than the Mishimoto then I'd say that's the deciding factor (provided you plan on going for more power than the Mishimoto is rated to).

Yep. BPU and would like to go single later down the line but not for a while. As above - I've gone ahead and bought some eBay pipes to see how it goes.

Bought it. The one you mentioned on Facebook I think. I hope it turns up quicker than I expect. My experience with Chinese deliveries has been dire.

One thing I would do it measure the silicon couplers that come with it, in the future you may want to upgrade them and the clamps.

China suprises me every time i order from there, normally not longer then a week , I have even ordered something the same day in the uk and the china order beat it to my door,

My experience with the universal piping is its ok but may have to cut and done few joins , to stop the joins poping off that you cut and dont have a bevel you can make one look on you tube you dont need to go all the way around but put about 6 indentations around the end and sand it around the pipe to help grip the pipe, you may want a couple of 45º joiners to help with easy fitment .

Top tip

Plan ahead pipes will fit better someways then others so try all combinations before you make a cut you will be suprised how a little angle change has such a large affect even to the point of slipping it down the join more one way slightly