The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto to manual options

supra_jms

Hi guys,

so i have been using the search feature to look at my options for manual conversion and all i have found is

350z which is too weak

v160/161 which is an old box and no spare parts available.

bmw conversion but the ratios don't seem to match.

Can anyone please give me any reviews on what they have done themselves and why?

Dont want to go built auto as i dislike autos. I actually have the money waiting but want to make an informed and right decision.

cheers

If you want manual the best route would be to fit an OEM box over the T56 as the ratios are what Toyota intended. But can you honestly justify the cost of buying a used 6 speed box (4.5k +) that has the potential to go pop in the future and find that the spares you need are no longer available?

I'd be looking at built autobox and fit shift paddles to the steering wheel.

Takes away too much from the drive for me. Dislike the tiptronic time it takes from me pushing the button to it actually changing gear. Also how laggy it is from stationary engaging the clutch and finally the way it kicks down in the most random places.

Takes away too much from the drive for me. Dislike the tiptronic time it takes from me pushing the button to it actually changing gear. Also how laggy it is from stationary engaging the clutch and finally the way it kicks down in the most random places.

It has to be the DCT 7 speed then, by the time you think about pushing the button (paddle or gear level) and actually do press the button it has already changed gear. Full throttle gear changes with no loss of boost, bit like how the tesla accelerates if you have been in one. You can still be engaged with the car in manual/sequential mode and all the benefits of a manual box just no clutch peddle to get in the way, no human error on gear changes, stuck in traffic is actually easy because there is no creep like you get with an auto and you can control crawl mode with a blip on the accelarator. Replacement boxes are a fraction of the price if the need ever came up.

It has to be the DCT 7 speed then, by the time you think about pushing the button (paddle or gear level) and actually do press the button it has already changed gear. Full throttle gear changes with no loss of boost, bit like how the tesla accelerates if you have been in one. You can still be engaged with the car in manual/sequential mode and all the benefits of a manual box just no clutch peddle to get in the way, no human error on gear changes, stuck in traffic is actually easy because there is no creep like you get with an auto and you can control crawl mode with a blip on the accelarator. Replacement boxes are a fraction of the price if the need ever came up.

So the only thing is the initial cost which is what, ballpark?

I bet if you were to actually time the shifts on manual vs auto vs tiptronic there would be very little in it, especially on downshifts. I bet the downshifts of the Tiptronic are actually marginally quicker than a manual when pressing on. The lack of a clutch pedal and gear shift action contribute to making the shifts seems slower than they actually are in the auto / tiptronic cars. Fitting paddleshifters greatly improves the tiptronic driving experience.

Neither the auto or the tiptronic have a clutch, they use a torque converter, so I suspect it is the 'lock up' speed you're referring to.

Also bare in mind that you can pick up 10 replacement auto / tiptronic boxes for the price of one Getrag 6 speed...

If you're set on a manual though, I would personally be looking at either the Tremec T56 Magnum conversion or the R154 5 speed. I'm waiting to hear how JamieP's 2JZ M3 drives before putting too much faith in the BMW box, because there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings about how these conversions drive. Hopefully it will work well, and SRD will start offering a 'drive in, drive out' conversion :)

Thing is guys i have also owned a 2010 sst evo x and the flappy paddle still annoyed me and i still felt it took something away from the drive. Im not denying the auto is quicker but its just not for me.

I have the money but want to make sure i choose the right box. If we could still get the parts for the v160 i would buy one in a heartbeat.

There were some posts recently on Supraforums that Jacks Transmissions have started to take on the v160/v161 rebuilds again as they have found vendors to remake the parts of the Getrag gearbox. Before this, they had ceased taking on any supra gearbox rebuilds because of the limitations on parts.