The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interesting info from MVP regarding my going single enquiries

Big Mark

In talks with Dusty at MVP about the PHR Street Torque kit with a 6266 turbo. I was curious regarding the GEN2 turbos and worried about the car feeling slow until the turbo spooled up vs teh factory twins

I found his reply interesting and useful so thought I'd share it here for others..................

"The GEN2 is not *THAT* much better than the GEN1. The price difference is because the GEN2 is available only in Ball Bearing. Please note the PT6266 CEA is $1074.99 but is $625 more if you go ball bearing (making it cost $1699.99). So realistically the price difference is only $1749.99 compared to $1699.99. Ball Bearing is a bigger difference than GEN1 to GEN2, if you understand what I mean. However, that being said, ball bearing on a small turbo like a 62mm isn’t that dramatic. You’ll pick up an extra 100-200 RPMs at the most on ball bearing 62mm. Now on a large turbo like a 76mm you’ll pick up 300-500 RPMs going to ball bearing, so it makes it more justifiable. If GEN2 was available in journal bearing it would probably cost $1124.99 and it would easily be justified over the $1074.99 price of the GEN1. But its not, so you have to decide if you want to spend $675 more for a GEN2 with ball bearing vs a GEN1 with journal bearing.

No 62mm turbo is laggy. Your new 62mm single turbo is going to give you more power, more torque, and quicker spool than you stock twins. You have to reset your thinking and that’s hard to do until you experience it. There is not a disadvantage to going to a small single turbo. You pick up more power and torque both on the low end and certainly the medium and high end of the RPM range."

I was looking at the 6266 journal bearing turbo mate but only decided on the PE6466 Gen 2 because I wanted more power and they didn't offer the 6466 in a journal bearing option.

Personally if you're looking at the 6266 just stick with the journal. James and others have had great results at circa 700.

It definately doesnt have the initial boost that the first turbo creates but they certainly come online alot quicker and alot harder than the 2nd turbo does

Lets face it, there isnt much from the first turbo anyway, you only smile once you hit 4k rpm on twins

That pretty much all sounds correct to me as far as what i've read so far. He said spool faster than your stock twins which is only true if you run your turbos in ttc though. It won't spool auicker than the 1st turbo on a sequential system.

Depends what size turbo you go with :) Mine outspools stock sequential comfortably, i'm seeing positive boost earlier than I was on the twins, and hitting full boost on the single a good 1000rpm sooner than the second turbo does. But many wouldn't be happy to invest the huge sums of money involved in going single only to see a 100-150hp gain as I have.

It's always a compromise :)

Depends what size turbo you go with :) Mine outspools stock sequential comfortably, i'm seeing positive boost earlier than I was on the twins, and hitting full boost on the single a good 1000rpm sooner than the second turbo does. But many wouldn't be happy to invest the huge sums of money involved in going single only to see a 100-150hp gain as I have.

:yeahthat:

My Garrett GT3582R compared to stock sequential turbos.

What spec is yours, had a quick look at build thread but couldn't find the relevant page?

What spec is yours, had a quick look at build thread but couldn't find the relevant page?

Mine is a similar setup to Nics as per his graph, we used the same HKS T04Z turbo kit. My Turbo is a Garrett GTX3576R, which is a newer billet wheel turbo, rated to just under what Nics turbo is, but spools faster, plus I have VVTi :)

Is yours sorted yet Jay?

No, still some minor issues, but the last lot of tweeks Ryan made have really improved it. I've been able to get back to datalogging for a few months for various reasons, but I'll hopefully get on to it again soon. I'd say it's about 80% there at the moment.