The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Choosing the right car

Supra_cooper

Hi guys im new on here and this is my first post so hi.

Right im looking at taking on a project I would like to build a 1000bhp areo top supra and was wondering if I buy an NA areo top can I take that to 1000bhp obvs with a TT engine.

Also if I brought a TT engine and did all the work to it could I then just pick up any areo top car and stick it in there thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can swat na to tt but the auto box won't take much past 600 horse and 600 torque and that's with a few gearbox oil coolers.

You will need to source a decent gear box and they arnt cheap.

If your doing all the work yourself then buying a na aerotop maybe the cheapest way.

Its not going to be cheap ;)

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Thanks for all the replies and yeah I guessed it wasn't going to be cheap but this is the car Iv always want since being a kid.

so what kind of gear boxes do people use then and would I be able to get any turbo engine and put it in to any areo Na or is there something I have to watch out for.

Why 1000 bhp? I assume this will be a drag monster or show queen car for bragging rights?

You won't get much use out of a 1000 bhp car in the UK.

I'd take some time on the forum to see what happens to 90% of these type of cars. You'll find after the big build and dyno wowing threads most people break them for parts or sell them pretty quickly.

I'd seriously look at a moderate bhp build, such as 600-700 bhp.

I don't think the cost of a 1000 bhp build is worth it in a 20+ year old Supra.

For the money your talking about putting into this type of build you could buy a nice facelift TT 6 spd BPU supra and have enough spare money to buy an early model R35 GTR.

You can get good use out of a 1000bhp if your willing to run m/t streets on 15" rims, this compromises your braking due to needing jpecs and handling but traction is more important in this case.

I would pick up a great condition n/a aero and swap out the gearbox for a T56 tremec. The block can be used from the n/a as the only difference is the oil squirters to my knowledge.

1000bhp doesnt come cheap, about 40k in parts alone (before labour) if your doing it properly and anyone who says different is doing it with budget, talking crap or using secondhand parts.

I would advise you to really have a good think whether you really need 1000bhp because 700 is enough to turn most men white, but it is worth it and it is fun.

My budget is what ever it cost as I'm going to be doing over some time and Its just something I really want to own.

So why are some of you guys saying 1000bhp is too much and sorry if this is a stupid question but what is m/t streets

MT Street - Mickey Thompson Streets - Usually Drag tyres.

The Magic 1000bhp has been done to death now though and you don't get new buyers really looking to do it as well becuase of the cost (so probably why most are being a bit blah).

For the money (£60k+) you could get something else which is less powerful but puts the power down better due to new tech.

Most who mod a supra for power opt for 600-700 bhp now, that usually beats 99.9% of stuff on the road..fffing quick but is actually useable on the road and does not cost upwards of £70k (still a chunk of money though)

Still its up to you, I think if you want to do it, then do it, don't worry what other people think, you will always get people who question everything you do... believe me I know.

If you want to have a 1000bhp Aerotop I say go do it, if you are prepared for the cost and the sheer fact it will be pretty much useless on the road other than rolling runs on the motorway, if that does not phase you then go for it.

First thing I would do if you get an Aerotop and go for the power... seam weld the sh*t out of it and put in a weld in rollcage... 1000bhp in a floppy chassis (and the aerotops are bad) would be intresting, not to mention potentially dangerous.

Get the chassis sorted first, then the brakes and suspension and then the power... power should be last not the first thing on your list. So many go for big power and leave the rest and well its a death trap.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

The chase for more bhp is a game of diminishing returns, 500-600bhp is doable on a reasonable budget and generally means the stock items, 6 speed gearbox diff engine etc survive pretty well. After this you start looking at forged engines etc and the power curve will have to be more peaky, so most would argue you pay more for a less usable car, but it all depends what you want from the car :-)

I would build one to 700hp as it is a lot cheaper and see how you get on. The problem is when you do such a big build like 1000hp it takes more time and money which makes it very easy to lose the love when you have 40k in parts just sitting there doing nothing. 700 was more than enough for me but I wanted to go all out this time as I won't build another again and use the best parts all round so I wouldn't ever feel the need to upgrade anything. I also wanted to feel what it's like to drive a 1000hp car :D not many people can say they have ever driven one let alone owned one.

Why 1000 bhp? I assume this will be a drag monster or show queen car for bragging rights?

You won't get much use out of a 1000 bhp car in the UK.

I'd take some time on the forum to see what happens to 90% of these type of cars. You'll find after the big build and dyno wowing threads most people break them for parts or sell them pretty quickly.

I'd seriously look at a moderate bhp build, such as 600-700 bhp.

I don't think the cost of a 1000 bhp build is worth it in a 20+ year old Supra.

For the money your talking about putting into this type of build you could buy a nice facelift TT 6 spd BPU supra and have enough spare money to buy an early model R35 GTR.

I find I only enjoy 400BHPish about 20% of the time tbh, always rain, traffic or risky conditions that prevent you from putting your foot down. One of the reasons why I'm selling mine, amazing car but not enjoying it as much as I want to

As alot of people have said 1000bhp is a hole lot of nothing all the way from 1000 rpm to 6000rpm then full power, this is why its not really useable or fun to drive heavy clutch, rough idle due to cams. Turbos have moved on abit so you may get a 70mm turbo to make that power which might gain you 500-1000rpm in lag but I would seriously get a small fast spooling turbo with a max of 600bhp