The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo 6 Speed

m4dsup

Any idea of a budget? I may be thinking of selling my uk 6 speed single.

£15-25k depending on the car (TT6 or single) and spec. If the car needs work, I would still consider it but I would prefer to have a car that's in good shape aesthetically and mechanically, preferably with oem plus or tasteful kit, in white, grey or similar stock color. Happy to hear consider all but understandably, if the car is top money and needs work or is not to my taste, it wouldn't make sense to respray it or do loads of work, rather to wait for a similarly priced car that is. I'm sure there are some superb cars out there but equally I have seem some very tired examples that people are a little unrealistic about.

Yes, I have asked him if he has any cars that fit the bill but sadly he doesn't.

Disappointingly, I was due to go and purchase a car I had already been to see which Jurgen originally imported. The only reason I didn't buy it the same day (had the money ready that day and a friend to drive my car back) was because I had shot him a message asking if he could verify a major concern I had about the car's authenticity. He was busy unfortunately and before he could get back to me a contact of his from France of all people actually left a deposit on it sight unseen. He is now having Jurgen buy it, prep it and transport over etc. You couldn't make it up really. :(

With the above disappointment, I am about ready to give up at this stage.

Keep looking mate, the one will show up eventually!

Sent from my LG G5

Going to give it another couple of weeks and then it's GTR time I think. I have had some interesting PM's about members cars, hopefully the right one comes up.

Going to give it another couple of weeks and then it's GTR time I think. I have had some interesting PM's about members cars, hopefully the right one comes up.

If you haven't already, drive both. They are very different cars.

If you haven't already, drive both. They are very different cars.

I've driven a stock tt6 and several BPU manuals along with one single supra. I've also driven a couple of GTRs at different power levels.

They are indeed completely different cars. The gtr is more functional and will get more use but I have a lot of love for these cars, hence the search.

I think you do have to be practical at some point at £15-25k is a lot for a 20 year old car, let alone the £30k+ some are asking. For me, it's starts to not make sense very quickly.

I will get much more attached to a supra than a gtr but there is not getting away from the age and image of these cars.

I think you do have to be practical at some point at £15-25k is a lot for a 20 year old car, let alone the £30k+ some are asking. For me, it's starts to not make sense very quickly.

Buy the GTR. You can then join their forum and leave ours.

Buy the GTR. You can then join their forum and leave ours.

Helpfu.

harsh! :)

OP not sure if I said before but try contacting "Ian c" he has a nice single.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll drop him a message.

I've driven a stock tt6 and several BPU manuals along with one single supra. I've also driven a couple of GTRs at different power levels.

They are indeed completely different cars. The gtr is more functional and will get more use but I have a lot of love for these cars, hence the search.

I will get much more attached to a supra than a gtr but there is not getting away from the age and image of these cars.

My dad has just spent £80k on a 50 year old car. Age has nothing to do with value.

And what is "the image" of these cars? Do you mean it's legendary status of being one of a very exclusive club, that no Nissan GTR is part of, where it can be tuned to over 1000hp without opening up the engine and/or gearbox? The only other car I'm aware of that can make this incredible claim at anything like Supra money is the Ford SVT Mustang 'Terminator' Cobra.

Or the fact that these "old cars" are still destroying hypercars on a daily basis, reliably, with nothing more than a few bolt on parts?

Might I suggest that if you dislike the age and image of these cars, why not try a Jag XKR. Shares some of the Supras GT traits, is newer, has an amazing engine, and is much nicer than a GTR to look at, sit in, or listen to.

Drive a GTR on the motorway and other drivers go that looks nice.

Drive a Supra on the motorway and nearly everyone will drive alongside you giving you the :thumbs: makes most of the kids in rear seats double take . Park it up anywhere and you will always get people admiring the ageless beauty. Honestly that feeling you get as an owner is priceless. Hypercar drivers look really glum when their £100k plus pride and joys have just been beaten by a twenty odd year old car. Modern cars are functionally superb but lack that little bit of soul that the iconic Supra has in spades. If you are buying with your head then you will buy a GTR but you will be all the poorer in the long run

The op has a skyline and rx7 per a previous thread so I don't think he's anti old school, just questioning if it's worth adding a Supra or skipping it for something more modern. Geez when you think of the members that have moved on and probably a few on here consider it every year he's got a point hasn't he? :)

Saying Supras shouldn't be expensive because they are old doesn't make any sense. I don't think any new car has ever cost more than £1.5m. Several old cars have sold for in excess of £10m.

Supras hit the bottom of their depreciation curve over 5 years ago, and like many decent classics, the values are now climbing.

This isn't unique to Supras, RX7'S, pre R35 Nissan Skyline GTR'S, NSX, and loads footer 90s Japanese classics are climbing in the same way.

The op has a skyline and rx7 per a previous thread so I don't think he's anti old school, just questioning if it's worth adding a Supra or skipping it for something more modern. Geez when you think of the members that have moved on and probably a few on here consider it every year he's got a point hasn't he? :)

Scooter I only posted because op was finding it hard to justify in his head spending over 20k on a car over 20 years old. Of course he has a point and I appreciate his dilemma as I love old Fords but would I pay £45k for a mk1 Lotus cortina approaching 50 years old maybe but in the end like me it will be his decision regardless of what we say

Yes you are right people do move on and sell up but a fair few want to come back and that says something about ownership of a Supra.

jcbt, comment wasn't aimed at you specifically, I was just trying to counter the slightly negative/combative tone that seemed to be building. I agree age doesn't matter to price but I'm a massive advocate of value for money (I'm tight!) and the Supra until recently has always been huge value for money (now I'd say it's ok). I like classic minis yet my auto TT Supra will only see me 'good' one of these which is just nuts to me as they have a rust cycle that can't really be stopped, but I don't set the prices, we just have to make our own choices and I believe the Supra has become a slightly harder choice in recent years.

My dad has just spent £80k on a 50 year old car. Age has nothing to do with value.

And what is "the image" of these cars? Do you mean it's legendary status of being one of a very exclusive club, that no Nissan GTR is part of, where it can be tuned to over 1000hp without opening up the engine and/or gearbox? The only other car I'm aware of that can make this incredible claim at anything like Supra money is the Ford SVT Mustang 'Terminator' Cobra.

Or the fact that these "old cars" are still destroying hypercars on a daily basis, reliably, with nothing more than a few bolt on parts?

Might I suggest that if you dislike the age and image of these cars, why not try a Jag XKR. Shares some of the Supras GT traits, is newer, has an amazing engine, and is much nicer than a GTR to look at, sit in, or listen to.

Age has everything to do with value. That doesn't mean an old car isn't valuable but it still has every bit of relevance.

I own a extensively modified rx7 and skyline and have done for over a decade. I have more than enough experience with the jap scene, modified cars and particularly 90's Japanese cars. I enjoy and value them for what they mean to me in terms of appeal, driving pleasure and overall enjoyment of ownership however, if you think these are not comparable to anything else and that everyone should by your philosophy be in some obliged to buy a supra as it is literally unrivaled, you sir are deluded. This "my particular car is better than everything else, the end" mentality is everything that is wrong with many car clubs/forums and enthusiasts.

If you are a true petrolhead and have had the pleasure of driving many marques and models, you should be aware that there are a great deal of fantastic cars out there both new and old. There is also a point where an older, less reliable (even if just by age) and less practical car will always come up short in those respects against a newer car with it's modern features and practicality.

My thought process is simple. I have two less than practical, loud, 90's jap cars which I enjoy occasionally on the track and road. Despite best intentions, they clock up perhaps a few hundred miles a year collectively. Regardless of this, I am trying to find a third 90's jap car...which should speak for itself. Why I am considering other options...because I can. I also have a family that I cannot take with me in my skyline due to lack of interior and bucket seats etc. or my rx7 simply due to the limited space. This means that a buying a Supra is a less than ideal choice - heart over head.

To say the GTR will never be part of an exclusive club is pretty laughable really. Overall all "GTR" models of skylines have arguably amassed a greater more significant following than the Supra has. Godzilla was born with the R32 but they have carried this through many generations and decades worth of cars and enthusiasts. The Supra is a worthy legend in it's own right but I seek not to compare, you have done so all of your own accord.

If you believe that a "bolt on" Supra can beat ANY hypercar...you are clearly very ill informed or have let your fantasies of what a Supra means to you overcome the reality of what your supra can actually do. I am fortunate enough to have a number of friends with supercars including heavily modified supercars. I also regularly attend supercar events such as VMAX where you will literally see La Ferrari's, 918s, Zondas, Keonigseggs etc. plural, taking on everything from sports cars to supercars. Yes a fully built 1000bhp supra can give them a good run but if you believe a BPU one can, perhaps you should start a tuning shop...you'll certainly have a monopoly on customers with those sorts of gains.

What many of these cars can do out of the box is astonishing. A "bolt on" GTR can achieve HUGE power. A Supra can do great for a 20 year old car but a used 20yr old 2jz block isn't going to take 1000hp for very long without opening the motor.

The image problem I mentioned is the overall perception by the others of any modified 90s car. I regularly attend meetings and pick up clients etc. I can and have done this is many sports and performance cars such as an M3, M5, 911, GTR, AMG merc etc. without an issue but pipe up in an old jap car and the perception will always be different.

Finally, my cousin has a XKRS which is superb. I have driven it hard and enjoyed the sound and feel. Unfortunately, due to the wallowey nature of them, they aren't for me. I've had more fun driving a C63 and E90 M3 but I appreciate the suggestion.

Drive a GTR on the motorway and other drivers go that looks nice.

Drive a Supra on the motorway and nearly everyone will drive alongside you giving you the :thumbs: makes most of the kids in rear seats double take . Park it up anywhere and you will always get people admiring the ageless beauty. Honestly that feeling you get as an owner is priceless. Hypercar drivers look really glum when their £100k plus pride and joys have just been beaten by a twenty odd year old car. Modern cars are functionally superb but lack that little bit of soul that the iconic Supra has in spades. If you are buying with your head then you will buy a GTR but you will be all the poorer in the long run

I agree completely. It's the sole reason why I'm looking. I've also always wanted to own an RX7, Skyline and Supra all at once and have them all where I would like looks and power wise. Hoping I can fulfill that at some point.

Amen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.